Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Rest In Peace Harry

General Disc Golf Chatter
R/B

Rest In Peace Harry

Post by R/B »

One of Salinas, own has passed on into peaceful rest. Harry Scott Shimp passed away 2:35 AM Early Sunday Morning. He died from Lung Cancer, Harry for the past two years had a great love for disc golf, the disc golf family , and especially SuperClass. His enthusiasm was beyond compare. Harry looked up to many players and had the need to belong....Now I know more why, the urgency.There is none like Harry. His Quirkyness and way of looking at things was always food for thought. There are many things I will remember about him, one is he never said a discourageing word about anyone, in fact found positives in people despite negative situations. His love for disc golf took him places many of us will never find. If you have a comment or story you would like to share, it would be much appreciated. Play on Harry, Play on...... Much Love and Respect ! Your friend. R/B
Last edited by R/B on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smitty

Re: Rest In Peace Harry

Post by smitty »

Shows you how short life really is, and that we should all be thankful for our time here on earth. You nailed it RB when you described the "Shimp". He was a one of a kind, and always found the best in people (a trait that is found in only a few people), many people were not able to accept Harry for his way of thinking and delivering his thoughts.

Harry was a great dude and we are all lucky to have known him.

One of my best memories of Harry actually involves RB. We were all hanging outside the shelter after the Rock, and Randy was jamming on his guitar and singing us songs. You could see the absolute love Harry had for both music and frisbee. As Randy was singing along, Harry would chime in from the back adding his own twists to the songs.

Another memory of Harry was him walking up to me at a tourney pulling out his headphones and I could hear The Jackson 5 blurting out ABC!

If there was one thing Harry loved more then Disc Golf it was Music.

RIP

Harry Scott Shimp
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

This is from the Salina Journal

Harry Scott Shimp, 52, of Salina, died Sunday, Nov. 6, 2011. He was born Jan. 19, 1959, in Topeka, the son of Harry A. and Martha R. Shimp.
For the past several years, he had been involved in business selling on the Internet. He recently returned to college and graduated from Kansas Wesleyan University in June 2011, with a degree in psychology. At Kansas Wesleyan, he served on the Student Council and was a member of the Psychology Club.
He was an authority on Redwing pottery, Dryden pottery and many collectables. His hobbies were disc golf and poker, and he was talented in both.
He was preceded in death by his father; and two aunts, Mary Dickinson and Harriet Tiner. He is survived by his mother, Martha R. Shimp, of Salina; and a daughter, Katherine, of Imperial, Pa.
A Requiem Eucharist will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8, at Christ Episcopal Cathedral. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorials to Kaye Pogue Hospice Center, 730 Holly Lane, Salina, Kansas Wesleyan University or the Cathedral.
Ryan Mortuary, 137 N. Eighth, Salina, is handling arrangements.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Very sad indeed. It's also sad he never got to read our "mini" messages, just to let him know he was in our thoughts. I know it would have meant a lot to him.

It was quite unexpected when Harry fell off the Disc Golf schedule in the middle of the summer. I just wish I had known him longer...

Rest in peace Harry.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I met Harry at my birthday party at my house last year. We had a blast that night. Harry was by far the most competitive foosball player.

I only talked to him twice since I heard he came down ill. I tried to be encouraging. Since he didn't want the whole world knowing about his condition, I was naive in thinking he would stabilize.

Harry came down to our Ace Race in Haysville. Longest drive by far. We played on the same card and he beat every one of us and took 4th overall. That was just a month ago...

I was thinking about him all day yesterday before hearing the news of his passing. Thinking about what I would say to him. I'm sure many wish that they could have spent some more time with him. What an incredible person.

