Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Tourneys in Winfield

What's going on in the Walnut Valley!
Mike D.

Re: Tourneys in Winfield

Post by Mike D. »

Stella in the grove, or just Stella are good for me keep some wv traditions with the grove. jamboree sounds kinda gay, just sayin. gouls in the grove?
smitty

Cherry Street Tourney

Post by smitty »

I would really like to make this event a PDGA C-tier at least. I think we could get more people to travel in for the day if we did. We may have a few people upset at the fact that it is sanctioned, but we cannot make all people happy.

Why sanction?
-Bring in more people
-Give the event more credibility
-Get round ratings to use towards player ratings

Why not to sanction
-Keep some people from playing.
-NonPDGA members would be charged daily PDGA fee of $10
---Jrs. are never charged fees
---We could do a casual division and they wouldn't have to pay the fee

The plan:
Expand the course to 13 holes. 13 is the number of holes you must play to get a PDGA rating. Play 3 rounds of 13 and every person would get 3 different PDGA ratings for a 1 day event.

The tourney would need to be held in 2 different pools to make it work out.

Pool A
Advanced
Intermediate
Rec
Jrs

Pool B
Pro
Masters
Grandmasters
All Women

Advanced
Intermediate
Rec
Jrs

Obviously the pools would be subject to change as registrations came in.

Pool A would play 2 rounds of 13 holes starting early in the morning (8:00 tee time)
Pool B would play 2 rounds of 13 holes mid-morning tee time (11:00) Pool A would eat BBQ lunch during this time. The lunch would be part of their players pack.
Pool A would play 1 round of 13 holes in the early afternoon (2:30) This would give B Pool a chance to get some grub.
Pool B would play a final round of 13 holes in the late afternoon (4:30)

The course:

Hole 1 (Par 4)
-1 Stone to long- Add some rope OB to the left side of the fairway and use the tracks on the right .Left OB would be about were the trunks of the 2 pines are. Maybe add a mando tree to keep right handers from throwing a huge hyzer,

Hole 2 (Par 3)
-Normal hole 2 with quadruple mandos forcing you to go straight and low.

Hole 3 (Par 3)
-Normal hole 3 from the new tee. We would use the Sidewalk as the ob on the left. I would also like to add OB to the right. Running along even with the dead pine and light pole. The right side string would double up with the string for hole 4 also.

Hole 4 (Par 3)
-Would be old 3 tee to the alt. Use the tracks as OB on the right and the left OB line would be the rope on for 3's fairway. To make it different I would want to add 2 huge bunkers in the landing zone that would force people to layup short or drop a huge bomb to clear. The bunkers would play as UD shots.

Hole 5 (Par 3)
-Would be hole 4. Use the SW's as ob on the left and deep then add OB string to the right.

Hole 6 (Par 3)
-Would play out to the South dugout. The basket would be on the top of the dugout and SW behind it would be OB.

Hole 7 (Par 3)
-Would be a short island shot that you must land on to be safe, no drop zone. This would play from close the backstop back towards hole 5's (On the real courses tee). This hole would be less then 150 feet long.

Hole 8 (Par 4)
-Will be played from out in the field. We will play the Sidewalk on the right and some OB string to the left down the middle of the field. Then over the OB B-ball court to the long pin. We will probably make the fairway look like a huge triangle of grass.

Hole 9 (Par 3)
-Normal hole 6 to the tall basket. OB right would be SW and deep would be SW. Also add an OB line that plays from the dugout to the sidewalk along the left side of the hole.

Hole 10-(Par 3)
-Normal hole 7. SW right and fence would mark the OB.
-I think we could also add OB string to the left to make it harder.

Hole 11-(Par 3)
-Would be normal hole 8 with some OB added to the right.

Hole 12-(Par 5?)
-9 to the long pin from the long pad. Using the SW as OB on the right. Using the string from the first hole as OB on the left.

Hole 13 (Par 3)
-This could be one of the shortest holes in disc golf. It will be less then 150 feet. I hope to have a little secret. I hope if you get a 2 on this hole you are going to be absolutely pumped.

13 holes would allow us to have 65 people in each pool. That would allow us to have 130 people total if we wanted. I don't know that we would have nearly that many the first year, but could see it growing to something like that in the next couple of years.

I will need a lot of help to pull this thing off.
-Setting up the course
-Gathering sponsorships
-Cooking lunch
-Registration
-Payout
-Running the pool I am playing in (hopefully)

Chime in and let me know what you think. We need to get the ball rolling on this if we are going to make it happen.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

I didn't like the idea when you first pitched it to me. The more I think about it, the more I like though.

I think it could be a lot of fun, and the pools will help with capacity. Last year, we filled up at 50. If it was PDGA, more people would come for sure.

