Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Mcpherson Wall Park

arobb

Re: Mcpherson Wall Park

Post by arobb »

I haven't played it, but as a novice/intermediate who is just really learning the game, I'd be hesitant to play a course that would allow me to lose half of my discs in a pond or someones yard. I'd also be hesitant to play a course that would really increase my odds of plunking someone with my accuracy (or lack thereof). I know, I know... both of those things are my problem - a problem that will hopefully improve with experience - but if the goal is to provide a fair challenge to players of different skill, then, from what I've been reading, it sounds like many of the suggested changes are a great idea. I enjoy playing fun and challenging courses (loved playing the Jones courses and PP in Emporia, and have really grown to appreciate the Hawk in Newton), but don't want to have a possibility of losing all of my discs in one way or another on 1/3 - 1/2 of the holes.

But... just one semi-mediocre guy's take. Don't knock it until you've tried it, right? :-) Probably means I should try it!
schnelle

Post by schnelle »

Looks like you would be screwed playing have to courses in Kansas then
arobb

Post by arobb »

schnelle wrote:Looks like you would be screwed playing have to courses in Kansas then
I assume you mean "half of the"? And yes, I understand that my skill level prevents me from being highly successful at many Kansas courses. And, that is my problem, no doubt.

I guess my point would be that I don't want to have to skip a bunch of holes because of the threat of hitting walkers or fisher-people, or skip holes that might mean I throw a disc through someones window (albeit on accident). Last thing I need to do is pay a chunk of $$ to replace someones window or teeth. (And yes, I know it is an assumed risk we all take - a couple of the holes at Carey always make me wary (4 and 17 when people park on the corners)). I'd be very surprised if half of the courses in Kansas would present this possibility, simply based on the sheer number of courses that aren't set up with major walking paths running right through them. Water - yes, I have no doubt that it is an issue on half or more of the Kansas courses.

I want to be able to enjoy myself when playing a casual round. If this course gives me that opportunity, I'll gladly play it! Try anything once, and who knows - I may love it as it is!
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

I honestly didn't find the water shots that objectionable, (sans a slight one with 10 which could be fixed by having dual pads). On pretty much every water hole, there was always a safe route to take, albeit you're probably forgoing a birdie by doing so. Even on 3, you can lay up short and still get up and down for par.
arobb wrote:I'd be very surprised if half of the courses in Kansas would present this possibility, simply based on the sheer number of courses that aren't set up with major walking paths running right through them.
I can name several courses in the area that have at least one objectionable hazard. You mentioned the two corner shots at Carey. There are also about five holes that run parallel to a walking path. Two of them along the levee which are blind.

Also....

Lakeside Park in McPherson - Walking path in play on a few holes, albeit the course was there before most of the path was.
Centennial Park in Newton - Hole 2 close to street where people park for picnics.
Lakewood North 9 in Salina - picnic shelters and parking lots in the way on a few holes.
Herman Hill Park in Wichita - Errant shots on holes 5 and 7 can end up in busy Pawnee St. very easily. My entire fivesome card "accomplished" this at a tournament one year. Also a sidewalk there.
Oak Park in Wichita - Walking path along many of the North Riverside holes 10-14. 17 long can also be hazardous with righties throwing big hyzers over the street.
Stone Creek DGC in Derby - Fisherman often plunk themselves down on holes 16 and 17.
Old Oaks DGC in Haysville - A number of long bomber holes run parallel to a walking path.
Veterans Park in Great Bend - one hole cuts through a narrow corridor between a busy street and the lake. I think you also have to shoot twice now over an off leash dog park where hole 11 used to be. It still irks me that they did that.
Barton County CC in Great Bend. Holes go right through the center of campus between buildings. Lots of walking paths there.
Peter Pan Park in Emporia. Path from hole 16 to 17, also popular with pedestrians, cuts right through hole 4. Parkgoers like to hang out in the middle of 9 and 10 too. Last time I was here, I had to flick instead of BH to avoid hitting someone.

