Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Course Work / Tournament Preparation

What's happenin' in Wichita
Schoen-hopper

Re: Course Work / Tournament Preparation

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Doo Dah 2012
We have 4-5 days to work on the courses before the tournament. As far as I know there, is no organized work days for this. It will be up to people to volunteer to help (call some people for help or just go do it). Here are some items we should do as always:

*Trash pick up at both parks.

*Basket cleaning at Oak. The yellow paint remains on the baskets on several of the holes. It needs scrubbed off with some thinner and scotchbrite or the like. I have new red numbers for the nickel plates in the clubhouse if these have to be removed.

*Wood chips at Oak. I'm getting a load delivered today. If you can get somebody with a skid loader (Stan Stiverson helped last year), it will make the work 5 times easier. Otherwise it's shovel them into a pickup truck. They should be dumped mostly on the old 9, which is holes 1 through 6 and 16 through 18. Tees and around baskets wherever bare dirt is present. What the tees really need is dirt work, but that is more work that anyone is willing to do presently. I have a whole list of course improvements we'd like to see, but that is currently on hold.

*I asked the city to get basket 15 at Oak rewelded.

*The city said the contractors are scheduled to mow both parks this week. With all the lack of rain until recently, tall grass shouldn't be an issue.

*I don't know who or how the course OB will be set up. Do we want to string the river or flag it? Who can do it? There is much more of an issue with the river OB at Doo Dah than at round up since the pins are both longer and closer to the water. Need to get with DD and discuss the course map. If we want to do the same as last year, that is fine, but there is a new sidewalk long of pins 3 and 9 at HH that need added.

*I will take care of drop zones and mandos on Friday night as usual. I may flag the tees red and blue to prevent any possible mix ups as well. That may be all I can do to help this year.

If there are other items that need taken care of before the tourney, feel free to post here. Maybe someone can lend a hand.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Trash really isn't an issue at either park. They both looked as clean as you can expect for a city park.

The yellow baskets really are not that big of deal. In fact I didn't notice any that just looked horrible.

I don't really know that chips are that big of deal. They only help when it is raining, then when it rains they just wash away.

You really don't need to string the river either. I think it would be just as simple to say. If you disc is in the water it is OB. If it is on the bank, pull it to the top take a meter and proceed without a penalty. Any disc on the edge, people are going to crawl down and get anyhow.

I think the sidewalk behind 3 at HH should play as OB.

Hole 2 at HH is going to be the biggest issue over past years. All the construction leaves lots of room for conflict. It needs either painted or a string ran.

Holes 12 and 16 at HH will have the same ruling questions that they always have.

Just my $.02
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

smitty wrote:Trash really isn't an issue at either park. They both looked as clean as you can expect for a city park.

*The yellow baskets really are not that big of deal. In fact I didn't notice any that just looked horrible.
*I don't really know that chips are that big of deal. They only help when it is raining, then when it rains they just wash away.
*You really don't need to string the river either. I think it would be just as simple to say. If you disc is in the water it is OB. If it is on the bank, pull it to the top take a meter and proceed without a penalty. Any disc on the edge, people are going to crawl down and get anyhow.
*I think the sidewalk behind 3 at HH should play as OB.
*Hole 2 at HH is going to be the biggest issue over past years. All the construction leaves lots of room for conflict. It needs either painted or a string ran.
*Holes 12 and 16 at HH will have the same ruling questions that they always have.

Just my $.02
*Yeah, the sidewalk and across should be marked OB for both 3 and 9. Makes 3 pretty tough.

*I think the sidewalk should be the OB line for holes 1 and 2. That would be a change to the map.

*You said hole 2 has been an issue in years past? When they didn't have construction? I'm not sure what you mean. What does it look like now? Is the curb torn out or is there equipment parked there?

*There are a couple of new pins on hole 8 at Oak. Remember that the sidewalk on hole 8 is not out of bounds.

*Hole 16 has been strung in the past due to the tall vegetation and the poorly defined water line (shallow with rocks). If we aren't stringing it, this could be a problem. OB is in the water only for the pond and inlet creek. Sidewalk is safe on this hole.