We never know when it's our time. This reminds me to live every day as if it were my last. Harry's positive attitude makes me think he understood this. May God give rest to his soul. God willing, may we meet again.
crispinthomascarrasco

Post by crispinthomascarrasco »

Harry was a different kind of cool. always fun to talk to...no matter what the subject of conversation started out to be, we always ended up on some much weirder topics. after a long day at the Frontier 2010, he got everyone out in the park playing catch with superclass discs until dark. after playing another tournament in Wichita, I was heading home to get cleaned up and head to Mike's birthday party Mike mentioned above. I ran into Harry and he asked what was going on tonight. I invited him to Mike's house. He showed up with a nice bottle of wine and played fuseball all night. He didnt know anyone when he showed up, but by the end of the night, had a house full of new friends. He is definatley one of the most charasmatic dudes I have ever known and I will always envy him for possessing that trait so naturally.
R/B

Post by R/B »

Good to see how people were moved by Harry. I know more will respond, Harry will be grinning ear to ear when hes able to see these. keep um comming, I know there,s got to be more stories involving a crazy hip cat like Harry AKA "The Professor"

Once I was heading South on Ohio St. and I seen in my rear view this streak of silver darting in and out of traffic, sure enough it was Harry. He pulled up to me in the turn lane going at least 45, motioned me to roll down my window. He yelled out "remember that zepher you were eyeing of mine," It,s yours! He threw it out his window I reached for the catch, but he did,nt take in account our speed, and the Zepher bounced off the car behind me!!! When we finally rescued it from the busy traffic I was amazed that there wasn,t a scratch on it, and we did,nt cause a seven car pile-up. I pulled over onto a side street to talk to him , thats the last visual conversation I had with him. Over the phone later on I knew his golf days were limited. He cared for people, and was genuinely happy for them when they had success. He was a good person, with a big heart and a generous fun spirit.
scarpfish

Post by scarpfish »

I never got to talk to Harry as much as I would have liked to. I remember him schooling us on the awesome power of the Zephyr during ring of fire down at Wellington last year.

I did drop a mini in the bin Saturday, and while I'm disappointed that he never got to read it in this life, I'm glad I was given the opportunity to say my thoughts. I'm sure he's reading them in spirit. Perhaps we can still send the minis to his surviving family.

And perhaps a fitting tribute to Harry would be naming the Super Class tournament in his memory next year, and raise some money for cancer research or the Hospice.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Wow such sad news.

One of the nicest guys you could ever run into on the course. "One cool cat!" as he would say. He definitely was a unique person. The first time I met we talked for a long while and it was clear right away his love for the frisbee, especially the superclass. He was friendly and it really did feel like you knew him for a long time even if you'd never heard of him before. I don't think the guy had a mean bone in his body. As other said, he found the best in everyone and it really is a lesson to us all.

He was a huge reason the superclass movement started picking up especially in Salina. Would love to see it continue from here on out and I move that it become the Harry Scott Shimp Memorial tournament so we can make sure his story lives on for years to come.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

scarpfish wrote:
And perhaps a fitting tribute to Harry would be naming the Super Class tournament in his memory next year
Didn't see this before I posted, but yes, it would be very fitting.

Not to detract from Harry here, but the Johnny Robert Memorial in Colorado is done so well, that even though it is a big tournament, it is first and foremost a true memorial event. I've never met Johnny Robert, but feel like I have - people share stories every year and the more you hear the more you feel like you knew him.

I would love to keep the Spirit of Harry alive in the game and to share his enthusiasm with the people that may not have been fortunate enough to meet him. And we all know that if Harry had his way would never stop throwing those saucers!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
R/B

Post by R/B »

Thank you everyone for your kind words towards Harry. He deserves these kind comments and stories. I,d like to hear some of the road trip stories. I know several of you out there traveled with him to a few tourneys, Andy,and Mirranda for sure. Harry had things to share, and if you could get on his playing field they were mind melting conversations......Had several with him and he kept the floor for that was his zone.

