Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Doubles League

What's happenin' in Wichita
Schoen-hopper

Doubles League

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I've been mixing it up lately.

Since the pins moved short at Herman Hill, we played switched doubles from the short tees (7/30/07). The amateurs were all about the same skill level, so I thought it was really fair. A much better test of a team's skill, in my opinion. There was some grumbling though. I hope it goes a little better next time we mix it up. 10 players total. 3 teams finished at -6. Iqbal and Otis had -7.

We played blue tees at Oak tonight. 11 players. Since the pro/am distribution was not matched, we did random draw with strokes for ams. Pro-pro starts +3 (there were none of these teams), pro-am starts even, am-am starts -3. Pro's get cash, am's get Bob bucks. Iqbal and Bowe came back to tie Mike and Lloyd at 6 under par. Iqbal cheesed his drive into the fence on hole 1 to win the playoff.

Something I've been wanting to try to encourage new players to get in on doubles is handicap doubles. This would only work if we had handi's for all the players attending (usually do). Since we end up doing a random draw most of the time, when two complete rooks get hooked up, 3 strokes isn't nearly enough. Here is a format that would still give a slight advantage to better players, but not as much as with other formats. Add the handicaps of the two players on each team (calculated at 80% of the difference of the scoring average and 52). Then divide by 3. Then round down. This would be the number of strokes subtracted from the team's finishing score. It would be easy to tell teams what their "team handicap" was before play started, but it wouldn't be necessary for them to keep track of it.

Another format I'd like to try on a shortish layout (maybe HH red tees or Oak short tees?) is that RAP format that Chuck Kennedy made up. It's like switch doubles and they did use it at Pro Worlds. Both players drive and play the second shot from their partners drive. If they haven't holed out for a 2, they chose the best lie and finish the hole playing normal best shot.

All ideas welcome. I like keeping this league fun. Can't wait for some more players to start showing!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

08/14/07
Herman Hill Park
Blue Tees
Short Pins

10 players

Crispin and Otis: -8 (nice shooting Crispin!)
Mike and Shance: -6
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Late notice, but I may not be at league tomorrow.

I've been running it lately, but with school going, I won't be able to keep doing every night. I'm going to need some help.

Let me know if your interested in running league. I can get you set up.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Jack comes out of the shadows to win again! Friz took second, but he didn't have any fun!

I won't be there on Tuesday. We need some people to step up and talk to Bob and myself to volunteer to run club for those nights that nobody can make it out.

8/23/07
Oak Park
Doubles
Red Tees

20+mph wind

17 players
Random flip with 3 strokes per am.

Jack R. and John H.: -6+E=-6
Bruce H. and Lloyd M.: -4+E=-4
Mike S. and Iqbal J.:-6+3=-3
iqbal

Post by iqbal »

Ring and Deaner - 44
Crispin and Matt - 51
Iq and Ball - 51
Scooba and Chad - 52
Pironix and Don - 53

Nice shooting Ring and Deaner.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

9/6/07
Oak Park
Mike / Bob ran event
Short Tees

Windy

21 Players
Played Random Draw with 3 strokes per am.
(Pro am teams start even, pro pro is +3, am am is -3)

Peter and Jason won with -4 (-3) = -7
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

9/11/07
Herman Hill Park
Long Tees
Short Pins
Mike ran event

Calm and perfect temp

15 Players
Pro am draw format

Mike and Peter: -4
Iqbal and Randy: -4

Need help on Thursday and next Tuesday for singles. If Bob can't run league, someone will have to step up. I have club night sheets and handicaps on file and can send them via email.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Thinking of doing some different formats for dubs.

Planning on doing 1 mulligan per player on Thursday at Oak. Blue Tees is next out there.

All short tees at Herman on Tuesday. We'll play california singles. For handicap division, each player will get 2/3 of their handicap.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

09/20/07
(Mike ran event)
Oak Park
Blue Tees

26 Players.

Random doubles with 3 strokes per am (pro-pro starts +3 and am-am starts -3.). We also gave each player a mulligan tonight.

Final scores were 4 of 13 teams tying at -4.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

09/25/07
(Mike ran event)
HH Park
Short Tees
Short Pins

California format
21 Players

Open Division (12)
Jeff Ring: -12
Ben Wiggins: -10
Josh Hull: -10
Randy Mattingly: -9

Handicap Division (9)
(Played with 75% of handicap)
Ezel Lever: -3-10=-13
Plamen Iantchev: -1-11=-12
Shane Chrisler: -3-9=-12
Otis Saville: -6-6=-12

That was a lot of fun, all agreed.
We didn't even finish in the dark.
Let's do this again sometime.

5:50 tee off for Oak on Thursday.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

i didnt make it out for dubs . I was wondering what california style dubs was.

Also a tech ?
On hole 17 at oak now and then my disc will end up on the left side of the hill. is it leagal to put a marker on top of the hill inbetween the lye and the hole?
Chain smoker
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

California (singles) is where each player gets one mulligan per hole. Get to pick which shot to use.

I'm up for new formats for doubles anytime. The next new one I want to try is handicap dubs. Partners will add their singles handicaps and divide by 3 for the team handicap.

I've never heard any rule against creating visual references for blind shots. Maybe something to do with altering the course? Either way, that kind of stuff is no big deal for league. As long as we can get done before dark!
Bangrrr

Post by Bangrrr »

Mike, you need to try double birdie doubles! Smitty came up with it and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of fun especially on a shorter course.....
Throw some D's on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I would like to try that one. It sounds like it would work best if all the teams were pretty close to the same strength. Pros tend to do a lot of complaining if their partner isn't good enough. I know, that is bogus.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Just letting those who i have discs for I wont be at league tonight. My wife had surgery yesterday and was expected home today but they are keeping her one more night. So I will be with her tonight . I will see every one thursday.
Chain smoker