Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Vandalism at Oak

What's happenin' in Wichita
Vest

Vandalism at Oak

Post by Vest »

Not sure what would compel someone to do this but most of the baskets at Oak were spray painted yellow on the front side of the basket. It looks really bad. Obviously someone thought it would make the baskets look more visible but it really doesn't. It would have had to happen sometime between league last night and 11:00 this morning. Not sure what it would take to get the baskets cleaned up.
crispinthomascarrasco

Re: Vandalism at Oak

Post by crispinthomascarrasco »

me and bo are going to clean them sunday morning...rubber gloves, rags, and solvent will work...might need to reapply numbers but we were going to do that soon anyways. if anyone hears who did it, get their full name or tag number and a police report will be filed. we will be there around 9am if anyone wants to help we will knock it out and get a round of longs in.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Adding some bright color to baskets is a good idea but to go out and just random spraying is just not cool.
Chain smoker
crispinthomascarrasco

I got 1-8 cleaned today, then ran out of solvent and played a round. 9-13 will be cleaned most likely monday morning, but if someone wants to do it before then feel welcome. getting this cleaned up asap will hopefully let extreme casual jackasses know that the club does not tolerate dumb people with dumb ideas.
Chucker9

Post by Chucker9 »

So last night was my first night playing Oak since the vandalism. Thanks for cleaning up most of it. Someone took a really stupid idea and applied it to the baskets, it sucks....BUT the note on the park sign was not good either. It was perfectly fine except the ATTENTION IDIOTS. I cut that off of the note. Look, they are idiots and I understand being upset, but there is no reason for the ACDGC to look like idiots to everyone that comes to that park. Childlike thinking does not need to be met with childlike thinking.
God,Family,Discgolf,DenverBroncos,Sooners...Says it all for me.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Would "hey yo small minded people " have been better..lol J/K
Chain smoker
crispinthomascarrasco

unfortunately a huge number of people who play at oak are dumb people, not just disc golf-wise, but just dumb in general...if you are littering beer cans and decide you are going to spray paint property that does not belong to you, you are an idiot...Mike, in your opionion, calling idiots idiots is considered child-like? Bro, they are idiots, big adult idiots...i don't know if you are worried about club image or exactly why you are chimming in at all? Unless you painted the baskets, that poster has nothing to do with you. No where on the poster does it say it is a message from the club. it only mentions that the baskets are club property. the poster is a direct message for the people doing stupid crap on the course. You don't need to defend them or worry about their hurt feelings, because these are the types of people who do not need to be at the course. Getting riled up and spewing a misguided opinion on the forum is WAY less effective towards stopping course vandalism and littering compared to a poster that is aimed at communicating to the very idiots responsible. Run club when you can, help out on course clean up when you can, but call me or Pm me before you mess with my posters and post some mini rant about how you are the authority on what is and is not child-like behavior. If it bothered you that bad you should have channeled all that energy into cleaning the last 3 baskets...nevermind, I will clean them tomorrow.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

You guys shouldn't get too worked up over this. I understand where you both are coming from.

The note was inappropriate in my opinion. Didn't leave a very good tone for the club. I didn't ask that it be taken down simply because I knew Crispin had stepped up to do the job cleaning the baskets up. I figured if he went through the trouble to do that nasty job and make the poster, give him his right to sound off for a few days. I can understand the frustration watching people throw their beer cans in the woods when there is a trash can 50 feet away. But their is only so much you can do; you got to figure these people have bigger problems than this. The best thing you can do is call the police if you see people damaging the course.

Bottom line is you guys both do a ton for the club and the local disc golf scene in general. Don't let some vandal jerks divide us.
Chucker9

Post by Chucker9 »

Well, I guess I know who put up the signs now. This forum is the place were we post our opinions and mini rants. PM sent.
God,Family,Discgolf,DenverBroncos,Sooners...Says it all for me.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

It should be of note that our efforts are making a difference. The amount of trash on the course compared to say 3-4 years ago, significantly improved. I know this is partially due to people picking it up as they play, but I also think that some people are catching on that we take pride in our courses. With as many young people as there are using this course, isolated incidents can happen. It does make me a little apprehensive when considering purchasing all new baskets for Oak. If / when we do that, I would hate to see them get tore up.