January Mini

What's going on in the Walnut Valley!
mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 pm

smitty wrote:A right at the barn, left by the tractor. You will see some random old farm implements that are no longer in use. Go straight until the broken down windmill. If you see any cows you've gone too far!

Haha, gotta love Midwest living :lol:

pironix

Postby pironix » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:29 pm

smitty wrote:If you are coming into town from the west, which you will.

Take the dirt road just before the auction barn.
Head east on the dirt road about 1 mile. There is a big barn on the south side of the road, and a trailor on the north.
Turn north
cross the tracks, you will come to a "y" in the road.
Take the left y.
Go 1/4 mile turn into the pasture. (2nd gate, it should be open)
Drive back about 1/4 of a mile and you will see us.

Lol, only in Kansas.... so 2:00 tomorrow though right?

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:32 pm

Sounds like fun creating your own holes back there. I bet you could make some crazy par 4's. Hole 2 was certainly that.

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:54 pm

We didn't make any par 4's. Shan and I did make some holes I think people are going to like.

It is going to be sweet. If you miss it, you are going to miss out.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm sure it will be a great time. I wish I wasn't working.

The advantage of making par 4's on such killer terrain would be that they didn't have to be very long. The disadvantage would be that they would most certainly be blind holes that are hard to figure out how to play corectly. That's the cool part though. On those long, crazy holes over the hills and through the woods, there could be a couple or even a few subtle strategies that would possibly gain players a stroke. Those kind of holes can seem impossible, but with the right plan a little luck, could earn a birdie 3 that might look easy.

Nothing against some good par 3's through there. That would make a great ice bowl course! I know, I missed the real ice bowl last weekend.

smitty

Postby smitty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:32 am

Hole 1- Will Tee above the HQ and plays to a yellow basket next to the creek.
Hole 2- Walk North about 40 feet from basket, tee marked with a tree branch. Play to the short basket over the ravine (normally the first hole after HQ).
Hole 3- Normal Spooky tree red hole.
Hole 4- Walk west about 50 feet, following the flags. The tee is marked by a line of rocks, the basket is over the creek behind the burned out tree.
Hole 5- Follow the flags toward the east. This will tee from a stump and play to the basket across the creek before the cliff shot.
Hole 6- Up the cliff from the red tee.
Hole 7- The skull hole from the red tee, remember the basket has been moved back.
Hole 8- The tee is about 80 feet short of the skull hole and along the tree line. This hole tees off going down the big hill to a basket on the flat along the creek.
Hole 9- Tone Pole Hole! This will be a little short hole playing up the hill to the tone pole. The tee is a line of rocks along the main creek bed. (An Ace on the tone pole will only be worth $25 to any one hitting it.)
Hole 10- Walk south from the tone pole about 40 feet, the tee is marked by a branch. This is a very short hole. Be careful, the fence behind the basket (less then 30 feet) is a bunker and must be thrown U.D.
Hole 11- The tee is about 30 feet south of the basket and marked by a branch. The basket is up on the hill to the right as you look from the tee. Over the fence is once again a bunker/UD shot.
Hole 12- The tee is about 40 feet southwest of the basket. The hole plays thru the “V” tree and up the other side of the creek. There is a super easy walking path across the creek. It is a little bit to the west, but well worth the walk. You will see 2 huge trees laying down, walk under them and around the end.
Hole 13- The tee is just to the west of the basket. This hole plays down the mowed trail to a basket tucked back into the trees.
Hole 14- Walk down the hill and to the southeast, the tee is marked by a line of rocks. The basket is up to hole 6 on the original canyon course (the basket that is in the parking area).
Holes 15-18 will be holes 1-3 and hole 14.

jtkustomizer

Postby jtkustomizer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:40 am

There are some of us coming down that dont know our way around the canyon that well yet.

Can we have a Canyon guide with us during the round so we dont end up playing the wrong holes.

Smitty, I printed off some copies of your last post just in Case they are needed.

smitty

Postby smitty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:21 am

I have some copied off also.

You are not alone on getting lost.

There are only 4 of us that have seen all the new holes. Rich and I know the layout for sure. Shan was so busy cutting trees, that he has an idea but probably isn't sure. Bart is Bart, he was there but I am sure he has forgot most of it. :lol:

Just try to get in a group with a local or two, and you should be able to figure it out.

I am going to head out a little early, and could give you a quick guided tour.

smitty

Postby smitty » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Here are the results. Only 14 people showed up to play a pretty a cool course in perfect weather.

Harv won a free disc for the no bogey bonus!

A Pool
Smitty -8
Shan even

B Pool
Harv -7
Stun -5
2K -2
Rich -2
Burley -1
Buddy even
Bart +1

C Pool