Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Colwich

What's happenin' in Wichita
discscout

Re: Colwich

Post by discscout »

Last saturday, Paul used an industrial mower and a grapple to mow and remove brush. The fairways are really taking shape. This course is going to have some short technical holes, short open and some long holes. It will be left hand friendly. Just the lay of the land makes it that way. Anyway, this coming Saturday, May 7th, there will be a workday all day. The grapple leaves a lot of limbs behind. These all need to be picked up, thrown in the back of a truck and hauled to a burn pile. So bring a truck if you have one. A couple of Colwich boys are bringing chain saws and hope to finish all the trimming needed before install takes place. Paul is also coming back soon to spray for Poision Ivy and heavy brush. Once all this takes place, we can install 10 holes with two tees and two pin locations. If we can get a lot of help, this could happen real fast. If you can give an hour, so be it. You will really like this course.
Coueylicious

Post by Coueylicious »

What's up on this course? Is it finished? Close to finished? Not close at all? (I hope it's not this one). I've played this course once, but that was like 2 years ago. I'd really like to check it out again if it's playable now.
"Excellence is the unlimited ability to improve the quality of what you have to offer".
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

The course has been pulled for about a year now. The disc golf course gave up acreage do to the lack of play and the difficulty to maintain. Bill has made a new design that will require less land, but should still play very challenging. I've seen a few of the holes and some of the wooded tunnel shots are unique to the Kansas region. There has been a ton of work out there, though this was the result of the effort of just a few folks.

Bill will chime in soon, but I believe he plans to get 10 holes of the new course put in this fall. 2 placements, 2 tees per hole. The final 8 holes will be put in when more clearing is done. We'll will need a work day or two to get this done. We've done club events out there in the past to encourage more support for the work days. Bill will probably want to get started on this before league switches to weekends though. Stay tuned. Please post if you would like to be contacted about helping this course get in the ground.
Coueylicious

Post by Coueylicious »

I can't guarantee I would be able to show up for a work day due to a hectic work schedule (And 2 daughters taking up a lot of my time) but I'm not completely ruling it out either. When a work day is scheduled someone feel free to PM me and I will be more then happy to lend a helping hand if I'm available that day.
"Excellence is the unlimited ability to improve the quality of what you have to offer".
discscout

Post by discscout »

Talk about bad timing; (two local tourneys that weekend) the only day the city can drill the holes for us for free is the 30th; a friday. This is because that is my only day off to be there with them. They have had a few problems this year created by a serious illness of the main man so we are lucky to get this help. We are talking about 40 holes; two tee signs and two pins for each hole. I will try to install that day and evening and then put in baskets the next day or two. All help will be appreciated. We will only put in 1-5 and 14-18. While the course looked better than it ever did last spring there is still some work to be done to finalize those 10 holes. Then there are three holes of the other 8 that need everything done. The other 5 are much like the 10 going in. If we can get some help this year, we could finish this course and have it completed/installed this next spring.
Coueylicious

Post by Coueylicious »

So a work day on September 30th? I will see if I can at least get half the day off from work.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Colwich is now playable. Sort of. There are two tees and two baskets for each of the 10 holes installed. Yes- two baskets. There are 10 holes so you can play 40 different holes. Until the entire 18 are done, All of the fairways and cleanup is not done. 14 short there is not an opening yet. !7 needs cleaned up around the basket. 4 needs cleaned up. So does 5 long to long. We will have work days coming up. Pay attention to the tee signs and they will point your way to the next tee(s). There is a walk between 5 and 14. You can see 14 tee across the creek from 3 basket. Only one basket (except 3 and 4) have the right number on it as we are using the uninstalled baskets 6- 13 for the extra per hole. Don't get confused. What is in is rather short but tight. Just wait until the other 8 get in to stretch your arm. Have fun. If we get some help, the other 8 could go in by the spring.
Coueylicious

Post by Coueylicious »

Awesome! I can't wait to check it out.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I went out for a couple of hours today with another guy to see what there was to see. We had a great time and will be throwing it again soon.

We were both stoked at the possibilities this course has. The complete holes aren't that long, but I've got to say that length isn't the only thing that makes a course difficult. You'd better be able to control your throws!

I would say the above posts are correct although we had a tough time finding any way to play 14. We decided that in the future we'd park, walk north to 15 and then play 15-5 as a 9 hole course.

We also both agreed the signage was a bit confusing at times. We figured out the signs pointed the general direction of the holes using the map side of the sign as the arrow. We pretty much ignored the R and B with the little arrows on the map as we were never confident in interpreting them. I would suggest an R and B on the pad drawings with a dotted line to the correct basket. We did figure out that the Blue baskets had the correct numbers and the Red baskets did not (because they were using baskets that had been pulled.

There are about 8 guys that have started playing about 6 weeks ago and we're having a great time. I'm sure some of us would love to come out and help Bill work on the course. I'll keep my eye on this thread for further work days or opportunities.

Love what I played today!!!
ShaneOmac

Post by ShaneOmac »

Yeah me and curtis went out and played it the other day we played all 10 holes that are in we played all different configurations its was tough golf but a good time gotta hit ur lines perfect out there but its the perfect combination of technical/length....cant wait till its finished!
discscout

Post by discscout »

The R & B on the map is pointing to the next tee (Red and Blue) or the direction from the basket you just played to the next tee(s). The baskets are all yellow. Within a week or two, the mowing should be complete on 14 and 17. There still needs some trimming done to make 14 short tee playable. It currently is not playable. 17 short placement needs some trimming as does 14 short and 4 and 5 fairways need some more clean-up. This 10 holes is not finished by any stretch of the imagination but with imagination, you can see what it will become when it is cleaned up. Once the final mowing of the year occurs, we will put out tee flags to throw from.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I took 4 buddies out there tonite to play. They all agreed it was different from the other courses around here, it has a bunch of potential and it was a lot of fun to play! We played blues the first 9 and red the second. We started on 15 and played through 5. Then we played 14 long back to the 15th tee.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Most of the mowing that needed done happened yesterday. Last Saturday, the 14th fairway and tee area and the 17 short green was cleaned up so the mowing could occur. We will put out tee flags in the near future. Meanwhile, more trimming has been getting done. Anytime anyone is out there and wants to help, if there is brush on the ground, drag it to the nearest pile and stack it. Be sure and take leather gloves to protect your hands. Please leave the firewood size pieces (wrist or bigger) in a seperate pile. The brush will burn to a crisp in a short day but with firewood in it, can take days.
When we plan the next major workday, the goal is to clean up hole 13 and finish hole 6 so we can install two more holes to help cut the walk down from 5 to 14. If we can get two or three saws running (or more) and plenty of people to drag brush and some to dig the sleeve and tee sign holes; I think we can do those two holes in a day. But we will need help. Planned for some weekend after the Round-up. We have two more spare baskets that we can put in to make this work without moving the ones already in.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Went out this afternoon and played 18. The mowing and cleanup has improved the playability. Along with that, the tee flags are out and very helpful.

Sunday (10/23) Update
Played again today...Found the map posted on the board and am excited to see what the whole course is going to look like!
discscout

Post by discscout »

While the current 10 holes still need some clearing, there has been some talk about getting holes 6 and 13 cleaned up and installed. If we could get a bunch of people to drag brush and a few with chain saws, these two holes could be easily installed in a weekend. Now lets pick a weekend. How does Dec 3/4 look for everybodies schedule? Any volunteers? Different weekend?