Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Roc Info

Disc golf equipment- discs, accessories, targets, etc.
mrsenortyler

Roc Info

Post by mrsenortyler »

I have no idea if this info is correct, its just what I have come to think from reading 1000's of pages of Ask Dave D threads.

I was wondering if I was off base anywhere, or if you guys might have something to add.

Thanks!

I don't know if there is a website with much about the history of the roc, but here is a little bit of info:

3 Molds:
Rancho Cucamonga
Ontario
San Marino

These are the towns that Innova factory was in when the mold was built.

I think San Marinos were the first, going back to the early 90's. Maybe even late 80's. They are a very straight flying mold, with little turn and not so much fade at low speeds. They go for about $40-$60 on ebay now. This mold was destroyed. They made a new mold last year that is supposed to be close to the same flight pattern as the old. It is the re-release San Marino, and looks different on the bottom of the disc, so you'd know if it was original or not.

The next was the Ontario mold, and it is a little more flippy. Good for turn over upshots, (but not as good as a meteor). If I didn't throw the Meteor though, this would be the disc I would carry. The Original Ontario's were made in the mid to late 90's then discontinued. They started remaking them over the last few years for fundraiser discs. They make them in Star now too, which is nice.

The latest mold is the Rancho mold. Started in the late 90's, this is what all the KC Pro Rocs, and the early CE rocs are. DX rocs too. If you order a plain DX Roc, it will be this mold. The are the most stable at low speeds (of the Roc Molds), they have some fade that will wear away with time. They are not overstable, just stable.

2007 was the First time they made Champion Ontario Rocs.
2008 was the first time they made Champion San Marinos
Bangrrr

Post by Bangrrr »

Thanks for the time Senor! I was very curious about this info and hadn't found it anywhere online.....Have found all kinds of info about collector rocs, but nothing like this. I remember someone talking about a Buzzz vs. Roc challenge where you played 18 holes entirely with one then 18 holes with the other. Sounds like fun and a good way to expose golfers to both discs.......any thoughts??
Throw some D's on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anita

Post by Anita »

The original San Marino Roc has a smaller diameter than the Roc we have today. They have either the "football" stamp or the "wings and rings" stamp from the factory. The wings and rings is the same stamp that is on the Classic Roc, but without "Classic" stamped above the ROC on the front.

The hot stamp is also a way to (but not absolutely) determine the age of your Roc. The older models have the big bird on them. The Roc stamp today is much smaller.

I haven't thrown the new Sanny's, just my old ones. They are still my "go to" disc in many situations.
gippy

Re: Roc Info

Post by gippy »

The Wings and Rings was the OG Sanny then there was the bigger old Sanny with the Big Bird Stamp Bird faces right and it says Champion Discs on it

Anita Do you have any Sannies you want to part with?