Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Harry Scott Shimp Memorial Super Class Championship

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
Mace Man

Harry Scott Shimp Memorial Super Class Championship

Post by Mace Man »

Harry Scott Shimp Memorial Super Class Championship A KDGA event

Thomas Park Sat. July 7th

two rounds of 20 holes designed by last years winner Brandon Nelson ( 2012 winner will design 2013 layout )

Awesome traveling trophy for over all low score ( bring it back following year for free entry for 2013 SuperClass Tourney)

This tournament is about having a great time tossing the "lid" "Saucer" "Dish" "platter" ( only Approved SuperClass Disc please ) with your friends!! Salina will bring a big bucket of Beer to share with all of the discs flippers that are of age to partake. This tournament is about having fun and kicking back!!!!!

Pro Division:________$25.00
Am division_________$20.00
Womens ___________$15.00
Rec________________$12.00 ( SuperClass Disc with entry )

KDGA fees & Ace included in entry

8:30 - 9:30 player check-in
9:45____meeting
10:00 AM___Tee-Off

Hope to see you there!

More info will be posted as it comes in!!!
smitty

Re: Harry Scott Shimp Memorial Super Class Championship

Post by smitty »

Flip your lid Daddy-O
kewley

Post by kewley »

I got a nice Zephyr from Mace at Abilene today. This should be fun!
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

This is coming soon. Get your super class disc out and start practicing. The Swede came up and designed the course for this year. It will be a little longer than last year. Bring your A game!!!
jnotty

Post by jnotty »

I'm taking the Swede down this year!
Fair Weather Golfer
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

I so still have a few Champ Zephyrs left..
R/B

Post by R/B »

Looking forward to this one! Harry was the push in getting a SuperClass event in Kansas. Although we butted heads a few times and didn't always agree on the direction it should go, I respect his drive and enthusiasm he shared with me and others. In my thoughts I can still see him tossing that big ole zephyr on tuesday leauges. Lets keep his memory alive and continue on the spark he had with-in. Hope to see you there.

SUPER CLASS

by one19 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:21 am

born & bred on ultimate in the 70's/80's, i was introduced to disc golf last week...

i find the discs (mini whiz rings as i call them) to be quite foreign to me, although i'm picking it up.
yeah, i'm old school, but i'd just like to whip around the course with one disc - like, a wham-o, clyde.

then i went to the pdga website -
to discover that they have introduced a new classification - the super class
big & beautiful diskage - the kind grandma used to use...

they stated that they wanted to put more finesse & technique back into the game -
promote par 4 & 5 course experiences -
as well as attract former/current ultimate/etc players to the game of disc golf.

i for one, find the prospect quite attractive.
but i imagine i am in the minority.
are there others out there like me? (say: "old hippies")

is it possible that a "super class" classification might be part of kdga tourneys?
will someone be daring enough to hold a stand-alone super class tournament??

i would appreciate hearing your thoughts...............Harry
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

At least 4 super classy players are coming over from the Manhattan area. Well, at least our discs will be super classy.

See you soon!
Last edited by PETRIE on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

Last year, I found out from Mace that players taking cash in PDGA Superclass events would be considered Open in all PDGA events That sucked... so I fixed it. I went to bat with the competition committee and the Board of Directors and got that rule changed. Last years results can now be submitted to the PDGA so that all players will receive a "Superclass" rating without any conflict with the regular Disc golf game. PS, I got permission from my sponsors to use a Zephyr....; )
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

I was wondering about that Ron you da man I was thinking about winning open but still want to play am worlds in emporia next year sweet :roll:
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
kewley

Post by kewley »

Hey Salina,

Thanks for the hospitality! The ribs, subs, and beer were far better than the sack lunch I had planned to eat. The Powerade and water coolers were also appreciated. Great day capped off with a Road Warrior style Ring of Fire!

MK
FlyingO

Post by FlyingO »

I wish to thank all of those involved with the Harry Scott Shimp Memorial Superclass Disc Golf Tournament held yesterday at Thomas Park in Salina. Harry and I were "best friends" for about 20 years or so and It broke my heart that I'm now living in New Jersey and could not make it to the party. I know Harry's main criteria would have been "Did everybody have a good time?" and "Was there an air of old school hippie-dom for the day?" - I would dearly love to get my hands on anything that was printed with the tournament name on it (flyer, disc - Zephyrs? -, or whatever) for a keepsake if possible. I will be trying to get in touch with Mr. Mace about that but if anyone knows any other things I could try to get a keepsake from this superclass shindig, I am open to all suggestions. I post my cell number here (316) 250-6684, in hopes that I may hear from others who were friends with Harry and care to spend a couple of minutes sharing a run-down of the event (who won, who had those super close Ace shots, etc.) with me. Thank you so much, or as we said while I lived in Hawaii, "Mahalo nui loa" for helping to keep Harry's memory alive in the disc golf community through this wonderful event. Harry probably wouldn't admit it out loud, but he's surely happy and proud as can be about having his name associated with a Kansas Suprclass tournament. Peace baby - Mike Owens
dancingtide

Post by dancingtide »

I'm happy to see Scott will be remember through this fun, exciting, and skillful event.
Roscoe64

Post by Roscoe64 »

Thanks to all of Harry's Disc Golf friends who showed up for the Super Class tourney. It was quite touching for this special friend of Harry to see so many people show up to have a good time throwing the "lids" in 105 degree weather. Here's the unlisted link to all the video I took at this event.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqeMzGttF8o Thanks again everybody and next year I hope to join you in this and other great Super Class tournaments.

Ross Long
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

What were the final scores?