Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Warner Park - Manhattan - CONSTRUCTION TOPICS

Manhattan area news and info
PETRIE

Re: Warner Park - Manhattan - CONSTRUCTION TOPICS

Post by PETRIE »

This is by no means big news. But it is a pretty cool testimony about how Discraft stands behind their hardware.

About a week after we got the Discraft Chainstar baskets installed at Warner Park, a few of the chain assembly rack things turned out to have defective welds! Considering we bought the baskets from Dennis at Discs Unlimited, I figured I would just call him to see what could be done. After talking with Dennis for a few minutes I felt better about the situation.

All I had to do was write a brief description of the problems, take a few photos of the defective chain assemblies, then e-mail that info to him. Then he went ahead and forwarded the info to Discraft. Just a couple weeks later (today) the City Parks & Rec. department received the replacement chain assemblies for the three bad baskets.

I believe the switch out of chain assemblies was probably done today by our Parks & Rec. staff, thus completely wrapping up the repairs.

Thanks for the great service Discs Unlimited & Discraft!
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Mark and I picked up the main sign for the Warner Park Disc Golf Course on Friday, Sept. 17.
It will be installed this fall as soon as the the City Parks & Rec. staff finishes up fabricating the frame.

rlangton

Post by rlangton »

That's got to be the best looking sign I've ever seen at ANY disc golf course! Pretty awesome. I noticed you're posting this on the course (near hole 1 tee). Is some signage is coming for the parking lot? Just seems like a nice sign like this could bring in some passer-by's.
kewley

Post by kewley »

Thanks Ryan, we like the way the sign came out.

Rick had a picture of the parking lot sign on his twitter site : Warner Park pic of the day. The City has installed the parking lot sign. http://twitpic.com/1ryb7n

Not as cool as the main sign.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

CONCRETE TEE BOX CONSTRUCTION HAS BEGUN!

These photos are not very exciting, however they are the first photos of what is going to be a busy October at Warner Park.

The soil and sod at nearly all of the tee box locations has been roughed up by the Parks & Rec. staff (as shown in the photos). Next steps will be to remove the soil and sod by bobcat and by hand, install base gravel + set concrete forms, pour concrete, back fill around the concrete after it dries, then put down a durable & quick dry material in front of the tee pads. The plan is to do 3 pads per week.

These tasks will take place on the following days.
  • Wednesday Nights: Removing bulk soil & sod, install base gravel + set concrete forms.
    Saturday Mornings/Afternoons: Finish installing the base gravel + concrete forms, pour the concrete.
We do not necessarily need "help" per say, because a Boy Scout group + a local contractor have volunteered to do a lot of the work. However, if you're not doing anything on those days feel free to come on out and pitch in!

TEE NUMBER ONE AREA

TEE NUMBER TWO AREA.

TEE NUMBER TWO AREA

TEE NUMBER 3 AREA.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I forgot to mention that these tee pads are going to measure 5' (wide) x 12' (long) x 6" (thick).
The Parks & Rec, staff wants these to be 6" thick so the pads don't break if & when tractors, trucks, etc. happen to drive over them.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Tonight the real tee pad construction began! Things were going so fast and furious that I only had time to snap a couple quick photos.

PICTURE OF SOME OF THE MATERIALS

PICTURE OF THE SUB-GRADE MATERIALS

HERE IS THE MONEY SHOT OF THE NIGHT, SO TO SPEAK. ONE OF THE "FORMED UP" TEE PADS! 5'x12" pads will be so luxurious!

I'll keep posting as we keep progressing!

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

HERE ARE A FEW PICS OF TODAY'S CONCRETE POUR. ENJOY!

Here's my favorite pic of the day. A glimpse of wet concrete with a basket waiting in the background.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I got caught up in today's concrete work, so I didn't take very many pics. Here are some of the pics I did take.

Final touch up of the rebar before we get the mud (concrete).
Some of the kids might have preferred to just keep them as sandboxes. :)

Here's the crew waiting for the concrete to be delivered. Things are about to pick up!

Here's a pic of the first concrete to pour today. We poured three tee boxes that are in tight and treacherous spots.
What would the concrete industry do without bobcats? ... not sure but our disc golf courses wouldn't be as good without.
Tee pads #2 (down in the hole), #5 (back in the tunnel), and #9 (top of the hill) were poured today.

Last edited by PETRIE on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiscGolfMom

Post by DiscGolfMom »

Rick - thank you for acting as Warner Park course guide today, especially after having worked all morning. Was much appreciated! We enjoyed playing the course. Good luck getting it finished up .. and maybe an additional nine one day. Anyone passing by Manhattan should check it out. Again...thanks.

P.S. Took 2nd at the cross country race on the other side... going to STATE (look out RimRock!)
kewley

Post by kewley »

The last 3 pads are in now.

The #7 Double Pad is huge!

durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

You should have put a club house there... Looks like enough cement too.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I just hope we have enough room for you to bust out your patented 360 degree tee box maneuvers.

:P

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

In honor of today's holiday, here's one for you.

TRICK OR TREAT, HERE'S A LOOK OF FAIRWAY #4 FROM YOUR FEET!

Well, actually it's a view from Mark's feet. Nice photo from yesterday Mark! I couldn't help but post it.

Yes, this hole has a serious drop from the tee box! If you've not played anything like it before, it can go really bad.

durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

PurpleRick wrote:I just hope we have enough room for you to bust out your patented 360 degree tee box maneuvers.

:P
You know I will be on a few holes...