How about a west Wichita course?

General Disc Golf Chatter
ditziwt

How about a west Wichita course?

Postby ditziwt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:08 pm

i just wanted to throw this out there, but has anyone ever thought of a course for west Wichita?
Several ideas off the top of my head would be Pawnee Prairie, Swanson or even Lake Afton. Sedgwick County Park would even be possible but would be too busy with other park traffic, imo.
Ideas, opinions, thoughts?

Re: How about a west Wichita course?

Postby 2 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:49 am

Lake Afton would be awsome but...... you have to pay, which is not a prob but its so far out there.. SCP is so busy!! PP might not be too bad? Swanson might not be too bad either but I'm sure they want to keep it a nature park..

smitty

Postby smitty » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 am

Who wouldn't buy a park pass if you had a killer course? Even if it was only 9 holes with 2 sets of tees.

Tuttle Creek and Pamona are both pay to enter the park.

scarpfish

Postby scarpfish » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Kind of funny that county and state parks were brought up. I got myself an annual KDWP vehicle permit this year (only $19.70 per car if you get it before April 1st) to look at what's inside some of our state parks and just took a three day exploratory tour of some of them. I hit Cedar Bluff, Wilson, Tuttle Creek, Pomona, and took a brief look at Eisenhower. I played the TC and Pomona courses, plus the much better course inside the Corps park on the other side of Pomona. There are supposedly two nine holers inside Clinton too.

The land in terms of acreage is there. Part of the problem I see is that a lot of the prime waterfront land is set up for campground area. A lot of the non-waterfront land is shule (not that tall this time of year, but come Summer I wonder how high that grass gets). I'm not sure KDWP would want to mow this land occasionally to make fairways in fear that it would take away from the natural aspect of the park, and even if they did, I'm not sure they could afford to with the budget crunch they're in. Then you have the problem with non DG'ers walking into the line of fire. TC was a nice course, but the one over water hole there #13 could be kind of dangerous with a boat ramp and fish cleaning station in the way. At the Pomona Corps park, I saw a similar problem with a playground area on #5. Granted, there was hardly anybody there during my visit, but I'll have to take another look later this year when the parks are in prime season.

God knows that I think a lot more DG'ers would buy a vehicle pass, and possibly do some camping if there were more courses available.

I've looked at Lake Afton before with this in mind. You could probably put a 9 holer on the west side of the lake, but it would be mostly open. Nothing spectacular, and certainly something that the entrance fee would deter me from.

doc

Postby doc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Clinton Lake State Park here in West Lawrence has an 18 holer...was used in the past at the now defunct Wakarusa MusicFest. They do mow-out fairways, but the rough is ROUGH.

Thanks for sharing about the State Park parking permits...does the price (naturally) go up after April 1st?
A proud KDGA member since 1/1/09!

scarpfish

Postby scarpfish » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:06 pm

doc wrote:Thanks for sharing about the State Park parking permits...does the price (naturally) go up after April 1st?

I believe its an extra $5. If you have multiple vehicles, you can get the second permit for a bit less. You can see here for details.

http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/State-Parks/Park-Fees

ditziwt

Postby ditziwt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:13 pm

i have been looking into this a little bit more and came across this Wichita initiative called the PROS (Parks, Recreation & Open Space) Plan. http://www.wichita.gov/CityOffices/Planning/AP/Comprehensive/PROSPlan/
This is a recent idea from the city and I think we should take advantage of this plan while it is still in the planning stages. The finalizing of the plan is due this spring or summer. The idea of the plan is to ensure we have a certain amount of park space as the city expands and this would be a good chance for disc golf to expand through the city. After the publicity of the Big Boy Toy Show, we should try to get our foot in the door.
After looking at what they got laid out already in their preliminary plan, i feel pretty strongly about Pawnee Prairie would be our best chance of seeing a new course on the west side. The park is over 400 acres and is the largest park in Wichita. The city has this park marked as "Major Renovation or Development to Existing Park".
Read through the plan and see what you think. The best time to do this may be right now.

DUH

Postby DUH » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:31 am

You should bring this to Mike or Bob's attention. They've got the resources to get this done with the club's support. Sounds like a great idea!

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 am

This year starting soon, I want to get personally involved with actively pursuing new disc golf courses. Tons of rounds being played everyday at Oak Park and even a lot more traffic at Herman Hill. Our town is at the stage where a new course or courses are needed.

I'm not much of the politician or salesman, but I am going to see what I can do. There are already some tentative plans for down the road in developing parks. Like this plan mentioned here implies, a lot of this would be a ways into the future. But I believe the time to start planning is now. We've also been involved with a lot of prospects that have "fell through" or been pushed back indefinitely into the future.

If you have helpful information such as what was presented in this thread, I would like to hear it. I'd even like to go out to proposed locations and see what the situation is.

Another thing on the to-do list is request for some improvements out at Oak Park.

ditziwt

Postby ditziwt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:02 am

on a nice day like yesterday, wichita courses seem to get backed up quite easily. the best way to alleviate some of that would be to add more courses.
that would be my argument to the park department. it just simple supply and demand.

Mike, I would be willing to walk around PP with you after i get back from vacation. I have spent many a hours there. The park is huge though so take a look at google earth to get some ideas.

ditziwt

Postby ditziwt » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:44 am

http://www.kansas.com/news/story/754307.html
i saw an article concerning Wichita's park budgets. it touches slightly on PROS Plan.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:37 pm

I sent the city a detailed message a few weeks ago. Requests for Oak Park and inquiries on possible future courses. Positive message that was responded to positively. They said they would work on something to present to try to get things going for us.

Parks Dept. has been working with us on both our courses. Big cuts coming up and more for next year. That makes it very hard for them to help us.

Article mentions Chapin Park. They wanted disc golf there, but they can't have any trees because of the barrier below ground level sectioning off the old landfill below. Bill mentioned that there could be some other "artificial" obstacles we could create for the course. I think that project is on hold.

scarpfish

Postby scarpfish » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:11 pm

On the subject of possible west side locations, I was just looking at the Wichita Parks website and found these two adjoining parks near 119th West and Maple.

Meadows Park
West Millbrook Park

There's a small softball diamond in West Millbrook, and a small playground and the walking path through Meadows, but not much else as far as interference. Anyone know what kind of foliage, grass, drainage issues you would be dealing there? I know in the past whenever there's been heavy rain this area has been notorious for street flooding. With all the little creeks running through I can see why.

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 pm

hey man i know that park . there is nothing out there but that play ground and baseball dimond. the grass get long in the low plases and there is a dranage that emptys into the park from the surounding nieghborhoods. A freind of mine live in that neighborhood that plays disc. some may have seen him at oak on his chopper. we have talked about getting league to set up some baskets as a travleing thing like smitty has done and try playing out there. it would be cool . not many tree but could use what is out there as a way to make the start or finish of many hole a little more dificult . there is also a burm out there that you could use for a small ellivation change.
Chain smoker

disclizard

Postby disclizard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:32 pm

after looking at the picture I realized how much bigger the parks are than what we thought . Rob and i will go out this weekand check it out and Ill even take some pics if some one wants to post them on here let me know and I'll email them to ya. Cause i don't know how to do that crap lol
Chain smoker

Return to “Disc Golf Discussion”