Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Haysville

What's happenin' in Wichita
BIGDGOLFS

Re: Haysville

Post by BIGDGOLFS »

That sounds awesome. Is this going to be done by volunteers or the city itself? Would like to see concrete pads but better to wait until the course is finalized. It is more my practice course. Less traffic, more throws. Planting som more mature trees would also improve it. I also can't wait.
palmer

Post by palmer »

Both
BIGDGOLFS

Post by BIGDGOLFS »

Who do I contact to get involved on the volunteer side? Have lots of time and would love to see it happen and play a part.
palmer

Post by palmer »

Contact Randy Dorner who is the public works director for the city, but be sure you have plenty of time on your hands cause he likes to BS about Haysville. He's a good dude.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Any progress report on the Old Oaks course?
discscout

Post by discscout »

I guess the baskets are in and ready to go but the city is finishing another huge project before they start the work on this one. There is some tree trimming to do besides the installation work. We convinced the city to install two tees so the rec can play all short and the pros can play all long if desired. We wanted to keep the integrity of the original design by keeping some long holes. i expect fall will be the install
jlsherwood

Post by jlsherwood »

Layout at Old Oak is complete. Basket and tee locations all marked (most of old baskets remain in place and 9 new going in. All tee locations will change. Randy said he hoped to have the holes dug and baskets planted early this week. I wasn't there when Bill went over tee locations so I am not sure when they get signs marking their location. There is some extensive cleanup to do on one hole and minor trimming needed on others but I am expecting the course to be playable before the end of this month. Most of the work completing (including planting some new trees) will likely be done through fall and winter.

This is going to be a very good course right off the bat and will only get better as the years go by with trees maturing and other improvements expected.

Jer

Post by 2 »

Be nice to play a couple rounds so you could get some feedback on the new locations. Positive/negative. .. I'm sure its going to be great!
jlsherwood

Post by jlsherwood »

Yes, as soon as it's playable I plan on setting up something, probably on a Saturday. I'll post something here and on our facebook page
discscout

Post by discscout »

The wheels of progress do move slow. I'm chomping at the bit to get this in the ground but there is still work to do: A hole needs to be cut through the woods on one hole; the tee posts need to be painted (red and blue) and installed; The baskets need assembled and installed; the tee signs need designed,made and installed just to get it playable. Also in the next two months, there needs to be a bunch of trees moved from one area of the park to the course. It will all happen eventually; be patient and I think you will be pleased with the results.
discscout

Post by discscout »

Define Playable. The baskets were assembled and were put in over the last two days. The short hole through the woods has been only partially cleared as has the opening for number 10. The tee signs aren't in but there are flags, red and blue on the right side of the tee area and a line painted. I don't expect the flags to last much longer considering the problems we had installing the baskets. At least two flags were missing out of 36 (one was found) after 24 hours. Long 7 (blue) is still not playable and red is only barely playable. Since there is no map or tee signs, pay attention. Long and short alternate colors. Odd Long are blue, even long red. Hole one starts at the main parking lot and plays to old 9. You look right at it across the pond on the blue tee. Holes 2, 3 and 4 play east down the berm and on the south side of it. Hole 5 plays south down the berm and 6 plays across the berm to the south from the west side to the east. Hole 7 plays through the end of the woods, west to east; a very short hole but needs an accurate shot. Hole 8 plays south down the road, Hole 9 comes back (north). 10 plays through the woods (north). 11 and 12 plays north. 13 long tee has not been built yet (needs built up with dirt) but is playable (south). Hole 14 plays along the sidewalk going west on the berm along 6 fairway. There are two mandos off the long tee and one mando on the short; stay on the berm. Hole 15 and 16 plays on the other side of the sidewalk west toward the pond. Hole 17 long plays across the pond to the north and short is along the edge of the pond after crossing. 18 has a tee along the edge of the pond and another up high playing west. Remember, this course was designed for kids at the rec center with a long tee for the serious golfer. If you happen to throw your disc across a fence, please don't jump the fence and trespass. Go around and knock on the door and politely ask for their help. As soon as next week, the city plans to start planting over 60 trees with more planned in future years. It will only get harder as they grow so play it now while it is wide open. The tee signs and final clearing will happen when it happens but at least you have another venue to fling your bee. For as many hours that have been put in to get it to this point, there are at least that many more yet to be spent to finalize the initial stage. If you see any of the Haysville staff (usually wearing safety yellow), tell them thanks for the new course. If you throw your disc over the chain link on holes 2 and 3, go the office and ask to walk around to retrieve it. They are as excited as we are that this course is going in. I mean this from the mayor on down. Have fun; hope you enjoy it. My first round of playing all short was 4 down (in the wind). That won't last, All Short is an easy course.

Post by 2 »

Complements are all I have for the "new Haysville course! Awesome.... such joy to play- something new!

Post by 2 »

Threw my Nuke over the water treatment facilities fence on hole (3) went to the office, closed! So... grabbed my dsc retriever and after a couple tries, haahaa and there you go, end of story! 8)
Doug

Post by Doug »

2 wrote:Threw my Nuke over the water treatment facilities fence on hole (3) went to the office, closed! So... grabbed my dsc retriever and after a couple tries, haahaa and there you go, end of story! 8)
Sounds familiar, except mine was a Renegade!!
discscout

Post by discscout »

One of the earlier posts stated that tee pads will not go in for a year. We pushed for that for one main reason. We want to get it right the first time. If there are any problems with neighbors, or there are better locations for a tee or whatever reason, concrete is hard to move. That means if you have any input, let the ACDGC board know or tell Tod or myself (Bill). If we don't use your idea, don't be offended, there may be other factors in play your not aware of so feel free to ask later. In the mean time, enjoy.