Cherry Street

What's going on in the Walnut Valley!
mrsenortyler

Re: Cherry Street

Postby mrsenortyler » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:18 pm

I figured 4" deep, but it will really be around the depth of the 2x4 making the form.

Terry said he had some fencing that we could cut to size to reinforce the concrete.

I can bring a small truckload of sand to put at the bottom of the form.

smitty

Postby smitty » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Ben also has some fence that we are going to use.

I don't know if 5 foot over 4 foot is a big deal. I was just wondering what the cement diff is for 5X10 compared to 4X12.

We will surely go with one of those sizes do to cost breakdown.

12 is good, because you never have to run up on them.
5 is good for diff angles of attack.

Muddy96

Postby Muddy96 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:06 am

I have some chicken wire we can use if we need it. I think I can help out with those dates. My wife graduates from southwestern that weekend so i will be working around that.
Laying up.......That's for chickens!

M&Ms

Postby M&Ms » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Does that cost include sand as we talked about at the meeting? This will be a must if we want the pads to last more than a few years.
Just checking :)
YOU NEVER KNOW TILL YOU THROW

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Sand is free too.

The costs don't include 2x4's for framing, or fasteners for frames. I thought somebody said the could get some stakes to hold the frames in place too.

Mike D.

Postby Mike D. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 am

split the difference and make em 12X5 surely the cost wouldn't be that much difference.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:12 pm

5'x12' Does bring the cost up quite a bit, to 6.67 yards or $550

This is the size that was recommended by Schoenhopper, but I really do feel that this size would be too large.

A closer compromise between the two would be 4.5'x11' for a total of 5.5 yards of concrete.

I went to Cherry and stood on the new sidewalk by the bridge and practiced some run-ups. I closed my eyes to try and see how much space I used on a run-up. I think most of these sizes would be sufficient. Any way we do them, some people will have to run up onto the pad, be it from the side, or from the back. I still favor the 4'x12' but think that the 4.5'x11' would be fine. On the 5x10 I really would rather have a little more run up length, that way when it was really muddy out we could start out on the pad and still have enough room for a full run up. I know the holes at Cherry are short and don't require a large launch pad, but don't forget about the alternates! You really have to crank it on quite a few of those holes.

zollmanator

Postby zollmanator » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Ok we are on track now; now we need to getter done. There will always be a critic that will tell everone how it should have been done to make it better. The important thing is that we are actually doing it after so long. The procrastination is over, I said that 2010 will be a great year.
Never, under any circunstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxitive the same night.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 pm

True dat. I am glad that the ball is officially rolling! :)

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Okay, here is a short list of supplies for 4'x12' pads:

5.33 Yards Concrete @ $82.50/yard.......$439.73
(9) 2x4x8'......................................$18.72
(18) 2x4x12'...................................$58.86

Fencing for reinforcement.....................FREE
Screws for framing.............................FREE
Stakes for leveling forms......................FREE

+

City of Winfield 6.8% Sales tax

Do they charge sales tax on concrete? If so $552.49 would be the most it would cost.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Burley was wanting to know some details on our workday. Is the city going to be able to provide a tractor/operator?

Also, I would still like to buy some trees to plant at Cherry. I know Mark didn't really mind as long as they weren't paying for it. I would like to do some planting over the next week. Will they really care where we want to put them? Hole 8 is the only one I could see a problem with, but it doesn't really need any tree anyway.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Smitty and I were out at Cherry today and had some pretty good ideas.

If we are gonna put in some permanent tee pads, why not move a couple to try and improve the course a bit? Hole 1 and 2 both look pretty good right now. Hole 3 is about to lose a couple pine trees. If the trees are taken out soon, the hole won't have much blocking the way to the bucket. If the teepad was simply moved over to the left, somewhere closer to 2's alternate basket, the hole will play much straighter than a simple hyzer shot, and not have any Pine trees in play.

The other hole that may benefit from a teepad movement could be 9. Since holes 4 and 5 are pretty much the same shot as 9, it would make sense to try and change the play on 9. I think it would look really good about half-way between the current pad, and the ALT pad.

Holes 4, 5, 7, and maybe 8 could simply be improved by adding a new tree to each hole. We looked at some options. The biggest thing of course would be watering the trees, but If I were going to take the time to plant the trees, I'd definitely make sure they were plenty watered.

smitty

Postby smitty » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:57 pm

I would also like to look at length variation if we could at all.

Maybe instead of just moving 3 to the left, we cold make it a little longer. We don't want a repeat of the shot on hole 2.

As far as 4 and 5 go. There is room to move both of the tees back a little bit and make them longer. Trees would help a ton on both of these holes. I still have a dream of turning 4 into a permanent island. Probably more time and money then what it is worth, but really a simple job.

The way I see it, holes 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 are all pretty good for what we have to work with.

I would like to see hole 3 to the left and maybe longer.
Hole 4? If we just played the sidewalk behind as OB at all times it would be much better.
Hole 5? Wouldn't be smart to make the tee any longer. This is the hole that needs the most tree help.
Hole 9 is a simple fix. Like SNG stated, move the tee longer and to the right.

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:42 pm

On hole 5 why not move it a little to the left so the shot is in between the existing pines. It would lenghen the hole and make some what of a tunnel. Another idea would be to move it north almost to the sidewalk. That would kill a big hyzer a would put the other small tree there into play.
Hole 4 would be nice to play from the left of the sidewalk. Close to where we tee off for the alternate on the dugouts during the tournament. This would add lengh and put the apple tree by the tee pad now into play.
If you guys go out again give me a call cause i'd love to put some input in on it. There's lots of made up holes I play that I think would benefit the course and help some of the tees and not interfere with other people at the park to much.

smitty

Postby smitty » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:56 am

nightcrawler wrote:On hole 5 why not move it a little to the left so the shot is in between the existing pines. It would lenghen the hole and make some what of a tunnel. Another idea would be to move it north almost to the sidewalk. That would kill a big hyzer a would put the other small tree there into play.
Hole 4 would be nice to play from the left of the sidewalk. Close to where we tee off for the alternate on the dugouts during the tournament. This would add lengh and put the apple tree by the tee pad now into play.
If you guys go out again give me a call cause i'd love to put some input in on it. There's lots of made up holes I play that I think would benefit the course and help some of the tees and not interfere with other people at the park to much.

I don't think that moving to the left is the answer on 5. The pines will be gone in a couple of years, it moves it closer to 4's basket, and 2 and 3 will take care of our tunnel shot needs.

The alt. tee is pretty cool, we don't want to be throwing under the shelter as the main hole.

I think 1 reason that many people play Cherry is that it is so easy. So we need to keep that in mind on the "main" design also.

Return to “WVDGA Winfield”