Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Colwich

What's happenin' in Wichita
Schoen-hopper

Re: Colwich

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Derby is scheduled for that Saturday. That is the last event on the schedule before a new schedule is made. If its after that, we could have a league event and clean up day at Colwich. Pick a weekend. Of course, it's whatever gets it done. If the league players aren't the same ones helping, you could do Derby league and Colwich work same weekend.
discscout

Post by discscout »

So both days- Dec 10/11 work and play league. One day singles and the next doubles. Any more input? This issue is still not settled.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Were only doing one league per weekend now. That weekend will be scheduled for Sunday. We could see if there is interest in running a Saturday league that weekend as well.
Doug

Post by Doug »

There are some non-leaguers lurking out here that might be able to put in some time. When you post your final decision, note when the event will be played and when the work time will be. I know the group I'm with wouldn't be available on a Sunday morning.
discscout

Post by discscout »

We will have the work days on Dec 10th and 11th. We will start both work days at 9 am. The goal is to make hole 6 and 13 playable and possibly install the tees and sleeves depending on weather. I have also marked the yellow tees for the 10 installed holes. Only about half of these are even playable. That is not a huge concern of mine to make them playable since the existing holes are not that hard to begin with. Marking them now is more to show what will happen in the future after the 18 are done. Back to the work day; hole 13 only needs a haircut. It will be utilizing an old existing fairway that is mostly cleared, just needs trimmed. Hole 6 was started last winter. There is a ton of dragging to do and more cutting. I will bring leather gloves to help protect your hands. Hole 7,8,9,&10 could be done in about the same amount of time as 6 &13 will take. That will leave 11 &12 to finish. 12 was started last winter and is half done but nothing has been done on 11; alot of work there to do. There is still at least a day of work to finish 4 and 5 and 14 also. It is hoped that we finish by spring for a spring install and then a tournament. Please come and help even it is for just an hour.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Don't get your hopes up but I am trying to get permission to have a small fire for everything we cut during the upcoming work weekend. Since we are taking all the firewood out of the picture, the brush should burn just fine. If we get permission, we either have to put it out at night or spend the night. So if we get permission, anyone up for winter camping? I should know middle of next week.
discscout

Post by discscout »

We now have permission to have a fire on Saturday. Sunday is still questionable. We will not be burning the big piles, that is too dangerous for us to handle but can burn all we cut plus some that is already down. I already have 6 people saying they are bringing saws. A couple of those may back out. This means we need a bunch of people to help drag the short distance to the fire. The more that show up, the less work for everybody. So bring your cans of root beer and have a good time with us on Sat. Planned start time is 9am and end sometime before dark.
discscout

Post by discscout »

If you can only come out and work for an hour, that is an hour less work for someone else. Please help. Bring leather gloves if you have them. I have large welding gloves people can use to help protect their hands. The fire is never a done deal until the day of. I have to call 911 to get permission the day of and if the ceiling is too low weather wise they could deny. Has to do with pollution. However, Sat should be a go for what I know about weather. I predicted snow for Colwich Tourney three out of four years didn't I?
Doug

Post by Doug »

There are 3 and possibly 4 of the group I throw with that can come out for a couple hours Saturday morning...plan on being there about 9:30. No saws in the bunch but we'll drag branches!
discscout

Post by discscout »

Thanks- that is what we need, The more people, the less work for everyone. I pray we can have the fire. If everyone shows that says they can, we will finish holes 13, 6 and 12 and get them burnt and hauled away. I have another crew coming to drag in the afternoon.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

League is at Colwich today. Go out and help Bill get things finished up so we can play some golf! I had to work again today. Will make it out though, probably about 1pm.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Not as many people as I hoped but still had a good showing, 12 people with 3 saws. 13 is done and playable (no basket yet); 6 is almost done and 12 has a big hole put in it. Thank you to all the people that showed and helped. There was 6 on Sunday morning that picked up most of the brush left down the day before. Burning is truely the way to go; a slight scar on the land but no brush pile to move and a place to keep warm if needed.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks Bill for all your hard work and leadership! I know the three of us that came Saturday morning enjoyed the dent we put into 6 and clearing out the surrounding area...can't wait to get back out and see how it looks! It's going to be a fun course!
discscout

