Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

KANSAS TEAMS!

Other Kansas tournament information

What do you think?

I think it sounds like fun and am going to start working on a team.
50%
I think it sounds like a flop and will have nothing to do with it.
No votes
If the entry fee is reasonable (you will get your money back in player pack/party) I would consider it.
46%
Sounds like a good idea, I will probably watch it play out from home the first year.
4%

Total votes: 24

smitty

KANSAS TEAMS!

Post by smitty »

Just something to get you thinking and your mouth watering. It is more of a bragging rights tourney then anything.

The hope is to grow this into one of the best Kansas Disc Golf weekends of the year. Give us all a chance to have another weekend like Beloit, where we camp, golf, and have fun with both old and new friends.

In a nut shell, this is how it would work.

Each team captain would have to fill a 5 player roster.
1) Open (Doesn't have to be)
2) Master or Older
3) Advanced (Rating lower then PDGA standard)
4) Am (Rating lower then PDGA standard)
5) Swing Player (Women, Jr., Senior Grand Master, Am Master)

1's will play 1's, 2's vs. 2's etc.

We will have 3- 9 hole course set-up. Teams will play a round robin (match play) tournament on the different courses. We may need pools if we get enough teams, that is all still up in the air. The round robin event will take place on Saturday. Sunday will be for the finals. The number of teams to qualify is still to be determined. The finals will start late in the morning, early in the afternoon.

All teams that don't qualify will have a chance to qualify starting early Sunday morning. They will go into what is called the "MIX MASTER". At least 1 team will come out of the MM. The MM format will be different. It will be stroke play. There will be 3 formats that the captain can place his players in with no regulation. Two of the players will play normal doubles. Two will play Alt. shot doubles. The final player will play singles. Each of the 3 courses will be designated as a different format.

The "Plan" is to have 2 divisions.

Town/Club/Course - All members must live in or near a town. (limited by geography)
Open - Members can come from any place.

We haven't decided on a cost yet. We are still in the planning stages. The hope is to have a disc and shirt to give out to each player. A BBQ/Party on Saturday night. Free camping. Something special for all team captains.

Please ask any questions of Kindy or myself. This event is still in the planning stages. We are hoping to host it in August if everything works out with the Camp Hawk people.
smitty

Re: KANSAS TEAMS!

Post by smitty »

Open = 970 PDGA Rating and Above
Master = Born in 1970 or earlier
Advanced = PDGA Rating lower then 970
Amateur = PDGA Rating < 935
Swing = Senior Grand Master Born 1950 or before, Junior should be 17 or Younger
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Is this to be an Oz-tour event?
smitty

Post by smitty »

mrsenortyler wrote:Is this to be an Oz-tour event?
Probably some sort of "Bonus Type" event. There is no real way to score it since you will be playing Match Play and some people will play more holes/rounds then others.

We haven't discussed it with the reps. and other KDGA decision makers.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Several people have picked "they will play if the entry fee is reasonable".

I guess the question is, what is reasonable.

Remember that there is no additional payout. Everyone who plays will get the same things.

1) Disc with some kind of tourney stamp $15
2) Shirt with some kind of tourney stamp $12
3) Camping at the course $3
4) Beer and food Saturday nite $10

Is $40/person or $200/team reasonable?

The more feedback that is given, the easier we can make this event what the participants want.
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

Sounds reasonable to me and sounds like a blast. Make it a weekend I'm off and I'm there.
smitty

Post by smitty »

nightcrawler wrote:Sounds reasonable to me and sounds like a blast. Make it a weekend I'm off and I'm there.
Kindy is going to get the date figured out and scheduled with the park ranger when he gets back from Texas.

I think it will be fun for sure.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

How does a person sign up for this other than find 4 other people him or her self?
Chain smoker
smitty

Post by smitty »

disclizard wrote:How does a person sign up for this other than find 4 other people him or her self?
If you cannot find or make a team. We will use this forum to make as many teams as possible.
iguardus

Post by iguardus »

Smitty I would like to be on a team also, Tom Thompson.
smitty

Post by smitty »

I don't want the job of making 10 teams. Try to find a group of people that will be on a team with you. Then after you have try, and we are much closer to the date we will find a place for you to play.

You have people at Ft. Riley and in Manhattan that you could use to make a team.

Glad there is some interest.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Where are some potential places to play this tournament?
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Ruder wrote:Where are some potential places to play this tournament?
Ruder-

It will be going down at Camp Hawk in Newton.

They have enough holes and extra space that we will easily be able to have three differet nine hole courses set up. This will help with speed of play and will work perfect for the Mix Master.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Time to get this thing rolling! Actually the time to get this rolling was about 2 months ago.

Start thinking about your teams.

The entry fee will be pretty cheap in this first year of the event. Since it will be the learning year.
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

Ks. teams only? I bet we could come up with a non Ks. KDGA member team! :roll: And whup ya'll! :shock: :lol:
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com