PERRY COURSE WORKDAY

General Disc Golf Chatter
Ranger KB

PERRY COURSE WORKDAY

Postby Ranger KB » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:39 pm

We will be having a work day on the Perry course on Saturday April 28th, starting at 8:30 am. Necessary tasks include removing small diameter woody brush, pole pruning, dragging branches, minor tree clearing, etc. Weedeaters with a blade and chainsaws will be the most useful tools to finish up this clearing to get everything up and running. Rakes, polesaws, etc. will also be useful.

This course has approximately 97-98% of the course cleared. The remaining clearing is predominately on rocky hillsides consisting of small buckbrush that needs removed so we can continue to spray the area with chemical. There are also a few areas where trees have been dropped, but still need cut up and piled so we can burn them. There is very little standing timber that needs removed. We would like to get everything cleared well enough so that we can continue to maintain it easily without putting in tons of man hours on the course.

As a side note, one of the reasons that this course has taken so long to get installed is the lack of manpower available for this project. There are only three Corps of Engineers Park Rangers at Perry, and we have 40,000 acres of land and water to manage. This includes about 600 campsites, numerous parks, 10,000 acres of agricultural leases to administer, etc. We are spread very thin, so these work days are vital to getting this course installed. Please do not think that we have lost interest in this course, as I personally have put hundreds of hours into this project. We do not want to just slap baskets in the ground and call it good. Our thinking is that if we get people to have a positive experience the first time they play it, then they will want to come back.

Directions: From the US 24 Hwy in Perry, take Ferguson Road North approx. 7 miles to 86th street. Turn left (west) on 86th and continue about 1.5 miles, the road will curve to the south and be renamed Hamilton road. Continue about 1 mile south to the course. The course will be directly west across the road from the Grainery Saloon. Park along the road. If you have questions, please contact Ranger Kyle Broockerd at 785-597-5144 or 785-215-4216. Thanks.

smitty

Re: PERRY COURSE WORKDAY

Postby smitty » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Wish I lived closer, I would be pumped to have a course of this quality in my area. The early pictures looked killer, from what has been described to me it sounds killer.

Come on Topeka golfers get out there and help. You have to get tired of playing Lake Shawnee and Crestview.

Swede

Postby Swede » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Couldn't agree more. If you are not at the Rock, git yer RedWings and cutoffs over to the Perry course. You've got a ranger who is committed to putting in a quality course--take advantage!
Throw Millennium.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:22 am

Maybe some phone calls to those who have a good contact list of golfers in the area would be a good idea.

Wish I wasn't so far away as I would love to help with this. It sounds like potentially the best course in Kansas if everything is done right. And it sounds very much like the Ranger is committed to doing everything right. They just need a little help!

Ranger KB

Postby Ranger KB » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Just a reminder that the workday at the Perry course is at 8:30 tomorrow. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Ranger KB

Postby Ranger KB » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Unfortunately, we only had two guys show up for the workday. We got a decent amount done for only having three guys, but there is still plenty to do. I hope to have another work day sometime soon. Hopefully there will be a better turnout. Much thanks to the guys that showed up for the workday yesterday.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 pm

That's really a shame. I'm sure some of it had to do with 100 players at the Salina tournament this weekend. But no support from the local DG community. Perhaps some different things can be done next time. Make a Facebook event and we can get it to every discer we know. I bet if news of a killer disc golf course was posted on the discgolfcoursereview.com forum, some people would show. What is the status of the Dawn to Dusk Topeka disc golf club? Surely they could help. Post some flyers at the local courses. I'm sure there are lots of people that would help. Somehow, we're just not reaching them.

smitty

Postby smitty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 am

Ranger KB wrote:Unfortunately, we only had two guys show up for the workday. We got a decent amount done for only having three guys, but there is still plenty to do. I hope to have another work day sometime soon. Hopefully there will be a better turnout. Much thanks to the guys that showed up for the workday yesterday.

That stinks! What the crap? If I lived as close to 90 minutes away, I would make the trip. The course really looks like it is going to be amazing. Better luck next time.

specialkjs

Postby specialkjs » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 am

Ranger KB sorry I can't make it out today as I would love to help with the course! I will be looking for another workday to volunteer! Thanks again for building Longview Disc Golf Course and putting in the time to make it great, and what I believe will be one of the best in KS.

Return to “Disc Golf Discussion”