Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Personal Disc Golf Story

General Disc Golf Chatter
tonynation

Personal Disc Golf Story

Post by tonynation »

I grew up in Winfield. My grandparents lived right next to Cherry St. Park so growing up I would play there all the time. My grandfather and I were very close. He was my idol and mentor growing up. Shortly before he died we were walking in the park and I noticed these new metal contraptions that I had never seen before. I asked my grandfather about them and he said that he had seen people throwing frisbees at them. So we went down to Walmart and got a couple of cheap frisbees and attempted to play. Needless to say, we weren't very successful. However, that was my first introduction to disc golf.

He passed away shortly after I really began playing the game. I remember that my brothers and I played a round after his wake while still dressed in our slacks and ties. If you stand on the fifth tee and look north, you see the backyard and driveway where they lived. I continue to miss him terribly and tend to get a little choked up when I'm walking that portion of the course. However I always say a little prayer for him before the fifth tee.

I went to play the course today (best round I ever had out there.) It was a perfect day with little wind and not too hot/cold. I said my little prayer before the fifth tee and took out my trusty JLS that I've had almost since I started playing and let it fly. Needless to say, that shot was my one in a million shot. I had my first ace today on #5 at Cherry St.

I just wanted to share as I can guarantee that I will never forget that moment. Of all the places to have that first ace for it to be that hole, just across the street from where I grew up and where the most important man in my life lived, it was just an amazing experience.

Thanks to all who read this and if you can, join us for some fun on Monday nights at 545 in Derby!
Tony
Schoen-hopper

Re: Personal Disc Golf Story

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Congrats! It's a great game not just for the fun, but because it brings people together, and back together.
nastyNate

Post by nastyNate »

Perfect setting for a first ace! Congrats
kselrod

Post by kselrod »

What I nice and memorable story. Maybe you should get Dynamic Discs to die-max a picture of your grandpa on that disc for you. I think it would be well worth the money. Just a suggestion and congrats.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Nice Tony!

That is a great story, thanks for sharing.