Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Haysville

What's happenin' in Wichita
discscout

Haysville

Post by discscout »

Here's news. The long Haysville course at old oak park had enough complaints about it's length that it is shortening the course. Work is slated to be done sometime in April. There is a slim possibility that it will expand to 18 sometime as early as this fall. We will keep you posted as details become more clear.
Chucker9

Re: Haysville

Post by Chucker9 »

babies...that was a good wind and distance course....I understand the general public complaints though......18 Mulvane holes would be OK I guess.
God,Family,Discgolf,DenverBroncos,Sooners...Says it all for me.
belsan21

Post by belsan21 »

Chucker9 wrote:babies...that was a good wind and distance course....I understand the general public complaints though......18 Mulvane holes would be OK I guess.
I disagree. It is poorly designed and poorly set up. A 800+ foot hole isn't a problem if there's something unique about it. But to have that long a hole with a bunch more plain jane holes that are all the same length (long) with no character doesn't make me want to play it more than once or twice a year as a change of pace. Oh, did I mention there are two holes that cross each other... :D

I'm excited about the prospect of having a bit more well-thought out and executed course out there. A good mix of long and short with some character...and the wind factor will still be in play due to the lack of trees. Good stuff!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Question is who is doing the redesign? If they have no trees, short open holes may be no better. I would agree that long, open holes in the wind playing close to walking paths, etc, are not only boring, but a safety issue.
belsan21

Post by belsan21 »

Schoen-hopper wrote:Question is who is doing the redesign? If they have no trees, short open holes may be no better. I would agree that long, open holes in the wind playing close to walking paths, etc, are not only boring, but a safety issue.
I was told that they had contacted Bill Paulson about it, and that Bill, Jerry Sherwood, and Tod Palmer walked the course with them last week and consulted on potential options moving forward. I personally don't find the course to be very fun the way it is currently laid out. I find it hard to believe that ANY changes made could make the course worse.
Ring

Post by Ring »

That course is bad ass! Now its gonna suck just like Riggs and Mulvane. Very challenging course with good holes. 800 ft right out of the car was awesome. Seen par on it many times. Gonna miss it! Good luck with changes....I guess..
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
belsan21

Post by belsan21 »

Ring wrote:That course is bad ass! Now its gonna suck just like Riggs and Mulvane. Very challenging course with good holes. 800 ft right out of the car was awesome. Seen par on it many times. Gonna miss it! Good luck with changes....I guess..
I hope they don't turn it into Riggs or Mulvane. I trust that if they take the right advice, they'll come up with a good mix of short and long holes without making it strictly a beginner course.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Haysville Rec has requested a more friendly course for their rec dept. So we have to give them what they want and try to let them know what they want. There will still be some long holes; just not as many. And they are willing to start planting some trees come fall. I think it can only get better as time goes on especially if it gets expanded to 18.
Doug

Post by Doug »

discscout wrote:So we have to give them what they want and try to let them know what they want.
That's going to be key. Hope they are open to suggestions!
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

To be quite honest, length was really the only thing that this course had going for it (and that's coming from a weenie arm).

I'm not sure shortening the holes is going to make it better. Its simply too bland, too open, and most of the holes are too intertwined with the walking path, a drainage ditch or each other.

Now, if some of that bumpy land to the south of Hole 2 could be utilized, and maybe get some more trees planted, they might be able to polish this turd up a bit.

Post by 2 »

Locals want it short, and that's usually the way it starts. Wichitas first course was a small throwing course, then we started getting better and looking for longer distance. I'm glad that the city is even involved in disc, give them some time and they will get it right. Now do I drive to Mulvane to play? Only if I have a newbie with me. Do I drive to haysville riggs park? Only because they had the long course, and then I would drive over to Riggs. But I would stop at the convenience store to buy drinks.. Just my 2 :)
palmer

Post by palmer »

Based on our meeting with the Haysville people they are looking too make a destination course and are willing to relocate, or plant as many trees as are needed. The area south of #2 is going to be a tree farm in the future. Haysville also owns the land south of the farthest hole to the south which opens MANY possibilities on the redesign. The walking path is a safety issue and the berm will be utilized better in the design to help increase some safety concerns. But don't fret....there will still be some bomber holes and the pond will brought into play as well. Hang tight.....its coming.
Ring

Post by Ring »

Sounding better everyday!!
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
BIGDGOLFS

Post by BIGDGOLFS »

I live right up the road from old oak park and would love to see more trees and turns. Those long shots are good for practice though, and the wind makes it interesting. 18 holes would be awesome as long as they leave some longer shots. The way it is now it does not see much play. First post btw.
palmer

Post by palmer »

The new design at this point contains 2 holes over 500 ft and 2 over 400 ft. The distance from the long tees plays about 6100 ft. and the shorts play to 4774 give or take a foot. The extra baskets were scheduled to arrive on June 18th but have not received word from the city if they are here. If so......work should begin soon. Trees however will not be planted until the fall and we've been assured that trees of any amount or location are not a problem. #1 long plays over the pond to the old #9 basket with a bail out line and plays to 503ft. while #17 long plays over the pond also to 430ft. with another bail out line. Should be a fun little course when it matures. I for one can't wait to play it!!!!! p.s. pads for now will be grass.