If we did it, I could do the other pool scores while you play. I have a pretty good feel for that stuff from DD tournys, plus I don't want to be in charge of cooking :)
tbone

Post by tbone »

Sounds like alot of fun, at this point i shouldn't have the boy that weekend but that could always change, anyhow I would come out thrusday and friday and help with ob string and do whatever else I can do to help you out. I am going to nights monday so i am free during the day now.
Represent the DOUBLE D'S
smitty

Post by smitty »

To sanction or not?
smitty

Post by smitty »

Lets plan on it being sanctioned.

Lets work on the entry fee:
PDGA fees -$2
KDGA fees -$2
Players Pack (fees probably lunch) -$5 (Would need to be more if we added anything to this)

We we are looking at $10 out of each entry fee. Some of these fees can be absorbed if we can round up sponsors for the event.

Open Divisions - $45
Advanced -$35
Intermediate $30
Rec and Jr. $20 (We will not have to pay PDGA fees for either of these divisions, they will also not have to pay for not being a PDGA member.)
zollmanator

Post by zollmanator »

What will be the non-pdga member fee be. What is the benifit of the tournament being pdga, and why should non-members be forced to pay fee? There are some players like myself that dont have the time to play alot of tournaments, so becomeing a member would not be a wise financial choice. When an event comes arond that is close and my time is free I would love to be involved in a tournament but being subject to extra fees just pushes some away. Help me see this clearly.
Never, under any circunstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxitive the same night.
mrsenortyler

Re: Cherry Street Tourney

Post by mrsenortyler »

zollmanator wrote:What will be the non-pdga member fee be. What is the benifit of the tournament being pdga, and why should non-members be forced to pay fee? There are some players like myself that dont have the time to play alot of tournaments, so becomeing a member would not be a wise financial choice. When an event comes arond that is close and my time is free I would love to be involved in a tournament but being subject to extra fees just pushes some away. Help me see this clearly.
I understand your concerns, but did you read the posts above yours?
smitty wrote: Why sanction?
-Bring in more people
-Give the event more credibility
-Get round ratings to use towards player ratings

Why not to sanction
-Keep some people from playing.
-NonPDGA members would be charged daily PDGA fee of $10
---Jrs. are never charged fees
---We could do a casual division and they wouldn't have to pay the fee
You could always play in the casual division, but you'd surely win. Casual division is used to circumvent the PDGA fees, but is usually geared to the REC level players.

WVDGAers that are current PDGA:
Chris Tyler
Mike D
Jake Trimbath
Jerry Powell
T-bone
Smitty
Burley
Ben Karr
Kevin K

But some are not:
Don Moore
Zollman
Daldo
Shan
Rich
Harv
Bart
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

We could just make our entry prices $5 cheaper, then the fee would "really" only be $5 more.

So instead of a $45 entry fee for open, and nonmember would pay $55 total. But if it were $40 for open, they'd pay $50 for a nonmember.

$40 for all pro
$30 ADV divisions
$25 for INT
$20 for REC
and $15 for Juniors, but Juniors aren't subject to the PDGA fee.

Is that only for the Junior Division? What if Junior age players play REC? Still no fee? I know some of them will.

By the time you take out the money for food and fees, the base entry fee is getting pretty small.
smitty

Post by smitty »

I don't care what the fees are set at really. If we are going to make all of them $5 cheaper that is fine. Only problem is that Crispin is already working on a flyer and Searle is working on the On-line registration.

Cliff-
The PDGA is the reason for the $10 fee. It use to be $5 but has been bumped in the last few years. Some events give members a $10 discount and try to hide the fact. I was just being open about it.

It is already sanctioned with the PDGA. I asked for feedback and never really got any, so I did what I thought was right. If you look at the date of the post "to sanction or not", May 4th. I didn't sanction until last Friday.

My reasoning behind sanctioning the event was simple. I wanted to give more people a reason to come to Winfield and play. Many people will jump at the chance to get 3 rated rounds in a 1 day event. Some people from both Kansas and Oklahoma would not come to an event if it wasn't sanctioned.

As far as the $10 extra fee goes. I am sure our club can work out a method to help nonPDGA club members bypass the fees.

I do hope you play the event.
zollmanator

Post by zollmanator »

I should have read the postings before I posted, except I read them after I posted. Confused yet; I just wanted better understanding of what the extra fees are for thats all. Sure I could play casual but when one of the midgets beat me (darn they are constantly improving) I would have to move out of the country. All is great, just trying to decide between soccer tournament in KC or disc golf and extra fees in Winfield do we have to pay for parking. LOL. Just busting your balls.
Feedback,Feedback you dont need no stinking Feedback.
Never, under any circunstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxitive the same night.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Hope you don't go with soccer. That will put a dent in the jr. division at the tourney.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Kansas City is a lot farther away than Cherry St. Park. Gas money > dumb PDGA fee

:)
tbone

Post by tbone »

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think soccer in kc or disc golf at cherry ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm disc golf it is :lol:
Represent the DOUBLE D'S
smitty

Post by smitty »

Beer in the park with disc golfers or driving to kc to kick your balls?