*Hole 12 has always been sidewalk and across (to the right towards the WATER Center) is OB. The 2 sections of sidewalk that go around the pond and meet up with the main sidewalk are safe, as these must be thrown over. There are blue painted lines on the sidewalk that show where this OB distinction takes place and it is always flagged for the tournament as well. If someone wants to take the initiative, you could call these safe sidewalks OB and everything in between them and make a drop zone farther up the hole. It would play much tougher for the shorter throwers.

By the way, hole 12 should be getting trimmed up by the pond near the long tee. Or has it been already?
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Oh yeah, as to the river OB, for league (at Herman Hill Park) we play the river bed as OB and the bank as safe. You can't just say the water is OB because there is often sand bars down there on hole 6 and even on hole 16, and these should never be played safe. Defining the bed from the bank is a player call. Also, it is quite dangerous climbing down there to get discs. There is rebar sticking out of concrete chunks, who knows what else. If someone would flag it or string it, that would be best.

At Oak Park, I think the river bed should be the OB line. Not too many shots are going to land on the bank that aren't on top as there is virtually no bank for most of the holes, so these probably shouldn't be punished. That would also be a map change. Need to get DD's mapmaker to contact me about this stuff and we can hammer it out in some email correspondence.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Hole 2 hasn't been an issue before, but it will be this year.

There is really no curb behind the hole, I know because I rolled into the dirt Saturday. Didn't pay attention to the right side, but I don't think there is a SW at all. It has all been torn out for the construction project I believe.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

when they are spraying the circles around the baskets (if we are doing that this year) have some one go and shoot a OB line on 2 at HH that fallows the grass line around the construction area. as far as the river goes i like smittys idea. if string or paint is out there along the river or not its not going to matter people will go get the disc that has gone over the edge. I say let them go get it bring it up to the top and PLAY IT SAFELY with out a penalty. If its wet its out and a drop is applied to the score. if its dry a safe 1 meter drop would work.

wood chips suck.. sorry had to say it. but why do we spend so much time putting them down every year just to have them all wash away the next good rain? there has to be some thing better that would last longer that that . gravel? river rock? . besides putting them down accualy makes it muddy out there because it doesnt allow the grass to grow so once they wash away you just have a mess out there every time it rains.

on a possitive note though the trash is alot better latley than it has been in past summers. good to see the trash cans being used and full. just wish they would dump them a little more often.
Chain smoker
Tito

Post by Tito »

Just spent a good hour removing most of the sloppy yellow paint from 9, 11, and 12 at oak...the nickels look kinda bad still...perhaps some gray rustoleum and new numbers would help...picked up some trash...if us locals can remember to bring along a trash bag on our practice rounds this week...we should have it looking pretty good come tourney time.
Sarmiento

Post by Sarmiento »

There is a bee hive near 14 long at Oak.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Thanks Tito! If any of the numbers are gone or need replaced, we have stickers in the club house.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I heard that Stan is going to help with the Skid Loader again this year. This should be happening Wednesday. Always easiest to get it done while you have the equipment, so we should try to spread everything that gets dumped. Bring rakes and shovels and gloves. Remember that closest to the tees and pins the coverage should be thicker. Other bare dirt areas like trails just need a light cover.

It will look nice for a while. Long term solutions would include building up the dirt on all the tees, putting retaining walls in near the sloped pins. Getting new baskets with alternate placements so the pins can be moved. If some spring or fall the city ever got serious about planting grass, we'd probably need to take the baskets out altogether to have any hope of getting grass to grow back. The way the weather has been in the summer, even this wouldn't do any good as it would all die out due to lack of water.
Scottism

Post by Scottism »