Post by discscout »

Ace and Robert spent a couple days out at the course making piles of down limbs on hole 12. The piles are such that each can be picked up and carried to a burn pile when we light the fire. The next work day will probably be sometime over the holiday break as my burn permit only lasts until Dec 31. When I go depends on the weather report for no wind and what family committments I might have. I will try to give some notice here prior but it may be last minute.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

It was cool to see the progress out at Colwich. I remember talking to Bill a year ago working on the course then. Trying to see his vision for the new course design. I must say it is quite something to be able to picture disc golf holes in the middle of hedge hell. And quite something else again to get it all cleaned up and offering players a type of golf they won't get to play anywhere else.

I like the 10 hole layout with 2 baskets. All kinds of fun games you can play on a 2 basket course. 2 sets of tees in, so 40 playable holes. A couple weeks ago, we played blue tees to the long baskets followed by red tees to the short baskets. So a middle of the road difficulty setting. But it was cold and windy that day. 7 under won it in doubles. I think it might be slightly easier than the old course, but not by much. It's shorter, but way more technical. Many more trees in play. I think this kind of course would play much harder in singles because there are big numbers possible on many holes, certainly if it's windy. Let's see how well I remember the course:

Hole 1. Shorter hole with a right or left turn depending on which basket. Tough in a South wind. And if there is a North wind, there is a chance of going long OB, some of the only OB I noticed in play on the course.

Hole 2. Plays similar to the old hole 18. Perhaps the longest hole? Short pin is much shorter though, and left.

Hole 3. Difficult tunnel shot. It looks like there is a lefty shot out to the left, but if you want a chance at birdie, the tree riddled righty / straighter route is best. On the long pin, this is quite the challenging throw. I'm guessing 360' of trees, but it seems much longer. Bill, you have distances posted somewhere? I noticed the signs were all well marked.

Hole 4. Short hole plays righty for the red tee. Interesting long pin is beyond a cedar tree barrier that is pretty tight. I saw Bo nail a very tough putt from some really rough stuff on the right short of the green.

Hole 5. Long pin is a pretty fun shot. Open near the tee, which is by hole 2 tee, but with some of the nastiest hedges on the course before the basket. Very distinct chance of getting tangled up in this mess. 3 out of 4 shots ended up in the snarl at the bottom of the biggest tree. I threw what looked to be a perfect drive that got swatted. I think this tree could be given a "haircut".

Hole 6 to 13. I saw some of the progress on hole 6. Looked like some of the toughest cutting on the entire course. But it will be fun once cleaned up. Sorry, I can't remember how holes 7 through 13 will play. I think Bill said hole 7 (or was it 13?) will play like old hole 16 backwards.

Hole 14. Similar to hole 3 tunnel shot on the other side of the small creek. Great tunnel shot with baskets to the right and left. Takes a great drive to birdie. Like hole 3, lots of opportunity for "early wood".

Hole 15. Tee is close to where 2's red tee used to be. Tight tee, open middle, and a little interesting near the green. Wind a factor on this green.

Hole 16. Confounding short hole. Shouldn't be as hard as it seemed. You have to play a low shot with distance control.

Hole 17. Big difference is distance from the short to long baskets. Short is a fun ace run, but nice looking hole. Long is a righty hyzer finish back into the woods.

Hole 18. Backwards old hole 1. This hole is tight! Kamikaze route on the right or use the old #1 fairway to the left. If you don't have good plastic, you may end up impaling a disc to join Maass's collection of dead frizbees.

Great course now. Will be better when it is done. Please help Bill finish it up at every opportunity you have. Will be so much better to get it cut out before summer. Another thing that will greatly improve this course is some better teeing surfaces. Will often be muddy. Perhaps we could do some kind of gravel mix. Woodchips would be a temporary solution.