Best courses near Wichita?

What's happenin' in Wichita

Moderators: jlsherwood, Schoen-hopper

DanO

Best courses near Wichita?

Postby DanO » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:20 am

I've played HH and OP a lot, are there any other quality DG courses within like 15-20 minutes of Wichita?

JC

Postby JC » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:54 am

Mulvane is 15 minutes away. It's a great little technical 9 holer that's alot of fun and only takes 20 minutes to play.

Newton is maybe 25 minutes. One of my favorite courses in the area. 24 holes, lots of birdie chances but punishes you for bad throws plus there's some good water shots. The ice storm took out some of the tree hazards but it's still plenty challenging.

Colwich is about 10 or 15 minutes. It's probably pretty overgrown right now but that may change in the near future. It's a pasture course that is usually played in the winter but it has some technical holes that would even be tougher with all the leaves bloomed.

Wellington may be the best course in the area when it gets put in but we'll have to wait and see.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:55 pm

Good description JC. Newton is really nice as long as it hasn't rained in the last 3 weeks. Mosquitoes and mud can be bad there.

JC told me the course at Love Box Co. is pretty nice. I can't believe I haven't played it yet. How do you get there?

DanO

Postby DanO » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:58 pm

Newton is maybe 25 minutes. One of my favorite courses in the area. 24 holes, lots of birdie chances but punishes you for bad throws plus there's some good water shots. The ice storm took out some of the tree hazards but it's still plenty challenging.

I went to Camp Hawk with a buddy from newton... it might as well have been a safari when we went. It had rained, so it was mosquito city and many of the holes weren't marked all that well. I may go back if it's drier, but overall my first impression was... "what a pain".

I'll have to check out Mulvane as well... sounds interesting. What's the ETA on Wellington or is there one?

SmoothDrawOS

Postby SmoothDrawOS » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:14 pm

I would't count on an ETA in Wellington for alittle while, sounds like there's quite a bit of money that needs to be raised.

SmoothDrawOS

Postby SmoothDrawOS » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:15 pm

If you ever head down to Mulvane and need someone to play with. Email me or leave me a message on here, I'll try and make it out and play a round.

DanO

Postby DanO » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:22 pm

SmoothDrawOS wrote:If you ever head down to Mulvane and need someone to play with. Email me or leave me a message on here, I'll try and make it out and play a round.

Right on, I may do that.

I'll be in Corpus Christi though from the 21st to the 31st so it won't be too soon.

I'm pumped I think they have like 3 courses there.

JC

Postby JC » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:25 pm

Mike, Love Box is at 37th North & Broadway. The best time to go is on a Sunday, otherwise the parking lot is kind of full and it would be real easy to drill cars while throwing at hole #8.

DanO, I went to Camp Hawk about 2 weeks ago and I thought it was in pretty good shape, they had just recently mowed it. It definitely isn't a "well groomed" city park course but that's what I like about it. If you thought that was a pain then I recommend avoiding Colwich.

DanO

Postby DanO » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:11 pm

DanO, I went to Camp Hawk about 2 weeks ago and I thought it was in pretty good shape, they had just recently mowed it.

It was probably the mosquitoes and the mud that ruined it for me... I'll have to go when it's dry and see what I think of it.
Last edited by DanO on Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:21 pm

DanO,

Yeah the course plays a lot funner in the "non-Summer" months.

If your going to Corpus, check out some of the courses in Dallas and Austin areas along the way. Tons of good courses not too far from I-35. I wrote a long post under some Texas courses thread if you want to check it out.

DanO

Postby DanO » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:50 pm

I know we'll be headed to San Antonio, and possibly Austin. I will look up that post, I definitely want to hit a lot of courses.

Return to “ACDGC Wichita”