Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

New tounament at Ft. Riley?

Manhattan area news and info
durtydoggy

Re: New tounament at Ft. Riley?

Post by durtydoggy »

Yeah I am going to get the ball rolling see what I can do. I like to make thing happen. I will update you with any information I get. I am always for helping out disc golf.

When I get back from Iraq in October I am going to join the KDGA and PDGA and starting going to tournaments thru out Kansas. My home course is in Joplin Missouri, I wish we had a great set up like you do here in Kansas. In Joplin we have a great course, but the people that ran it, never done anything with it. I have a chance to set up a tournament at good course, I might well.
rlangton

Post by rlangton »

When this first went in I emailed back and forth a few times with the guy who put in these baskets and laid out the course, that's where we got the map Rick provided. He said they were planning on putting in concrete tees but ran out of money. They were still planning on putting in the tees eventually. I have since lost his email and don't remember how I found it in the first place.

This is really a good course, definitely tournament quality. As long as you're in shape and don't mind some heat it's not so bad (as always bring lots of water!). Very long holes and hilly, but most of the tees have shade close by. As I mentioned in another thread, I think this would be a great course to add to the Little Apple Open weekend. 2 rounds at River Pond one day, 2 rounds at the Ft. the other day. It's a 15 minute drive from River Pond.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

Yeah it would be a great change going between those two courses. I am going to contact some people at Ft. Riley in a hour or two to see what needs to happen for a tournament and the teepads. I am in Iraq and I am going to call someone tonight, get a email and then try to continue setting it up.

I wish you had that email, I have been looking everywhere on the web and cant find one.
rlangton

Post by rlangton »

Good luck! I hope this goes somewhere and we can tourney out at the Ft. soon :)
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

Yeah I am going to get it done.
rlangton

Post by rlangton »

Pretty sure I used the pdga contact form to initially contact the guy:
http://www.pdga.com/contact?a=sf&contact=c2969
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

I talked to him about 3 hours ago. He doesnt run the course or having any connection at the base to set it up. We talked for a few minutes and he loved the idea of the tourny. He said he knows the course designer and would be able to get the blueprints for the pad layouts. I am going to try a few more numbers tomorrow afternoon and try to find a good contact. I am looking into information for getting authorization for the tournament, getting some on base advertisement, and getting the teepads installed.

This is what I am thinking as far as the tournament goes. These are some things that I will have to work out.
1. I want to advertise thru the bases recreation department to see if they will post flyer on base and their website about the event.That is about all the involvement in the tournament that I would want from them
2. There is no outside restroom at the course. so I am going to see if we could use the pools restrooms, the convention center, or if they would supply some port-a-johns.
3. I am going to see if I can get the bases recreation department to place a trash can on every 3 holes or so. If I remember right they have a dumster in the vicinty of where the parking would be by the pool.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I can't wait to see what you can get going out there. I'd offer to help out a little more, but I'm knee deep in the process of getting a new course built in Manhattan's Warner Park.

Good luck in getting this thing off the ground. Plus, I will keep my fingers crossed that this tournament will be open to civilians, not just soldiers. If that's the case, sign me up... I'm ready to play!
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

Yeah it will be for civilians. I want to keep the Army out of it as much as possible. I am hoping that it will end up as a KDGA stop.

You guys going to have that course done by October? I am always wanting to play a new course. I read that you are looking for sponsor for holes. If i win those 9 baskets from the worlds tournament, I will donate them. Well 8 of them I will be using one for practice!

When I get home I am interested in getting into the league you got there and the bagtag challenge.
JakeT

Post by JakeT »

Fairmont should be in by around September 1. As soon as we get all the sponsorship money I will order the baskets and we will install as soon as they're delivered. Warner will take a little longer. We already have 4 hole sponsors and several other prospective sponsors. If you get 9 baskets in worlds, we'd graciously accept how many ever are left, after whatever you use (Warner or Fairmont Park) At Fairmont we plan on installing Innova DiscCatchers, at Warner I'm not sure what they're planning on basket wise, I think Mach Vs, possibly.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

Good luck with the courses. I can't wait to play them. How long you running the bag tag challenge for?

A quick status update on the tournament at Riley.
I have tried 10 numbers to try to talk to someone about the pads being installed; everyone keeps giving me different phone numbers. So by process of elimination I should be getting close to an answer on that. When I get more time. (The time difference here makes it difficult) I will find out what is going on. And if necessary I will push for the installment of the pads.

I contact MWR marketing representative to see what needs to happen on their side, for the promotion on base and any other services that they may provide. I am waiting on an email back from them.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

I just wanted to do a update. I am going to work on getting this set up when I get back to Ft Riley in a month and a half. I tried contacting people on the phone and it just didnt work. If people with the manhattan league would be interested in showing up sometime in October for a league or just a game, I will be ready to go.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

Purple rick sent me a JPG file of the pad locations. When I am out there I never see anyone either, but hey that is good because the course is pretty much brand new!
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I like the locations as shown on the course map I received last year. However, there's so much room out there that they have almost unlimited tee pad options when they get around to it.

I know a few other Manhattan guys that go over there from time to time, but it's just far enough away that it is kind of a pain.
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

rlangton

Post by rlangton »

The teepads on the map are pretty decent locations.. not sure I would change them much or that it would make any difference.