Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

club tournaments

General Disc Golf Chatter
kselrod

club tournaments

Post by kselrod »

I have a meeting planed with our local Parks and Rec concerning our club tournaments. It looks like they want to charge us a fee and have us carry insurance for our club tournaments. I'm sorry but we are not large enough to handle both these issues as we don't see large turnouts for our smaller club tournaments. So my questions are:

Are any clubs required to pay a fee to the local Parks and Rec when running a tournament?

Are any clubs required to provide insurance to the local Parks and Rec when running a tournament?

My problem with the fee is going to be if they want a set amount to run a tournament because if they expect $100 per tournament and I only have 8-10 players show up (not uncommon as we don't seem to get the support) then the payout is going to be poor as I have to deduct that from the entry. If we can agree on a small percentage of the entry fees then we will be fine. As far as the insurance issue goes, our club can't afford to carry and insurance policy just to put on a few tournaments each year. I know we can purchase one through the PDGA (which we will do for the PITT Open one time a year) but for our other smaller club tournaments we don't want to sanction them just to get an insurance policy as that my drop attendance even more.

Let me know your thoughts on this so I can have some ammunition when I go into my meeting. Thanks

Kevin
Schoen-hopper

Re: club tournaments

Post by Schoen-hopper »

In Wichita, there is a fee to reserve the parks, not a fee to run a tournament. We get Wichita to waive the fee by showing them the man-hours that we volunteer to improve / maintain the park and disc golf course.

As far as insurance goes, it probably varies greatly on the type of policy. Commerical liability covers park users who could get injured, but ironically doesn't cover any of the event participants and doesn't ever cover club members. Damage to park structures could be covered. Some policies will cover a small amount of inventory against theft. I don't know if we are required to have insurance, but we do. Policies could be around $250 per year, maybe more, maybe less. Yes, you have to run a lot of events and sell a lot of discs to make up this cost.

I'd suggest focusing on the value you bring them, the city, with the tournaments. If people are coming in from out of town, they are spending some money in town they normally wouldn't.
kselrod

Re: club tournaments

Post by kselrod »

Schoen-hopper wrote: I'd suggest focusing on the value you bring them, the city, with the tournaments. If people are coming in from out of town, they are spending some money in town they normally wouldn't.
This is the point I'm going to stress the most. The players are going to eat lunch between rounds and possibly by gas to get home so it only helps the local businesses. Thanks for your input!!