So we've been dealing with these kind of hazards for a long time, I just don't know if we've seen a permanent course in the area that intertwines with walking paths on this scale.
arobb

Post by arobb »

Totally agree, Scott. I think you've vocalized my concern better than I could. Pedestrians will always be a hazard - but not necessarily on this scale. Well phrased, and thanks for the perspective.
smitty

Post by smitty »

I honestly think the easiest way to keep the park safe...since the basket are already in place..is to shorten the course. I know it isn't the "Pro Caliber" course many are hoping it to be...but it also isn't a Pro Caliber park. 12 holes over 18 could have been a simple fix.

There is a safe route to all the water holes, and most new players to the course will completely ignore the sidewalk OB and play to a safe landing zone so they don't lose a disc.

The water and sweet fairways do make for some of the prettiest looking holes in the area for sure. The scenery at the park is also very nice. My worry is one errant shot and warp speed driver to the noggin of an unsuspecting jogger and the best baskets in Kansas are going to be for sale.

The night we played the park was swarming with people. We waited for pedestrians on nearly every hole. That isn't a problem for the seasoned golfer with a little common sense. It will most likely be a newbie, kid, or someone tagging an unseen pedestrian that will cause the future problems. Not to mention a Hyzer clearing the trees in right field during the championship game of the city league baseball tourney.

I hope I am being over critical. There are a few shots at Wall Park that I want another hack at...plus a little revenge on a hole that devoured my Stiletto.
Doug

Post by Doug »

So is Wall Park playable? Is there a map available? Will it be added to dgcoursereview.com?

Thanks,
Doug
Swede

Post by Swede »

Doug wrote:So is Wall Park playable? Is there a map available? Will it be added to dgcoursereview.com?

Thanks,
Doug
The Pins are in but no tee pads. Flags disappear immediately (clean course!) and I'm guessing the spray paint has worn off the grass. Print the map above and try it but the tee pad locations are subject to change.
Throw Millennium.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks Swede... I missed the map because I jumped straight to page 3...
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

Doug wrote:Will it be added to dgcoursereview.com?
Yes, once pads are poured and measurements are taken. Darren has told me there are going to be some minor adjustments made. Bringing a copy of that map would be recommended in the meantime.
Darren B

Post by Darren B »

New Schedule
Starting next month (June) the first sunday of the month league will go down at Wall park McPherson,10 am as usual. Also the Buhler Wednesday will move to the first Wednesday of the month, 5:30 as usual. the third Wednesdays league will now be sponsored by the Salt City Flight Club and will take place at Carry Park at the usual time 5:30. I Hope these changes don't inconvience anyones schedule but summer softball is going to take up a lot of my time. see you out there
thanks Darren B. (L.R.D.G.C.)
Darren B. - LRDGC
Darren B

Post by Darren B »

Darren B. - LRDGC
guroose

Post by guroose »

Wife and I took a walk down to Wall a couple of weeks ago and looks great! Haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it! The Parks Department Director is retiring so he really wanted to get this in before he left. Also trying to get Lakeside increased to 18 holes before he departs. Not sure what the status is, but we had walked it a few months back and I put together a tentative map. He asked for it a couple of weeks ago so who knows? Image
John Danley
McPherson, KS
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

Just my two cents, but there isn't enough room at Lakeside for a permanent 18, unless some of the land south of Euclid Street (which honestly isn't that good) could be utilized, especially with all of the new walkways poured.

Reconfiguring the existing nine and putting dual tees in so people could play it like its 18 would be a better option, and it doesn't involve buying thousands of dollars worth of baskets.
Swede

Post by Swede »

scarpfish wrote:Just my two cents, but there isn't enough room at Lakeside for a permanent 18, unless some of the land south of Euclid Street (which honestly isn't that good) could be utilized, especially with all of the new walkways poured.

Reconfiguring the existing nine and putting dual tees in so people could play it like its 18 would be a better option, and it doesn't involve buying thousands of dollars worth of baskets.
Prospect of two 18 holers both shoe-horned into small parks seems a little off to me as well. But the land south of Euclid doesn't have to be great (right now) if it means you can get 2 or 3 holes out of the congested existing park. There needs to be a long view for McPherson disc golf. That may mean open holes with trees planted for the future. It may mean not putting in 18 buckets where only 12 will fit. It's a growing sport. Exposure is good but let's make it positive and leave some room to grow.
Throw Millennium.