I recieved several PMs towards the Salina SuperClass event and all lean towards it becoming THE HARRY SCOTT SHIMP MEMORIAL " a SuperClass event" It has my vote . thanks Kindy & T-rude for your input on keeping his spirit alive. Maybe we can get Crispin to drum up a teaser poster, I know It would make Harry even happier.
Last edited by R/B on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DUH

Post by DUH »

Mr Harry Putter (as I dubbed him) made quite an impression on me the last 2 years. We realized immediately how like-minded we were after our 1st talk. I was amazed at his ability to brush off the negative & be so care-free & happy. His theories on why people act the way they do were so great & sometimes right on, but mostly he just tried to make me smile. I know there were several tournies where Harry would show up by himself & I took those opportunities to return the favor by going over to hug & say Hi. He'd smile & thank me for being such a cool chick; he never thought someone like me would consider him a friend. I know my views have changed a bit since Harry's explained some of his life theories to me. Thanks Harry!

He gave me my 1st 2 superclass discs & roared with laughter when I dubbed them the MFr Zephyrs :mrgreen:
Harry always had a disc that he "knew" I'd like. Then he'd show me & I don't remember even 1 that he didn't just give to me when I admired it...
Or sometimes he'd throw in a little challenge- show me a disc I like & bet that if he didn't beat me in the tourney, he'd give me the disc.

At the Mulvane tourney last year, I got in my trunk & realized my favorite ESP Nuke was missing. When I told Harry about it, he insisted that I use his, just for the day. I got an Ace with his Nuke & I swear he was just as excited as I was about it.
I have many memories of Harry, there's too many to tell. I think Harry may have gotten to know me better than some golfers that I've been playing with for 10+ years. Seeing him remembered on here brings tears to my eyes.
Thanks, Randy for posting this

& to you Mr. Harry Putter, Princess Purple Putter will miss you & I promise to do my best to follow in your happy, care-free footsteps
R/B

Post by R/B »

wow thats a great sharing Mirranda. I too was given several disc . an old school rock SanMarino,a Hot stamp Zepher, and my go to Rhyno, thats made me alot of putts. I showed up at league and had forgot my Rhynos in my practice basket,( you know I can be beat if I dont have a Rhyno :lol: ) sure enough Harry pulled out a brand new one handed it to me and smiled. "can I borrow it I asked? " Sure he said.( interesting that it was the exact kind I throw) We shot the round together and I kept commenting how stable and bad ass it was, and every time I did his face just lit up with joy. That was over a year ago, and every time I tried to give it back he,d tell me he was,nt ready for it yet. I can,t help but think he bought it for me beforehand , knowing my love for Rhynos. I benched it for awhile because I was missing putts . I could see his dissapointment that it was,nt being played. I pulled it back into play 3 weeks ago the day of Elks golf tourney ( Austin drowned my other go to on a dare 8) ) I took 2nd in open, and I wish Harry could have seen me playing it again.. I would love to see that joyful smile one more time, and have one more talk........... I know there were others he was closer with than me, and if I got all this from being a casual friend, I can,t imagine what it was like to be a close friend. I,m sorry Harry, forgive me for the times when I would,nt allow you to get to know me better, yet you stayed true to yourself. Thanks for being you.
CHAS.

Post by CHAS. »

Harry and i first played casual round at Centenial in Lawrence a couple years ago and were instant friends. I dubbed him ( Thats some bad hat Harry) after some cartoon sitcom. Play afew Tourneys on the same card in Lawrence, Topeka and KC with him. I'll miss for sure. Til we meet again Harry and that bad hat see you later. CHAS. Charlie Tull.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Hah great story about the Rhyno RB. After you mention, Its easy to forget how much joy he got out of seeing other people happy. At the thomas park tournament I remember telling him about this awesome flick putt I made from my knees from about 100 feet out for birdie. He was more excited that I remember being, and I remember it striking me as odd because I could tell he was genuine about it, not just an average, oh wow cool...

All the stories make me smile guys. Maybe someone has photos they can dig up too.