Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Sandbagger Detection Formula

General Disc Golf Chatter
discatcher

Post by discatcher »

What I said was his statement was stupid. What you said is I'm stupid. That's a pretty uneducated opinion when you don't even know me.
Ring

Post by Ring »

It ain't that big a deal guys...Chill out :wink:
Evreybody dies but not everybody lives...
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

LD's the man!

DGSH- why don't you go juggle something?
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Who gives a chit..........
jtkustomizer

Re: Sandbagger Detection Formula

Post by jtkustomizer »

Mike I found this earlier.....thanks to friz-rocker telling me about it.

It took me a while to get all of the info but I used your little formula and came up with 45% and according to your chart I could either be in the right division or I could move up but i am definatly NOT a Bagger.

Feel free to calculate yourself.

Since it was my first year of play and my first year playing tournys do I get to take the 10% and the 20% off or just the 20% like I did? if I get both it would put me at 35% in the end.
Life's Circumstances will make you either Bitter or Better...
...Its your Choice
The only way out is through!!!!!
basket_case

Post by basket_case »

I'm at about 58%. But then I counted doubles and KDGA finals.
I think I had 3 wins, 1 second, 1 fifth, 1 13th, and 3 D.L.s (dead-lasts).
But I figure I still have time to enjoy my division because my wins were relatively small and the sub-800 rated rounds I threw in Emporia should cancel that out anyway.

BTW, Josh, you have 3 aces, right? And at least one was near/over 300'? If that's the case, Rec is probably not your divison.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Mike by your formula Im a doner..LOL Heck I knew that before Your formula . LOL I thought the joke was funny as soon as I read it i thought Yea they are sand baggers. they should have thier own devition called super open or some thing.lol they are both great guys and awsome players and should be proud as heck that they can sand bag the best of the best in kansas.

keep up the interesting formulations dude they make a person think.
Chain smoker
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

First off, let me apologize for my words earlier in this thread. It looks like I was the hot head.

Josh, since you brought this thread out of the dust and braved standing up to the sandbagging detection formula, I thought I'd check it out and see how the process I suggested actually works. I chose you.

The division we are discussing is the recreational division(sometimes called novice on the KDGA tour). You played 13 events on the tour last year. The glass blown open did not have an rec. division, so we can't see how well you did in rec for that tourney.

Out of 12 tournaments, there were 12 instances in which you did or would have cashed in recreational. The first tournament got you 6 of 15. You were never below 4th place after that, including finishing the season with 4 2nds and 3 wins, including one PDGA event winning intermediate. There were 4 times you cashed or would have cashed in the intermediate division.

Using the formula, we take 100% times 4 = 400%. Then we take 33.3% (4 of 12) times 3 and get 100%. Then we take 25% (3 of 12) times 3 to get 75%. We add 400 to 100 and 75 to get 575% and then we divide by 6 to arrive at the score of 96%

Not only does this formula show that you have been playing the wrong division, but that you might be one of the WORST SANDBAGGERS OF ALL TIME. Granted, last year was your first on the tour, but this year is not. Plus, your ability is much higher now than it was earlier in the season last year.

While your PDGA ratings may be lagging behind your actual skill, you might soon think about playing in advanced. The thought of playing rec. shouldn't even be a question, in my opinion. Recreational division is for players who are new to the game, those who play extremely infrequently, or who lack your athletic ability. While winning a time or two in other divisions doesn't necessarily mean it is time to move up, I think it is so for the rec. division. Many players don't even start with playing rec. I know I didn't. I played am2 for a year, did not win once, and then it was time to move it up to advanced. I know that I'm on the donation side of this formula, but seriously, nobody should be repeatedly winning the rec. division. It just isn't fair to the less talented players. Unlike some of us, these players may be unlikely to keep playing if getting whupped by the sandbaggers is something they can count on when playing tournaments.
Last edited by Schoen-hopper on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Formula aside, a simple way to break it down would be to say that if you have played a division for several tournaments and can say that you are cashing more than 50% of the time, it is likely time to move up.
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

I recalculated last night and had it all listed out ready to post then I had an error in my computer and it shut down but I will repost everything tonight.

I came up with 56% the second time.

I didnt cash 100% of the time either. The only time I didnt cash was at the GBO.
...Its your Choice
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

Mike you we`re correct that E-mac and Smitty are sandbaggers in smaller tournaments.Just as Tiger is a sandbagger when he plays smaller tournaments.The KDGA should penalize them 2 strokes a round.
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
smitty

Post by smitty »

If I get 2 strokes, Eric needs to get aleast 5!
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Friz-Rocker wrote:Just as Tiger is a sandbagger when he plays smaller tournaments.
Smaller Tournaments? I don't think Tiger plays any "small" tournaments. Just look at his schedule this year.

Tiger's '08 Schedule
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

jtkustomizer wrote:I recalculated last night and had it all listed out ready to post then I had an error in my computer and it shut down but I will repost everything tonight.

I came up with 56% the second time.

I didnt cash 100% of the time either. The only time I didnt cash was at the GBO.

Josh L. Place Of Division Cash? Cash up? Win?

Doo Dah 6 15 Rec. YES NO NO
Lawrence 3 11 Rec. YES NO NO
McPherson 2 4 Rec. YES NO NO
Wellington 2 7 Rec. YES NO NO
Beloit 4 13 Rec. YES NO NO
Ponca War 2 6 Rec. YES YES NO
Hays 2 8 Rec. YES NO NO
Anthony 4 10 Rec. YES NO INT. NO
Hutch 2 8 Int. YES NO NO
DDO 1 12 Rec. YES YES YES
Abeliene 1 4 Rec. YES YES YES
Wichita 1 13 Int. YES YES YES

Yes, as I mentioned, I didn't use GBO, because there was no rec division, which this formula is designed to check you against.

This shows 12 of 12 times cashed or would have in rec. 4 of 12 cashed or would have in int. 3 of 12 won division. The math comes up to 96%

The 20% subtraction was an afterthought. In some cases, newer players are increasing their skills above the level, while those who aren't new have settled into that skill level. I don't think it is appropriate for talented players to use the excuse of "play it for a year" to bag one division and then bag the next one. If at any point, that player isn't winning, they think they have to move down or keep winning the lower division another year. I guess this comes from a misperception of what the correct division is.

Keep it simple. If you are cashing more than 50% of the time over a period of several tournaments, it is time to move up (unless you are playing open!). 12 out of 12 times cashing? That is just silly. I can't believe you don't believe this is sandbagging! And in the rec. division! The first step to healing is to confess your sandbagging ways and then roster yourself against some tougher competition.
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

Ok I see now.

Time to move up but PDGA seriosly needs to get there standards looked at.

The last 3 tourneys I have figured out how I want to play during tourneys.

Could you figure up the stats for me being in Int. and see where that puts the percentages.

I think that mike is just trying to pick on me. Just because I have had a few great tourneys doesnt mean that I can keep it up. I am trying to do my best and that is all I can do.

Why somebody want to continue playing a game and not get any better is beyond me but most of you know that I am a world class Goped and JetSki racer and I am just trying to become a better discer so that hopefully one day I can be the World Champion.

I feel like there are major holes in my game and thats what I am trying to improve on right now.
...Its your Choice