Parks Department

What's going on in the Walnut Valley!
smitty

Parks Department

Postby smitty » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:08 pm

Some of you boys who are way smarter then me, look this over and make any changes before I send it off to them.

Mark-

I am contacting you on behalf of the Walnut Valley Disc Golf Association.

A member of our local disc golf club just purchased 9 manufactured baskets, and would like to install them at Cherry St. Park. They will all match and be much more appealing then the current baskets in the park.

The problem that we have is that the baskets cost over $300 each. When we put them in the ground, we want to make sure that they aren't going anyplace. They come with a metal sleeve and a locking mechanism. That would involve digging out the current sleeves and putting this back in its place. We would also like to install a second sleeve that would allow us to change the course from time to time. We would keep a pipe or cover of some sort over the second sleeve to keep it from damaging your mowers. The overall design would be much like the current design. We do have a few design ideas that we could like to run past you.

The club would also like to build and install a message board. Probably 4 feet by 8 feet, with a Plexiglas front. We could put maps, scorecards, club information, etc in the information board.

The final thing that we would like to do would be install some cement tee pads. The way it is set up now, we always throw from the same location, and we are eroding the ground at a very fast rate. The cement tee would also allow us to play in any weather condition. I don't know the exact cost to install 9 tees? Our club will be able to apply for a course improvement grant to assist us with the cost.

The clubs goal is to make Cherry Street the place that people can bring their families and experience the game that we as disc golfers love.

With the addition of the new baskets, a message board, and cement tees, we would have a course that the city could be proud of.

I don't think this is a task that we will be ready to tackle until it warms up a little. We would love to meet with you someplace and discuss any and all of the above possibilities.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Chris Smith
Last edited by smitty on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mrsenortyler

Re: Parks Department

Postby mrsenortyler » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:14 pm

smitty wrote:A member of our local disc golf club just purchased 9 manufactured baskets, and would like to install them at Cherry St. Park. They will all match and be much more appealing then the current baskets in the park.

That's about the only thing I would say, just so they know exactly which location we are talking about right off the bat.

smitty

Postby smitty » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:55 pm

I changed it, anything else.

Give me some feedback boys. I want to send it off on Monday.

Bullfrog

Postby Bullfrog » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:44 pm

It sounds good to me. One problem they will have is the sleeves. Will there be any alt sleeves put in. Last summer they spoke to me about hitting the top of the alt sleeve and hitting the link where the lock went.

smitty

Postby smitty » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Bullfrog wrote:It sounds good to me. One problem they will have is the sleeves. Will there be any alt sleeves put in. Last summer they spoke to me about hitting the top of the alt sleeve and hitting the link where the lock went.

I think that alt. sleeves could happen.

We could put a pipe in them as tall as the basket. If we welded a tab on the pipe, it could lock to the alt pin. I have seen that done on several courses. Herman Hill and Jones Park.

We could also get an implement disc and weld a pipe to the bottom of it. Slide the short pipe into the sleeve, then the disc would cover the alt.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:30 pm

smitty wrote:I think that alt. sleeves could happen.

We could put a pipe in them as tall as the basket. I..

I think this is the best idea. Sure more weedeating, but you won't mow over it. Did they do this in Beloit too? Or is that my imagination? I remember somewhere in KS with this.

smitty

Postby smitty » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:07 pm

There are a lot of courses that do that.

Bullfrog

Postby Bullfrog » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:32 pm

mrsenortyler wrote: Sure more weedeating, but you won't mow over it. .

LOL!! The summer help does the park, and they would rather hold a poisionous snake than a weedeater.
Sounds like a good idea.

zollmanator

Postby zollmanator » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Smitty your the man, this is something we have all talked about for a long time now. I'm glad this is actually happening, if and when you get to talk with the powers to be, I would be more than happy to go with you.
Never, under any circunstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxitive the same night.

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:04 am

cool guys good luck with this. Maybe the grove could be next?
Chain smoker

burton

Postby burton » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:47 am

all sounds good to me. i can go to any city mgmt meetings we may have as well.

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:19 am

zollmanator wrote:Smitty your the man, this is something we have all talked about for a long time now. I'm glad this is actually happening, if and when you get to talk with the powers to be, I would be more than happy to go with you.

I don't know that I am the man. I am just going to contact them.

zollmanator

Postby zollmanator » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Your getting sh-t done, that makes you the man. Would you rather me say "your the woman". Didnt think so.
Never, under any circunstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxitive the same night.

doc

Re: Parks Department

Postby doc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:43 pm

smitty wrote:I don't think this is a task that we will be ready to tackle until the it warms up a little.

Remove the 'the'...that is all.
8)

Bangrrr

Postby Bangrrr » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:15 am

Doubtful that is gonna happen Lizard. The Grove gets pulled twice a year for festivals. There are RV's and campers all over every inch of that course. The club may get something done, but I doubt it's gonna be concrete tee pads..........
Throw some D's on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “WVDGA Winfield”