Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Atchison Course

General Disc Golf Chatter
smitty

Post by smitty »

I contacted Erik at the YMCA.

The head of the parks department quit or moved on or something.

Erik thought it would be in by the end of the month.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Is the course in the ground yet?
smitty

Post by smitty »

Rumor has it that 9 holes are playable.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

Sweet!
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I'll be heading for a week long stay up in that area tomorrow. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

edit
Last edited by MOthrows on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Sounds like they didn't stick to Smitty and Emac's proposed layout. :x Maybe they will change it when they install 18 holes?
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

I took out my last post, because apparently I was too blind to see all of the baskets that were in the park. We didn't drive down the right roads and we missed the large majority of the baskets. I'm very happy that I took my nephew to play the course today and that we found all of the other baskets.
They have a full 18 installed and though it is a fairly short course, it does have quite a few tricky shots. The quick elevation changes and fast putting greens make this course a whole lot of fun to play and I'm looking forward to hitting it again this week.
The only complaint that I have is the tee's are marked by a piece of wood set in the ground with the number and distance etched into it. It took us forever to find where we were supposed to tee off from and I'm sure that the course will play much faster on the 2nd try.
I especially liked #13, talk about a fast green.
Great job guys!
Leo D.

Post by Leo D. »

Played this course 4 times now, with tee pads this place will hands down be one of the best in kansas. Hole 8 is PIMP!!!
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Hello all, I saw this thread and thought it looked like a great avenue to post updates on the Jackson Park courses. That's right...."courses". We now have a 9-hole in the back of the park. It starts by the shelter that looks like a mushroom. The holes are probably a little longer on average than the 18-hole, but most of them are pretty straight shots and each basket is visible from each tee. We tried to make it more beginner-friendly. Hopefully, we succeeded.

Yes, the tees are hard to find. I recently walked the course to make sketches for tee signs, and I had trouble finding a few of them...and I was there when it was laid out!

Once we get those tee signs made, I think it will be much easier to navigate. We have all the materials, we just need to find time to make 27 signs!

Tee pads are not on the menu quite yet, but we've discussed it.

Anyway, I look forward to posting updates from our end and reading any praise or criticism that anyone might have for the courses. I hope you all keep coming out. It's always great to see people having fun in the parks......good fun, that is.

Keep your ears open for a possible grand opening in the spring, put on by our park board. Take care.
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

That's great to hear about the tee signs. Keep up the good work! I'm really looking forward to coming back and playing the course.
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

By the way, I'm the Parks Superintendent for the city. I thought that would show up with my name...guess I was wrong. :wink:
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Look forward to playing it. You can bet I'll post some feedback whenever I finally do.
Anakha

Post by Anakha »

Went and finally checked out all 27 holes today, and I agree with Leo, once the pads and signs go in, fantastic course. I had a blast throughout, even the shorties taxed. And there is so much room for alternates and even more great holes. :D

Good job!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Nice. Any idea on course lengths? Also, do you play on or across the road as OB?