Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Dr. Who? DR. DISC GOLF!!! 2K11

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
Ruder

Dr. Who? DR. DISC GOLF!!! 2K11

Post by Ruder »

Thanks for stopping by. Hopefully, this will become a must see thread on improving YOUR game. Are you having troubles in a particular area of your game that you need refined? Well, you found the right place.

Whether it is mental, whether it is mechanical, 'we will iron it out; no doubt'. Feel free to ask for any advice on your game: a reoccurring problem you've been having, certain situations, playing in the wind, playing on wooded courses, playing on "lefty" course, there is no problem that can't be solved. Lets see where this takes us.

There are no stupid questions just stupid people.....no wait....

I mean, there are no stupid people, just stupid ques......wait no.....

I MEAN, ASK WHATEVER YOU WANT!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
disclizard

Re: Dr. Who? DR. DISC GOLF!!! 2K11

Post by disclizard »

I have a Question for the Doc. I have been playing disc with a friend almost every weekend. I got him interested in the game and he is coming along but has seemed to stalled out on his improvment. He throws around 18 - 25 over on most courses we play like newton and derby. He has a tendency to throw his drives to high and with too much hyzer. I have told him many times to go to a field and practice his drives with all his discs and he has been doing that. He has started to learn what each of his discs will do and when out in a field he does keep his discs flatter and lower. As soon as we get to a course though he starts going back to the too high to hyzerd shot. My question is this. How can I help him straighten out his shots???. He throws about 100-150 feet on a drive and just doesnt have the power to go much further so the throwing style I use doesnt seem to work for him. I have worked with him on his X-step, disc selection, follow through, and throwing posture. Any help you can give me on how to teach him so he can get to the next level of play would be great.

thanks
Chain smoker
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Will catch you up after I close the store tonight.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

Um so I have been watching tons of videos and working on my putt quite a bit, I have always used more of an anhyzer putt which usually goes pretty straight and wobbles, but in study I have seen a lot of pros putt more on a hyzer is there more benefits to this?

A lot of times when I throw a mid range or putter maybe a 100 ft it only goes half way and dies? I use a modified power grip on every disc, more a fan on mids and putters. How much does the grip effect accuracy throws, I don't know if I could go back to a finger grip though? But I guess the question would be should I grip it tighter or try to tuck my fingers in more or is this something that makes no since? Sorry if I confused you. Thanks
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

disclizard wrote:I have a Question for the Doc. I have been playing disc with a friend almost every weekend. I got him interested in the game and he is coming along but has seemed to stalled out on his improvment. He throws around 18 - 25 over on most courses we play like newton and derby. He has a tendency to throw his drives to high and with too much hyzer. I have told him many times to go to a field and practice his drives with all his discs and he has been doing that. He has started to learn what each of his discs will do and when out in a field he does keep his discs flatter and lower. As soon as we get to a course though he starts going back to the too high to hyzerd shot. My question is this. How can I help him straighten out his shots???. He throws about 100-150 feet on a drive and just doesnt have the power to go much further so the throwing style I use doesnt seem to work for him. I have worked with him on his X-step, disc selection, follow through, and throwing posture. Any help you can give me on how to teach him so he can get to the next level of play would be great.

thanks
Great question. One of the newer players I have been watching has been doing this same thing, and he has been remedying it by just throwing nice and easy.

The major reason for a disc to go up high and hyzer out is by having your weight behind you on the release there by causing your momentum to shoot upwards instead of straight out. Why does this happen? I can't be completely sure but one thing I have noticed from watching newer players is that they are simply trying to throw it too far for their abilities. It is a lot easier for people to transfer the momentum they gain upwards than it is outwards, it is definitely a skill that almost every golfer learns to reach their next level.

In order to get your disc out flat and level your weight needs to be shifted OVER (in front) of your pivot knee. This keeps your disc flat and level with the ground. Maybe he can try going into his drive with a slight lean forward - it may cause him to shoot it straight in to the ground. But the better part of this is that he should start becoming conscious of the how the position of his body is causing the change of his disc flight.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Putting is something I've actually outlined to start writing about so there will be something later going into more detail. Discussing putting, I'm not sure is something that can be conveyed accurately enough in just writing. I believe there will also need to be some visual aides to be understood correctly and I am taking that into consideration.

kscustom wrote:Um so I have been watching tons of videos and working on my putt quite a bit, I have always used more of an anhyzer putt which usually goes pretty straight and wobbles, but in study I have seen a lot of pros putt more on a hyzer is there more benefits to this?
I'm not sure there is any inherent benefit to putting hyzer or anyhzer. One thing you must keep in mind though is that for every different angle and trajectory the disc comes in from, there is a different sweet spot on the chains that will give you the greatest chance of catching. I would like to think that for an putt coming in anhyzer that it would be more benficial to come in just left of center chains.

