Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Colwich

What's happenin' in Wichita
discscout

Re: Colwich

Post by discscout »

There is a pile of wood chips there that we can use. We will get access to the city tractor to load a truck when the timing is right. Someday, there will probably be cold pack asphalt for tees. Someday, we will go back and clear the yellow tees for the kids and family rec players. flags are in on the 10 existing holes so you can see the vision. Someday, holes 4 and 5 will be finished. Seems like it is always "someday" that it will happen. Maybe that needs to be the title of the first tourney when it is all completed.
Tuesday; I am planning on going out to burn the piles on 12. Should be a nice day, calm and warm. Will start early so I can drive out in the morning and drop off supplies and then park at the parking lot before it gets mushy. Will have to carry all the gear back to the truck at the end of the day. Which brings up a point; don't drive out there. Someone did I was told and got stuck and made a big mess. Haven't seen it yet so am going on what I was told. I think I know who did it but the damage is done. Please stay off the course with vehicles unless it is absolutely frozen or has dried up.
If you can show up for just an hour, that is still 1 hour less work for me. Please help if you can. Should be there all day.
discscout

Post by discscout »

The "getting stuck" issue was blown way out of proportion. Yes, someone got stuck but it wasn't on the course to effect play. The work day went fabulous. Thanks to Jeff for monitoring the fire all day, and to Buddy, Doug and Adam and two of his boys for all the help. All the down brush was burnt and the tail end of fairway 12 is done. It looks awesome. The next workday is scheduled for Monday. I know this is bad timing in that there are bowl games and most people go back to work the next day but this is the best day. Show up if you can even for a liitle while. We will either be on 6 or 12. The real goal this winter is to get 6, 11, 12 and 13 done this winter. 13 is done, 12 is half done, 6 is 3/4 done and 11 hasn't started. That will give us 14 holes to play and just the west side of the creek to finish. Hope to see you Monday. Come out and check the progress.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Just an update of Mondays work. Only three of us worked but we cleared most of the brush piles on 6 fairway. We also decided to move the long tee to a new location to make it even longer, toprovide a more fair rough on the edge of the fairway and make mowing easier. Still probably a days worth of work to make it pristine but it is close to done
discscout

Post by discscout »

I have been stopping by after work to prepare for new fires to get rid of more brush. There is some work left to do on 13 to make it playable near the pin so that calls for a fire near that area in one of the old fire spots which will take care of part of 6 at the same time. It is going to take 3 more fires to finish 6. The one just mentioned plus two more. Now that the hole is mostly cleared, I can see that there is another change that needs to take place. I mentioned in the previous post that we moved the long tee back; well that will now be the short tee, the old short tee the yellow Rec tee and a new even longer long tee will be put in. Call me crazy, but I think this will be a hole everyone will love to hate. Once 6 and 13 is finished, these holes can be installed (probably in the spring when warm enough) and we can concentrate on finishing 4 and 5 with a little work on 3 near the pin.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Anybody up for a workday on Sunday the 15th? Suppose to be calm and warm so a fire can be had. Will work on 6 again.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Probably not going to Colwich on Sunday. The winds will be too high to burn with a permit. If I go, I will be making piles and trimming more in preperation for a future fire. Only a 50-50 chance I show.
discscout

Post by discscout »

I have not looked at the weather forecast yet for Feb 11 & 12 but as of right now I am planning on working both days at Colwich. Will be trying to finish holes 13 and 6. If you can come out and help drag brush to the fire (if we can have one) your help will be appreciated. If the winds are too high, we will just make piles that are easy to carry to a fire when we can have one. Hopefully it will be dry enough to work. Watch this space for an update by friday whether this will happen or not.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Not sure this will happen this weekend primarily because I would like to drive to the site I want to work. It was still a pond after the rain by the parking lot so it may be tough not getting stuck. I will post my final opinion on Friday.
discscout

Post by discscout »

No work day this weekend. Too cold and too windy to have a fire. Saturday looks to be a good day to work and a great day for a fire to stay warm by but the difficulty is finding liquid water to put the fire out at the end of the day. It will just have to wait. Besides, the wife is wanting some of my time. Happy wife, happy life.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Happened to stop by Colwich today just to see what shape it is in. Plan on going back tomorrow morning at 10 am to play if anyone wants to join us. The course is mowed and of course since it hasn't rained, there isn't a lot of rough. For a course that isn't finished, it sure looked good and better than the old course when it was at it's best.
discscout

Post by discscout »

It is that time of year again. Our first work weekend is scheduled for Dec 8/9; both days. I know most people can't work all weekend helping but if you can come out a morning or afternoon and drag brush to the fire, it helps. We really want to get holes 6 and 13 done this year to make two more playable holes. I really feel we can do this by Christmas if we have plenty of help. I don't mean half done and playable, I mean all done and playable. Hope to see you there. And if you haven't played Colwich since the new course has started, you are missing out.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Boys and I spent some time there today on our way back from Goddard. A ton of work has been done, and a ton more left to go.

Some of the fairways are really looking good. This place will never be a lush/picturesque course, but it is sure to challenge you shot making abilities.

Keep up all the hard work.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Thanks for the compliment Smitty. There will be a few holes on the west side that are more open when we get there. And you are right, even the done side needs more work but it is better than the old course. As far as the work days go; I plan on having dogs and chips; cook your own when hungry. It would be wise for everyone to bring some water or something to drink. Also, boots are better than tennis shoes if you have them and bring gloves. I will have some old welding gloves people can use to help protect from thorns. A pair of mechanic gloves will fit inside the welding gloves.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Looks like instead of a work weekend; it will be a work day. Sunday is suppose to be windy and rainy. No fire permit if it is windy. And I don't work with a chainsaw in the rain; too dangerous besides miserable. So hopefully everyone shows up on Saturday and we kick butt. I would like to have three fires, not just one. One around 6 basket area that won't last too long. One around 13 basket area which is big and then another around the 6 tee area which could be huge. It all depends on how many show up and how many have saws and how many can drag to the fire. The first two for sure.
discscout

Post by discscout »

I want to thank all those that showed up for the workday. In total, there were 10 men and three boys and all of them contributed greatly to the cause. I left the course around 4:30 (arrived at 8) and in that time frame we cleared out 13 tee, took down the fallen limb on 14, cleared the basket area at 6, cleared the basket area at 13, made the paths to 14 from 13 and from 12 to 13 and cleared the fairway all the way back to where we want the long tee on 6. Three fires made and put out. And we played a round of doubles before putting out the fires. 6 and 13 are ready to be installed after the city goes in next week and brush hogs the undergrowth. If all goes as planned, we will have two more holes to play before the first of the year. yippe.