Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

New tounament at Ft. Riley?

Manhattan area news and info
durtydoggy

New tounament at Ft. Riley?

Post by durtydoggy »

Is there any way or any interest in adding a tournament stop at the course at Ft. Riley? The fall or winter would be a great time to do this. I have shot it a few times and it is a very... very nice course. The grass is mowed and is always short; there is no dirt below the baskets. There is great elevation changes and distance between the holes. Also some baskets are protected by trees, and a few tree obstacles on drives and mid shots. It is a very well put together course and at this point underutilized. There is plenty of room for parking. If anything it would be nice to do a league night there.

The only down side is having to check in at the gates. (You have to have your vehicles insurance, vehicles registration, and a driver license or I.D. for everyone in the vehicle)

There are no marked tee pads. It would be hard to set up and would be nice to place the tees where we would want them.

If anyone has any interest in this, contact me and I will see what I can do with getting it set up with the people at Ft. Riley.
Schoen-hopper

Re: New tounament at Ft. Riley?

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I've been wanting to check this one out. What do you mean by no marked tee pads? Are there just worn away areas that mark the tees?
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

No there is no tee pads at all, no wore out places in the grass. I shoot from basket to basket, I think that is how it is intended to be played.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Someday I'll buy a peice of property and install 50 baskets. No teepads. The course will be a different experience every time. Ok, back to Ft. Riley....
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

That kind of why I switch between my right and left hand and use different stroking styles when.... never mind change is always good. Every once in awhile, I would shoot from different areas from my "home" course to get some variety and different challenges. Doesn't anyone with a home course do that though?

I don't think setting up markers for pad for a tournament would be that difficult. They could be placed a good distance from the baskets and to stretch out a couple of short holes on the course. Also set up multiple tees for a couple of rounds.

I could also just talk to the people at Ft. Riley and try to get some concrete pads put in. I think the only reason that they don’t have them now is that the course isn’t used that much.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Someone should take some pictures and post them. That might get some people interested.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

Yeah I would but I'm not at Ft. Riley right now. I will in September/ October.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

There's certainly a growing contingency of Manhattan players that go over there to Ft. Riley from time to time. The first time my group played it was back in early June +/- of 2008. At the time we heard it was a really new course and they were waiting until they had more money in the budget plus waiting too be sure where the best tee pad placements are before they put any permanent tee pads in place.

There is a course map. A buddy in our group tracked one down from someone on Base last summer. I will post it as soon as I find it.

Regarding hosting a tourney there it could be interesting. There's literally thousands of very fit 20 something year old guys & gals living "on Base" & nearby that are from across the entire country. So if any of those guys have DG experience, and sign up for a tourney, it could have a feel like none other in state.

One of my co-workers, who's husband is stationed out of Ft. Riley, says there's a certain military department that runs the recreational activities on base. I will try to remember asking her about who to call.
Come to Manhattan. Play our courses.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

... by the way the course map I have is a 2.7 meg pdf file. Send me a PM and I will try to e-mail the map to you.

In the mean time, I will try to covert the course map to an image file that I can display right on this page.

kewley

Post by kewley »

The hole in the second picture is in good shape now.

One round at Riley this time of year is enough for me. I might go around twice in the spring or fall.

PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

I agree with Kewley, Ft. Riley is a grueling course this time of year (Mid July) because there are lot of very long steep hills and not as many shade trees around as you might want. He and I have experienced some seriously long "disc golf marathons" and this one will take a lot more out of you than most courses. There's just something about that course that generates a very dry heat. I think it's probably because it's generally on top of the hills so all the moister drains away very quickly.

Here's a screen capture of the course map. Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you'd like me to e-mail a map to you.

You will most likely come in on Huebner Rd. then turn south on Seitz Ln. to park in the parking lot south (past) the tee location for #1.

kewley

Post by kewley »

I don't know if it's a "dry heat" but it's the kind of heat that kicks me in the nards and makes me wish I brought more water.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

PurpleRick wrote:
One of my co-workers, who's husband is stationed out of Ft. Riley, says there's a certain military department that runs the recreational activities on base. I will try to remember asking her about who to call.
I think your talking about MWR. Morale Welfare and Recreation. I was planning on contacting them and asking them for a status on the teepad.
durtydoggy

Post by durtydoggy »

Using the KDGA and getting Ft. Riley MWR, to post announcements on Ft. Riley could generate a decent amount of people. If we could get some to TD, I could contact people within Ft. Riley and make it happen.
PETRIE

Post by PETRIE »

Durty,
That sounds about like the acronym. I suspect you're on the right trail. Keep up the good work.

If you find out anything about their t-pad plans or tourney options please PM me or post something here.

Rick