Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

2007 Wichita Ice Bowl - 1/28/07

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

2 wrote:You reminded me of the ol' days, I played Swope when it was pay to play. And played Rosedale with dirt tee-pads when the rough girls used to gang up at the soft-ball fields.. Was it 3$ or 5$ to play Swope? :D
I seem to remember paying $4 for some reason. :? That was a while ago though. I recall the soft ball teams you're talking about too. It wasn't all that long ago that I've seen similar teams playing there still. The parking lot cruisers were the worst at Rosedale by far. You still see them now and again but the problem isn't nearly as bad as in the old days. That park has done a complete 180 since disc golf went in. 8)
Eschew Obfuscation
Eaglehigh99

Post by Eaglehigh99 »

For how to locate discs in snow, see the PDGA forum noted below.

http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.p ... art=1&vc=1
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Friz, Bob wanted to cut you a break this year. The rest of us favored trying to exceed our contribution we made last year. With no sponsorships coming in, the options were limited. Shouldn't need mulligans anyway on a short course, right? Anyways you've been officially called out as a whiner. There are no wimps or whiners at the ICE BOWL!

As far as the playing conditions, I'm guessing the we'll be playing in about 2 inches of snow or less. Shouldn't be that bad.
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

Schoen-hopper wrote:Friz, Bob wanted to cut you a break this year. The rest of us favored trying to exceed our contribution we made last year. With no sponsorships coming in, the options were limited. Shouldn't need mulligans anyway on a short course, right? Anyways you've been officially called out as a whiner. There are no wimps or whiners at the ICE BOWL!.
If being an advocate of the poor people who play disc golf designates me as a whiner so be it.Next year I`ll be the first to criticize the mulligan`s again,and I won`t be half as nice as I was this year.{on the forum}
Hays gives mullys for canned goods,but that wouldn`t satisfy our local ego`s.That`s why we`re the home of the most{mentally}challenged disc golf in the state.
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

Friz-Rocker wrote:Hays gives mullys for canned goods....
And I was there.... what a great idea it was too. Ultimately I forgot all about my mulligans until it was too late for them to do me any good though.

Ah, the Ice Bowl......

Calling for mostly sunny and a high of 28 on Sunday in Wichita. Get out and play!!!

Enjoy!!
Eschew Obfuscation
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Friz-Rocker wrote:I have probably donated the most money in the entire history of the KDGA{in entry fees},as I am one of those players who rarely cashes.Higher fees to play tourneys has always bothered me.I have fought Wichita Ice Bowl mulligans since their inception a few years ago,with some success,since it used to cost you 30 bucks to buy them all.It now costs you 21 bucks.Most players will need them all to compete.As for my negativity it`s not a problem,because noone cares what I think anyway. :lol:

That's very true, I hear almost on a daily basis what a f-ed up piece of $hit you are and never to listen to a single word that comes out of your old dirty hippie mouth. Now donate me some money for the captin flagget 1st annual wimps and whiners icebowl where there will be no mulligans but you can donate cans of food to add strokes to others scores.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Friz-Rocker wrote: If being an advocate of the poor people who play disc golf designates me as a whiner so be it.
This is your justification for ragging on this tournament? I'm not buying it. All funds raised go to the Kansas Foodbank to support people that are much poorer than you or I. Come to think of it, I don't think I know ANY disc golfers that don't have to work for a living. Edit: maybe it's better to say "That aren't working class."

The most you can pay for mulligans is $10, not $21. That is unless you want to buy more after the first round. And everyone will get 2 mullies for free.

Some positive things about this tourney....

Supports a good cause.

A new temp course in our oldest disc golf park.

A chance to get together will all your disc buddies. I swear there are some people that I only see at the Ice Bowl.

Free Chili! Can't beat it after a round out in the cold.

Fun. Haven't been to an Ice Bowl where I haven't had a great time.
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

Well mullys or not it will still be a good time. :D
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
stauf

Post by stauf »

bob, do you have all the baskets you need? i can bring two.
Notorious ROG

Post by Notorious ROG »

Hey everyone this tourney is for the POOR people,
you know people who can't afford stuff like food little less mullies.

THIS IS A CHARITY EVENT!!!!!!!!!

NOT A COMPETITIVE WORLD< STATE< COUNTY< CITY< CLUB< PARK< championship.

SO EVERYONE BUY AS MANY MULLIES AS YOU CAN FOR CHARITY!

There will be food and fun for everyone
while we raise money for a good cause........

Last year we raised a over $1000, let's raise even more this year!

Nivek our goal is to give $ not cans of food, that has been the tradition here in wichita, the food bank can definitely use $ to help meet the POOR people's needs.

Bring cans! bring bucks! bring your game! but leave your wine at home
err I mean Whine...

We still could use more chili or other chow volunteers!!!!!!
Can't have too much food for you chow hounds!!!!!!

ROG
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Great time, Great chili, thanks for putting on a fun tournament! The course you guys made up was perfect for the conditions. I really enjoyed getting a chance to play with the open players the first rd to see how it's done at that level. Thanks for a great event.

Tyler Smith (in case Bob forgets my name again :) )
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

How about the Wichita Ice Bowl?

We had just shy of 50 players. Half of them were out of towners though. Tracy brought a crew from Hays. Austin and Randy Brown brought a few from Salina. Ron Convers and Paul brought a crew from Ponca. Rich from Winfield.

The course in Central Riverside was a ton of fun. The icy conditions certainly made it entertaining. Some very interesting holes, including "the peninsula". The surrounding frozen pond water played safe. Another hole, #17, played only 150 feet. But, the basket was on an island that was only 15'x25'. The island was surrounded with OB parking lot. You could gun at it and get the circle 3 if you crossed the plane or you could lay up. Saw a lot of different stuff there.

Tracy and Ben tied at 7 down for the first round. Convers had the breakthru 2nd round. He needed 10 down to win and that's what he shot. Myself, I had a mulligan meltdown my 2nd round.

Great times. The chili was very tasty and plenty plentiful. Could have fed 100 easily.

Thanks to everyone for coming and helping our ice bowl to be a success.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

BURN EM!!!!!!!

Good show. The course was actually really good. Hole 18, that should be permanent somewhere....
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
Nivek9

Post by Nivek9 »

Glad to hear everyone had a great time at the Wichita Ice Bowl. I bet Friz even had a good time... :D

Not be bragging or anything... :)

...but KC had 210 this year.

We had one badly broken leg to start the second round but it didn't dampen spirits (of those that didn't break their legs) too much. If you know Craig Walker, or even if you don't, please think positive thoughts for him as he has surgery today and will no doubt have a painful recovery.

Here's a clip of some nice coverage of the event on FOX News in KC.

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/Home ... geId=1.1.1
Eschew Obfuscation
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

KC is hardcore!!!!