Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

GPS

What's happenin' in Wichita
Schoen-hopper

GPS

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Anyone have a hand held? I was thinking to check some hole distances, maybe even plot some points on a map. I may buy one, but they are pricey and if this is all I would use it for, might as well borrow one.
Zach_Keys

Re: GPS

Post by Zach_Keys »

can a Garmin do this?
YOUR AD HERE!!!!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

A Garmin handheld (hiking) GPS yes. But the kind for driving are not accurate enough for this.
Zach_Keys

Post by Zach_Keys »

i gotcha. those hiking ones would be handy.
YOUR AD HERE!!!!
BMFNT

Post by BMFNT »

If you have a smart phone you should download an app called 'UDisc'. Best disc golf app out there. I think I paid $1.99 and it has been well worth it.....

✭✭ Highest rated Disc Golf App ✭✭

✭✭ Accurately measure and save throws using GPS, find courses and get directions based on your current location, create scorecards with an unlimited number of players and a course with up to 99 holes, plan disc golf road trips, easily submit missing course information, and save discs with images. UDisc does it all, and more. ✭✭

New in version 4.4:
Now you can take photos of your saved discs. Photos will show directly on the map when you measure a throw to help visualize which disc you threw. You can also record the disc name, plastic type and weight of the disc.

New in version 4.3:
The Road Trip Planner was added in version 4.3. Use the Road Trip Planner to easily create and visualize a disc golf road trip. Any number of courses can be added to the map, and you can get directions to each one as you travel. It's a fun and easy way to plan your next cross-country disc golf adventure.

Also, a user-selected course name and hole number can be added to a measured throw for easier sorting and comparing.

New in version 4.0:
Lots of changes to the throw measure feature. Now throws are automatically saved and can be viewed at a later time or plotted on a map to visualize multiple throws on the same map. You can associate a specific disc to a throw. A measure shot button has been added to the scorecard. Lots and lots of other changes are detailed in the "What's new" section.

UDisc also plots 2800+ disc golf courses in the United States on a beautiful map and allows you to zoom and pan to see where courses are located. Using the built-in GPS, UDisc displays the closest course to your current location and provides directions to the course via the built-in maps application. UDisc lists the closest courses to you including the distance in miles from your current location. Tapping a course on the map will provide you with a summary about the course including the name, number of holes and type of baskets on the course. Tapping the course balloon will provide detailed course information if it's available for the course, including the name, city, number of holes, year established, course description, course length, tee type, basket type, and course website.
BT - ACDGC Communications Director
Doug

Post by Doug »

I've got uDisc and like where it is going. The creator is doing a lot to make improvements and add features. So far the GPS has only been good to within 16.4 feet. I don't know if that would be good enough for what Michael wants to do.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

The course distances have been wheeled. Probably difficult to get much more accurate than that. But some of the holes (18 blue at Oak, for example) cannot be wheeled. Hand held GPS devices can get within a couple meters?
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

A laser rangefinder is the gold standard for accurate measuring IMO, but those make a handheld GPS look like a bargain.

Its a lazy man's way of doing it, but I've actually found the measuring stick on Google maps/Google earth to be quite accurate, but its probably not good enough for what Mike needs it for.

What is the stated distance for 18 long at Oak? I'll bet that's within 10 feet.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

The course map says 297'. I can't remember if it was laser'd or what. Probably.

Google Earth is cool, but you can't always see all the tees and pins. If you plugged the coordinates (from a handheld GPS) into google earth, would the accuracy be the same as drawing the line in google earth? Would it be the same as using the handheld GPS to give you distances?