For any putt it is ideal to enter the chains flat/level and dead center. I, myself, putt with a hyzer and I always like to have the apex of the flight be flat or with a very slight hyzer - coming in right to left - just inside the right side of the pole as; if it were a bowling ball going into the pocket. If you are putting anhyzer you will want just the opposite.

kscustom wrote:A lot of times when I throw a mid range or putter maybe a 100 ft it only goes half way and dies?
Not exactly sure what you're asking here, but putters in particular don't have the wing that you see on a driver so in order for it to go farther you will have to get more air under it. You can do this in a couple of ways. One, you can just throw it higher which will naturally push the nose of the disc up, or two, you can throw it level and just control the nose of the disc so its pointed up a bit. I believe Smitty called this the "air bounce".
Putters float on the air, rather than cut through it.

kscustom wrote:How much does the grip effect accuracy throws, I don't know if I could go back to a finger grip though? But I guess the question would be should I grip it tighter or try to tuck my fingers in more or is this something that makes no since? Sorry if I confused you. Thanks
Well grip is very important and you will always want a firm grip on any disc you are throwing. The most important thing is to have a grip your are comfortable and confident with, I've seen putters and midranges gripped so many different ways it would boggle your mind. Try a few grips out and practice in the field for a couple of weeks and find one that has consistency. Ask people you see how they hold their disc and try out different ones you think you might like. I still do this because there is always something new to learn in the game of golf.

Hope that helps some.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

Ya I like the putter don't cut part that makes since. Thanks dr d! I have don to coach me so I am actually pretty set lol thanks don! As far as putting goes I have a o so nice norton basket at my house and always thought if I practie on that I should do better on real baskets, but it has not worked out so well. I did just order a chainstar though, so I will be usin it tons till the new wears off. So well see what happens. All in all my game has a came a very long way in past year that I have been playing. I have always struggled with mid ranges more that any other disc. And putting is coming around, practice makes perfect. Thanks again dr d!
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

Hyzer putt vs. anhyzer putt. Both of these putting styles have advantages and disadvantages... The advantage of a hyzer putt is that the disc will come to ground sooner if thrown at reasonable speeds. If you are a hard putter this might not make too much of a difference. Also, some people find it easier to judge the flight, since it's only turning hyzer. Anyhyzer putts generally require a more stable putter, but will stay up longer than a hyzer putt if both are thrown with the same speed. The idea is to have the disc cross the "T" as it hits the basket. I have fewer cut throughs when I putt anhyzer correctly vs. a correct hyzer putt. Some of the better putters use 1 style more than the other. Both E Mac and Nate Doss use the anhyzer predominantly. Ken Climo is a true hyzer putter, and Nikko Locastro is more throw it flat and let it turn. Knowing how to gauge either shot well, gives a big advantage when it comes to playing in the Midwest's windy conditions. Release angle is usually dictated by the type of disc you putt with, and the conditions you normally see at your home course.
On the beginner driving issue, tell your buddy not to try so hard. In doing so, he's taking a big finishing step, and dipping his body(betcha)! Instead have him practice controlling the release, while throwing 3/4 speed from an upright relaxed stance. If he'll keep his throw on 1 plane(level) the distance will come.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Ron you are right on the money. He does try to throw to hard and does take that last big step. I did notice that his body does dip and his release is on the up swing of that final step. I thought of maybe taking him back to the basics and having his throw from the tee pad useing just one step or even no step , concentrating on his uper body control. I have been trying to get him to control his disc (flat and level) but wasnt sure if that was the way to go about it. Thanks Ron
Chain smoker
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

You should be practicing. What have you been practicing?
cfluty

Post by cfluty »

ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

I've been practicing my fearless 45 footers! With the Players Cup and other match play events becoming more common, learning to change my mindset to " Go for Broke", is a difficult but necessary task! Re learning ....
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Does any one have any good Ideas on drills a person can do in thier front yard to help get better averages in their putting. I have use of two baskets but usually only drag one out for putting practice. I have about 5 good putters i use for practicing. I usually just go around the yard in differnt area and putt but I dont seem to be getting much out if it. So any ideas that you have will help. I do like to try to make it fun so some thing where I can make it like a game against my self would help.
Chain smoker
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

I take 3 putters and start at 15 feet (sorry, can't do the meter thing). If I make 2 out of 3, I step back another 3 feet and move to the left, 45 degrees. If I miss 2 or all 3, I step up 3 feet, and 45 degrees to the left. You can change it however you want (have to make all three, stay at same distance if you make 2 but still move 45 degrees to the left, never move any closer even if you miss all 3, use more discs and set any number of makes/misses, etc.). Rodney Dyck either made this up or read it somewhere. It's fun! I like to put the basket where there are trees in the way, or other obsticals!
R/B

Post by R/B »

putts are made from confidence. Strengthen your mind set first. there are many many effective styles, and all are backed up with confidence. Any great putter knows they can make the putt, even before they approach their disc. Obviously practice builds confidence. I recommend having at least one back up style for when one is,nt working during your round you can fall back on it. I,ve been able to compete effectively because when somthing does,nt work I have other arsenals. Timeing is very important. Haveing a rountine that involves timeing will produce chain bangs. Have positive conversations with yourself to maintain your confidence.( sounds a bit crazy , but there,s more than one of you in your head.) When you size up the basket tell yourself " I can make this putt" over and over, you will be surprised.
Last edited by R/B on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.