The grass won't grow around the baskets & tees @ Herman because the city sprays poison around them, killing everything off.
Basket 15 @ Oak is hanging off the welds and about to fall off. Is there plan in place to fix it yet?
Aarron & I moved some dirt and wood chips around short tee 6 @ Oak. Less likely to fall off & twist an ankle now.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Thanks, Scott! I will check back on the welding. That was supposed to happen this week.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Stan will be there tonight between 5:30 and 6pm. Please come, even if you have no tools. There may be a few extras. Plan is to drive around the course with 3 to 4 tons of dirt and build the tees up where needed, then dump the chips on the trailer and shove them off at each location so we don't have to make so many trips with the skid loader. Sounds like we have 2 hours to get this all done, so we'll need all the help we can get.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Be sure to thank Stan. He saved the day again. Brought a bunch of dirt, a trailer, and a skid loader. Got a day or twos work done in 2 hours. There's a couple of areas that didn't get chipped, but we ran out of chips. Tees got dirted and tamped and should be in good shape for a while. Lots of other helped: Jerry Sherwood, Brandon Sarmiento, Buddy Kassner, Jeff Laha, Curtis Broadhurst, Marty Hunt, Les Ramsey....

Will flag the tees and drop zones tomorrow and Friday.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

It's that time of year again to get the courses in as good of shape as possible before the Doo Dah tournament. Many of the same items as last year need addressed. I'll probably have very little time to put into this, so we're looking for people to take charge on this.

*I'll ask about the mowing schedule for both parks. If a fresh mow isn't in the schedule for the week prior to the event, it may not be possible to get it changed, we'll see.

*I can ask for a load of woodchips to be dumped in the corner by basket #5. I could even get dirt if someone wants to level up some of the more eroded tees. This would take a skid loader for sure as dirt is too heavy to haul around in a pickup. If I have the chips / dirt delivered, it has to be put on the course. It can't be left in a pile. Someone try to organize getting a skid loader and a crew. If that isn't possible, anyone with a pickup truck, a big shovel, and some rakes can go after it.

*Don't know how the OB will be marked along the river at Herman Hill. We had talked about purchasing a line chalker, but that hasn't happened yet. We need a volunteer to string and flag (white) the OB. We did purchase some new flags. Please don't bend them, so they can be reused. The last few years we've been getting complaints because we leave the string and flags on the course; let's get them picked up right away after the event.

*Need to look at the course maps for updates to OB situations. New course maps (updates) is another thing I have in the works but haven't accomplished yet. If someone can email me the tourney maps, I'll identify any potential changes that may be needed.

*I'll try to mark the mandos and drop zones on Friday night. I may or may not flag the tees blue / red.

*Trash should be picked up at league prior to the event. (Or any time before that).

*I'm sure there are other items to get the courses in shape. Identify them and as long as it doesn't require permission (like tree trimming), go ahead and get it organized.

Schoen-hopper wrote:Doo Dah 2012
We have 4-5 days to work on the courses before the tournament. As far as I know there, is no organized work days for this. It will be up to people to volunteer to help (call some people for help or just go do it). Here are some items we should do as always:

*Trash pick up at both parks.

*Basket cleaning at Oak. The yellow paint remains on the baskets on several of the holes. It needs scrubbed off with some thinner and scotchbrite or the like. I have new red numbers for the nickel plates in the clubhouse if these have to be removed.

*Wood chips at Oak. I'm getting a load delivered today. If you can get somebody with a skid loader (Stan Stiverson helped last year), it will make the work 5 times easier. Otherwise it's shovel them into a pickup truck. They should be dumped mostly on the old 9, which is holes 1 through 6 and 16 through 18. Tees and around baskets wherever bare dirt is present. What the tees really need is dirt work, but that is more work that anyone is willing to do presently. I have a whole list of course improvements we'd like to see, but that is currently on hold.

*I asked the city to get basket 15 at Oak rewelded.

*The city said the contractors are scheduled to mow both parks this week. With all the lack of rain until recently, tall grass shouldn't be an issue.

*I don't know who or how the course OB will be set up. Do we want to string the river or flag it? Who can do it? There is much more of an issue with the river OB at Doo Dah than at round up since the pins are both longer and closer to the water. Need to get with DD and discuss the course map. If we want to do the same as last year, that is fine, but there is a new sidewalk long of pins 3 and 9 at HH that need added.

*I will take care of drop zones and mandos on Friday night as usual. I may flag the tees red and blue to prevent any possible mix ups as well. That may be all I can do to help this year.

If there are other items that need taken care of before the tourney, feel free to post here. Maybe someone can lend a hand.