Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Doubles League

What's happenin' in Wichita
DUH

Re: Doubles League

Post by DUH »

Sirens= easy call, yes. That's MY point! If it's rain/snow/wind, I could care less if ya'll get wet or cold. But I was a few blocks away watching the clouds rotate right above us... I didn't care to have my disc golf buddies sucked up in a tornado!

You're in charge, so it's you're judgement call if the weather is really a threat or not. If it'd been me, I'd have called it & gotten everyone to safety immediately. Next time, you should do the same.
Vest

Post by Vest »

Gotta add my 2 cents. I don't run league and I have only been involved with the ACDGC for a short amount of time so I don't have a lot of room to speak about league policies. That being said, I think it is a no-brainer that league should be called on the event of lightning or tornado warnings. If anyone wants to finish their round in life threatening conditions that's their own decision but by not calling league you are discouraging golfers from making the smarter decision of leaving the course. I felt horrible leaving my partner (Wiggins) but my better judgement forced me to make that call. We were on pace to win or at least cash and that made my decision to leave very difficult. I am not a fair weather golfer. You can ask anyone I play with. I will play in blizzards, downpours, pretty much anything God throws at us but I am not stupid enough to ignore life threatening conditions and I think that league policy should not encourage this kind of stupidity. I don't mind people hanging sh*t on me for being a wuss and leaving during a tornado warning but finishing league shouldn't factor into my decision. In light of what has happened with the tornadoes in the south and Joplin I was surprised to see scores and payout posted on this forum.
crispinthomascarrasco

Post by crispinthomascarrasco »

wud'n that bad...
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

I think every one is missing or forgeting one of the points Mike made in his original post. If the groups were done in forsomes instead of sixsomes maybe just maybe the league could have finnished up sooner. I for one get kinda frustrated when there are groups of sixsomes out there holding other groups up. Sure its a blast to play disc with otheres and i always feel during casual play that the more the better. BUT in the evening during league even if there isn't a weather issue or a meeting after some times I am in a hurry to get done and out of there because thursdays is bike night . I have plans to meet up with some biker friends on some thursdays and if league runs long because of sixsomes then it hoolds up my other plans or plans other people may have.

I also agreee with mike on some thing else. He is not out there to babysit every one . They are all big kids and adults out there and can make a decision for them selves. With out a plan on how League is going to be stopped early (Which may not be a bad idea to have) already in place then how is he to call it off? I know I dont carry a whistle or a horn in my bag and heck I have a lot of crap in my bag. I think instead of every body attacking Mike for a decision he didn't make we should come up with a solution on how to call league off in the middle of rounds.

People may ask what the heck am I even chiming in on this when I wasn't even there. I was accualy on my way to oak on the bike after having dinner with the wife. I was coming out to see some one about a disc when we got hit by the first drops of rain. was no big deal but as it got worse it did become a big deal. Hail hurts when your on a bike. My point is we ended up waiting it out some where on broadway and thats what the disc golfers could have done too. Being in there cars would have been the safest place for them . But it would have been safer for them to stay there in their cars than to be out on the road in them. visability was down to nothing .

Good luck with this issue i really hope a plan gets in the works on both the Calling off of league in the middle of a round and solving the issue of sixsomes.
Chain smoker
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Lets close the topic with this: If anyone feels like I owe them their money back, send me a PM by next Tues or Wed. Since I said I would do a payout, I will do a payout for whatever prize money is left. I will donate any of my winnings back to the club. In the future, we'll handle this differently. That's the best I can do for now.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Well, I ran the ideas by the players at league on Thursday, and I must say that there is still considerable disagreement. Might have to have a meeting so a decision can be made on bad weather to arrive at the most sensible (safe) and fair solution. Here are some of the gripes.

-Players expect 18 shots at the ace fund.
-Can't call any scores final if 18 holes aren't played because different groups play different holes, different number of holes, etc.
-Not fair to players who have finished 18 holes if those who don't finish 18 holes are expecting a refund.
-I can't call off a round if I am not there. I usually won't play in really bad weather.
-Hard to say when to make the call to quit. If your Iphone shows the radar of a storm clearly missing town to the North, there is no rain, yet the sirens are going off, do you quit? How close does lightning have to be for calling the round?

