Cherry Street

What's going on in the Walnut Valley!
tbone

Re: Cherry Street

Postby tbone » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:54 pm

There goes the hardest hole on the course, this is a sad day for the city of winfield kansas and the walnut valley disc golf club
Represent the DOUBLE D'S

Muddy96

Postby Muddy96 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:27 pm

Maybe I over reacted alittle. The hole sure is not as tough as it used to be, but it is still O.K I suppose. Just alittle disappointing.
Laying up.......That's for chickens!

smitty

Postby smitty » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Last time I played, they were trimming out the crap on the right of hole 2.

The other day they were locating all the manholes in the park, and one of them was in the crap there.

I am sure hole 2 isn't ruined.

As a club, we need to find several small transplant trees this winter and move them to Cherry. The city has given us 6 or 7 the last couple of years. 4 that will never make a diff to disc golf.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:49 am

I can get some small pecans and oaks.

Bullfrog

Postby Bullfrog » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:19 pm

The park department is trying to clean up the parks. There has been a lot of complaints from "hard working tax payers" about the up keep of the parks. With this pine disease going around its wiping out all of the pines. There is plans to put more trees in this winter, so if some trees were purchased that would help out a bunch. I don't think they would want to go with pecan or walnut trees though. Mark isn't very big on them.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:09 pm

Let them know that we are interested in working with them. Thanks for the info Jeremy!

Muddy96

Postby Muddy96 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11 am

I am just wondering if we are still going to put in the tee pads? I know that several of us start school and things soon and that we will not have as much free time to help out after the next couple weeks. Anyone on top of this? Thanks
Laying up.......That's for chickens!

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Good question. When does school start? I know lots of people are going to Emporia 22-23rd. Maybe a weekday leading up to it? I can set aside a day to help out and work with this, but I have lots of other stuff on my schedule too.

smitty

Postby smitty » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:29 pm

The first thing to do: Make sure that the City and the WVDGA are on the same page.

Bullfrog would be our contact there. Olney told us way back when that they would supply us with a tractor to move the cement around the park.

The second thing we would need to do: Make sure we have a cement expert to help out when we have the cement at the park. This would probably be Burley. Burley is going to be super busy with Blue Grass until it is over.

I really think that the forms could be put in the ground over a weeks time. We need to dig them down flush with the ground and get them level. Once they are level and staked to the ground, they should be fine until we are ready.
--What to do with the dirt?
--We need to keep it until we have back filled all the tees.

What day works the best to do the actual pour? I will be gone to Emporia for the tourney weekend. I will be starting school meetings the Monday after Emporia. What is going down the Saturday after Emporia, that would be the first weekend to really get to work on it.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:49 am

Last night a few of us decided we were going to shoot for tee pad installation on May 8th. This is a Saturday, we're going to pour all of the pads in one morning.

As far as setting up the forms goes, Burley, Ben, T-bone, and I are available to dig out and set up the forms on Friday May 7th, that way all we need to do on Saturday is pour the concrete.

We need to get with Birdwell to see if the City could lend a tractor on that Saturday to help move the concrete from tee pad, to tee pad. They've already offered, we just need to make sure that being on a weekend isn't a problem. We think Birdwell would be the operator if he is available.

The size of the pads is what we need to decide on. Originally, I wanted to do a 4'x8' pad which I thought would be big enough, but after thinking about it, it really just isn't big enough. Next time you are at Cherry Street, stand on the sidewalk and do a run up, I think the squares on the sidewalk are right around 4'x4' so 2 squares would be a 4'x8'.

Last night, we thought we should probably go with something more like a 4'x10'. This is okay, but this comes out to $416.30 in concrete, due to a surcharge for the total of concrete needed being under 5 cubic yards. It came out to be 4.44 yards.

If we went up to a 4'x12' pad, it would bring us to a total of 5.33 yards required, and only cost $23 more, in concrete alone. However, that doesn't include the amount for extra materials for the larger forms. I think it would be worth it though. I'd rather the teepads be too big, than too small.

I talked to Rusco to make sure we didn't make the teepads too small like they did at Peter Pan in Emporia. He said those pads were 3'x10'. I told him we were thinking 4'x12' and he thought that would work very well. He also recalled that was the same size of the teepads on Jones West.

Don't forget, because of the KDGA course improvement fund, we will have half of the concrete money paid for, so we'll really only have to pay for the form materials, and half the concrete when it is all said and done.

What else did I miss?
Last edited by mrsenortyler on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tbone

Postby tbone » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:00 pm

I thought I mention last night that I could help on friday digging and forming the pads, I didn't show up to that meeting for nothing.
Represent the DOUBLE D'S

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Lol, gotcha. :)

smitty

Postby smitty » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:59 pm

If it is only going to cost us $23 more there is no reason not to do it.

What about 5 X 10 vs 4 X 12?

Either way, it will be nice to have pads at the most used course in Winfield.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:48 pm

smitty wrote:
What about 5 X 10 vs 4 X 12?

5'x10' would use 5.56 yards of concrete. I think the 4'x12' is still the way to go. When I said the sidewalk squares were 4', I meant on the new bridge.

When you order concrete, I don't know how much you need to over-estimate. Obviously you don't want to be short, but If they put it in the truck, you're getting it all.

zollmanator

Postby zollmanator » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Sorry for not making the meeting last night. Do we have a figure as to how deep the pads will be and how about some rebar or fencing to control cracking, is that part of the forming cost. If I do not have to work that day I am available to work, and also have some concrete working tools to assist with the job. My two cents about the pads would be 5x10, im sure that 10' should be long enough and I like the fact of having 5' instead of 4' wide cause that will alow little bit more of an angle to run up on.
Never, under any circunstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxitive the same night.

Return to “WVDGA Winfield”