Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Course Work / Tournament Preparation

What's happenin' in Wichita
Schoen-hopper

Re: Course Work / Tournament Preparation

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Was there a load of woodchips delivered to Oak Park today?
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I handed the parks department 3 nickel plates to be welded on holes 1, 9, and 16. The welder is requesting that someone meet him at the park on Thursday morning to show him where these baskets are. His name is James Cooper and his phone number is 734-1639. I need someone to call me or PM me about this if you can meet him. Then I or yourself can call him to set up a time. If we don't meet with him Thursday morning, these may not get done. If anyone sees any other problems with the baskets a welder could fix, like open chain rings, etc, please look and let me know sometime tomorrow.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Old benches got a new paint job at Herman Hill and also got new seat boards put on. Should look nicer and add a few years of life. Just that many more benches we'll have. Should have done this a few years back.

Buddy met with the welder and got 4 baskets fixed up at Oak. I need to get some new number stickers to put on.

I got a couple of limestone blocks and replaced the ones missing on tee pad #6 short at Oak.

One way or the other, we'll get some chips dumped at Oak tomorrow. Hopefully we can get multiple dump sites, but they may end up all going near 5's green. I will be out of town this weekend. As before, andyone with a truck, rake, shovel can work on these.
Can't dump them too heavy on the greens: Practice Basket, hole 18, hole 1, hole 2, hole 4, hole 5, hole 9, hole 12, hole 15. All the trails from the wooded tees on the first 7 holes. Any tee on the course that is too high. Many of these have already been done, but more could go on tee 1 long, 17 short, probably several others towards the back of the course. All along the area from 2's green all the way to 5's tee. Doesn't look bad now, but if we get a lot of rain, this will help. The more we put down, the longer the course will look nice after the Doo Dah. There are a couple of good shovels in the club house. Contact Mike Speer on his cell if he isn't busy, I know he doesn't use the email at home. 258-6609.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Forgot to tell everyone: the tools you loaned me for the benches are now in the clubhouse.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Speer is out of town this weekend too. I will drop of the big shovels from the clubhouse with Bo.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Schoen-hopper wrote:
OAK
-Workdays for new mulch. Everyone who has a truck can help with this anytime. Bring shovels, rakes, and gloves. I will try to get it dumped so we can use a flat shovel to scrape it off the road. (Big job: anyone, anytime, including next weekend)
-Stickers on nickels may need replaced. (Mike Scho)

TOURNAMENT PREP
-Mowing immediately prior to the event: Vyff contacted, haven't yet heard from McCoskey. (Mike Scho)
-Trash clean up at league. (Mike and Mike will hand out bags).
-Sponsor tee signs planted at both courses. (Mike Scho Friday before tourney)
-String river OB at Herman Hill. Holes 6, 14, 15, 16, & 17. May need to buy new string or supplies for securing. (Mike Speer, during week before tourney).
-Paint circles at 10 meters. (Crispin & Ronnie, Thursday or Friday before tourney)
-Mark mandatories, flag drop zones, flag tees, flag additional OB: hole 5 at Oak, hole 10 at HH. (Mike Scho, Friday before tourney).
-Course closed signs. Need to be up Friday night. 2+ at Oak, 1 at Herman Hill. Hole 1 location and any entrances where the sign would be visible. (Mike Speer & Mike Scho?)
-No parking signs. Put in on hole 1 at HH. (Mike Speer)
-Ice water. DD will bring jugs. We can use some of our old coolers to fill up with ice and put bottled water in. Will need to get these on and off the course each morning at Oak. Hole 1 and hole 12 are good locations. (Need volunteers)
I relisted only the course work still needed. I am going to be busy at the course on Thursday and Friday.
-Need plenty of help getting the mulch on the course at Oak.
-Please bring trash bags to league both days this week.
-Speer may need help stringing OB at Herman Hill.
-We may need help with putting in the course closed signs.
-Help may not be available for painting circles. This needs to be done after the final mowing.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Played Oak today. Only things I say that should be done before the tourney are the two mandos may need to be marked.
Hole 7 is it still Mando left of the pole?
Hole 16 still mando left from the long tee?

I didn't pay much attention to Red and Blue tees. Some looked faded but all could be seen still, I think.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I will mark the mando's with drop zones and caution tape on Thurs or Fri (not allowed to spray the trees).

I will mark the red and blue tees with a flag. These were painted last year, but the flag will make it easy. I promise these will be out of the way.
jump_putter

Post by jump_putter »

I would prob recommend a work night on thursday instead of a club night. With all the chips that still need moved, a group could get rid of these much faster than relying on just Bo to do it all.... Curtis said mowing was being done today at HH. This is good, we can start the circles tomm. Had the mowing not been done til thurs or fri this may not have got accomplished
-Ronnie Unruh #20079
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Whatever you can do for the circles is appreciated Ron. Might rain tomorrow night though. See if Crispin can do Oak whenever it gets mowed.

Good idea to cancel league, but I don't think I will do that. True, all the work falls on a few. Bo has the clubhouse shovels and rakes. Maybe a bunch of us can work on prior to league Thursday? I could probably be there close to 4pm. Can someone call Bo? Hopefully will see him at league tonight. I'll send something out in an email if Bo can make it early on Thursday. He would probably have to take off work though.

I probably won't play league myself. I have flags, drop zones, mandos, course closed signs, trash pick up, re-raking chips on tees and greens. I've done that and played in the past, but I dunno.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

If anyone can, it would make things easier if some work could be done tomorrow (Wed) on the pile of chips at Oak. If everything falls through and we can't get it on the course, we at least need to clean up the OB line along the street and path near 5's green.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Going to be a work day on Thursday before league for getting the woodchips on the course at Oak. 4pm. Stan will have his skid loader, which should save us some time. This will be our last chance to get this done before the tourney. Bring trucks, rakes, shovels, gloves. Even if you have none of these, your help is still needed.

There may or may not be some work going on tomorrow at Oak. Bo is dropping off some tools with Buddy.

Take a look at all the tees and greens to see which need more chips. That will save us some time.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Sounds like a go at 4pm today. The more people that show, the better chance we can get done and get league started on time.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

The crew did a fantastic job chipping the course today. I don't even know everyone who helped. Stan Stiverson donated the use of his skid loader, which made the job go 3 times faster. Buddy and Bo have given a lot of their time to the courses in preparing for this years event. The whole course is chipped and flagged.

I ended up with an extra red leaf rake. I think it is Buddy's. Someone else picked up my square point shovel. It belongs to the clubhouse.

If anyone wants to give some last minute efforts to help with the course, please help pick up trash at Oak. It looks better after picking up trash at league, but there is still more on the course. Broken bottle near 7's short tee, trash near the tees, near the pins, trash just inside the woods on holes 1 through 5, lots of trash in the woods by 5's green & 6's short tee, trash in the street.... I believe the circles, OB, tee flags, string, tee signs, all of that will be done. But if nobody goes out to the course at Oak tomorrow, this may get overlooked.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Big thanks to everyone who helped. See Doo Dah tournament thread.

I picked up flags, mando tape, and sponsor signs at Herman Hill last night. I think Mike Speer will take down the string. If anyone is playing at Oak in the next couple of days, please collect the flags, mando tape, sponsor signs from there.