I still think that if people know their is bad weather and still want to play league, they shouldn't expect a refund if they do not finish the round. As of right now though, that is all we can do. Players must finish the round to be elegible for a prize fund UNLESS the TD calls off the round. Then the round is cancelled and everyone will be refunded $3.50. Could have the players mark the lies, but if a delay was more than 20 minutes, even in the mid summer we would not get done before dark.
Notorious ROG

Post by Notorious ROG »

Is it doubles or singles tonight and is league at oak park! In town to get my disc on....
Thx ROG
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Dubbles at Oak, ROG.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

7/7/2011
Oak Park
Short Tees

18 Players
Mid 80's, light winds

Had 9 pros, 9 ams, short tees, no newcombers. Conditions were right for switch doubles tonight, so we gave it a go. It was a little tougher than best shot. Instead of 80-90% on the pro, it is about 60-70%, so the am player contributes more to the overall result and strategy can factor more into the score as well.

Iqbal & Russ: -9
Jeff Ring & Bob: -7
Mike & Don: -7
iqbal

Post by iqbal »

My -9 with Russ killed this thread. Well I'm bringing it back. 25 players, 1 cali

Iqbal & Rusk 46
Howard & partner 48

That's all I remember, I need some help with the rest.
Pudge19am

Post by Pudge19am »

Mike Shoenhofer and Jeff Laha 49
Russ Trice and Andy Horning 49

Shot of the night In our Group was Howard Dine Throwing his nuke 50' past hole 9's basket from the long teepad down the center with a low ceiling.
And then Jerry Sherwood Nailed the 50' comeback put for birdie.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Found a no name Millenium disc on hole 11 @ Herman last Tuesday. Tell me what you're missing.
Throw Millennium.
Pudge19am

Post by Pudge19am »

Camp Hawk Doubles 5-24-12
10 pros and 13 ams
Played 20 holes, Par 60

1st place Brandon Nelson (Cali) 49
2nd place Winning in a playoff for 2nd Smitty and Marty Hunt 51
3rd place losing the playoff for 2nd Brian Thompson and Scott Parker 54 -3 (am/am team) = 51

good fun times at the HAWK.
Pudge19am

Post by Pudge19am »

OAK DOUBLES LONG 6-7-12
34 players

Russ Trice , Brandon Sarmiento 55
Curtis Broadhurst , Moses Reed 50
Jeff Ring , Lizzard 54
Andy Horning , Ethan Pounds 56
Russ Horning , Stan Stiverson 56
Grant Summers , Don Zimmerman 55
Ben Moss , Jeff Tipton 57
Jeff Vest , Austin White 52
Brandon Tackett , Phillip Beith 55
Buddy Kasner , Miranda Fulton 55
Mike Schoenhofer , Mark Anderson 57
Brad Roeder , Marcus Anderson 54
Jack 2away , Jeremiah Tipton 52
Martin Gu , Bill Taylor 52-3(am/am)=49
John Coffield , Nate Taylor 61-3(am/am)=58
Jason Butler , Kevin Arndt 59-3(am/am)=56
Nick Parson , David Blackwell 62-3(am/am)=59
Pudge19am

Post by Pudge19am »

Oak Doubles (Switch) Short 6-21-12

We could not play switch because we had an odd number of people.
So it was Oak Doubles Short.

11 open players and 14 ams

Jeff Ring / Jason Butler 44
Russ Trice / Lloyd Majors 45
Brian Thompson / Jerry Sherwood 47
Ryan Ashby / Don Zimmerman 51
Jeff Vest / Cali 47
Buddy Kasner / Patrick Smith 45
Curtis Broadhurst / Jehramy Heckman 47
Russ Horning / Bill Taylor 46
Andy Horning / Martin G 49
Bill Paulson / Jeremiah Tipton 52