Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Colwich

What's happenin' in Wichita
discscout

Re: Colwich

Post by discscout »

Another clean up day scheduled for Saturday the 22nd. Plan on doing a little cutting and burning on the short tee for 6 and alot of burning on long tee 11 and drilling holes to install 6 and 13. Will do concrete work on Sunday.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Plans do go differently sometime. On the 22nd, we cleaned up a new short tee area for 6 and burnt a brush pile plus what we cut. We also drilled the 8 holes for two tee signs and two pin placements for both 6 and 13 and then installed them with concrete. We put down yellow flags to mark the tees. Here are the distances. 6= L-L 435; L-S 345; S-L 325; S-S 235. 13+ L-L 405; L-S 343; S-L 389; S-S 327. To get to the long 6 tee from 5; cross the bridge and take a left and then right; look for the red tee sign. 6 Short is down the long fairway to the left back in the trees. 13 is similar to the old 16 with a modest change in one of the tees. We put two baskets on 6 and only one on 13. We stole one basket on 15 to make this work. Enjoy. We are getting closer to the end.
BMFNT

Post by BMFNT »

Played on sunday with Joe Boller and Aaron Suiter. From what I gathered from Bill at the meeting he said there were 12 holes ready to play.

The first time around we threw at the wrong baskets a few times but quickly figured it out. I very much like the new set up and can't wait for the rest of the holes to be put in. There is potential for some really awesome holes on this piece of land.

Please keep us updated on the work times because I would like to help out if I can get free.
BT - ACDGC Communications Director
ChainedEvil

Post by ChainedEvil »

What is the current status of this course? Is it close to being playable yet? Just curious.
Doug

Post by Doug »

There are 12 holes done and playable with two tees each and 10 have two baskets.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Holes 1-6 and 13-18 are playable. Hope to get 7-12 done this next winter. And they just mowed so a good time to go play.
ChainedEvil

Post by ChainedEvil »

any updates on holes 7-12? I was going to be in the Wichita area on 7/19/13 and might swing by and give this course a play.
Was just curious.
Later
CW
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Bill organizes all the course work there. And he doesn't check this forum often. Due to the difficulty of working with this thorny hedge, most all the course work happens over the winter. I wouldn't guess there will be any change to the course before you come out.
discscout

Post by discscout »

One would think that since I am now retired, I would be working on the goal of completing Colwich this winter. However, I have been doing a lot of work on the home course; long over due trimming and taking out dead trees from the two year drought. I am not quite finished with that project and probably won't be for the near future. I still hope to get some work done out there this winter. I did spend three days cleaning up hole four. While not 100% done, it is remarkably better.
discscout

Post by discscout »

My friend that takes the logs for firewood when we do the clean-up is in need of firewood and we as golfers are in need of completing some more course. So next weekend, both Sat and Sunday, we will be working on holes 11 and 12. We will be working on the north end near 53rd street. My guess is that it will still be too muddy to drive in from the parking lot. So please don't cut ruts by driving in. We will start by 9 am each day. If you can only help for an hour, so be it, any help is appreciated.
discscout

Post by discscout »

First of all, it is not too muddy to drive in. Because of the issues with the wind, we started our Saturday working on hole 14. It had never really been completed. It is now pretty close to done. Some major changes on this hole making it a bit easier. 52 man hours of work today. The surprising part of this story is 18 of those hours were put in by 6 kids from age 4 to 16. I would not have included these numbers except for the fact that they worked as hard as the adults. When we finished with hole 14, they wanted to do still more so we went to hole 11 and started from the long tee; and started opening the fairway. Amazing the amount of work they did. And they wanted to come back tomorrow, but can't due to some other commitments. Anyway, progress has been made. My estimate is hole 12 is half done and hole 11 is maybe one eighth complete. Tomorrow, we should get the last big tree that needs to come down.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Three days and a total of 100 man hours. Hole 11 has started to take shape. The first half of the fairway is mostly done. Another 100 hours and we could have 11 and 12 installed. Sounds like a lot but isn't when lots of people share in it.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Keep watch of this post and the Air cap for updates. There will be a county wide burn ban starting April 1st. I would still like to get two more holes installed this year so 11 and 12 need to be finished. There is a good chance we will work over spring break. Exact time and info to follow.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The work day scheduled for next Monday has been canceled. The county is implementing a tighter control on burning before the April 1st deadline due to the large number of grass fires recently. I only hope that next winter the course will be completed.
jlsherwood

Post by jlsherwood »

Work days are scheduled for Colwich course Sunday, Dec 7 and Saturday/Sunday Dec 13/14.

Work on the Colwich course is happening today and next weekend, need volunteers! Today was kind of a last minute thing but Bill had a little help and some time available and took advantage. If you can help today just need to be sure and take some work gloves and rather than going to the parking lot just stay on 53rd, past the school and pull off the road at the bridge (you should see Bill's blue pickup)

Same meeting place next weekend. Saturday is the primary work day with Sunday scheduled as needed. Bill will be there at 9 a.m.