Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Throwing the right roller disc

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
disclizard

Throwing the right roller disc

Post by disclizard »

I have a question about throwing the right disc when throwing a roller and also where you should aim. I know when you throw a roller useing the anhyser back hand you want to use a very understable disc like a (I only throw discraft) SS avenger or even a stratus. But what about when you throw a flick roller do you want to also use an understable disc? Second half of the question is this : Lets say the conditions are no wind and level ground. When you throw the back hand roller where do you want to land the disc ? I know the disc will finish in a turn and usually to the left if I remember correctly is this normal or am I throwing the roller wrong? Also if you throw the flick roller would it be the other way and land to the left and the roll finish to the right?
Chain smoker
dragonessk

Re: Throwing the right roller disc

Post by dragonessk »

For forearm rolling I use an overstable disc. flick is my preferred, but a crush, or even a newer wraith can give me good distance. I try and release at at 45` angle a little in front of my body and above my waist. I am an amatuer but have had good luck working with these basic ideas. wrist action and a tight grip are important for release. Hope this helps.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

A flick (forehand) roller was my first distance shot. Same thing for my little bro. I remember when he was 8 years old throwing a backhand 100' and a flick roller 300'! Since the day Frank "Taco" Valdez told me I didn't need it for distance, I haven't used it much. But its a great shot to have, espescially for trouble shots! You need little room to throw it and it can be maneuvered to almost any situation. The trouble, as with any roller, is figuring out where it will finish. Best flick roller I've ever seen is Chris Dendurent's. I saw him park 7 at HH, long to long!

Everyone is different, but most people roll their wrists over when throwing a flick shot and even more so when throwing a flick roll. This causes the angle of the disc to change before/ during release and translates to the disc "turning over" too soon to the left for a righty. So most use more overstable plastic to compensate.

The release of a backhand roller has a lot less annhyzer angle for most players, so a more understable disc is needed. With either shot, the more overstable the disc you are using, the more critical to get it on the ground early. Less stable discs can be "led" and 70% of the shot can be air with the disc turning over the whole way. Which shot you play just depends on what you want it to do. I'd say there is a happy medium when it comes to control. Getting it down fairly early, but not too early gives the best control, in my opinion. But getting big air followed by a perfect angle striking the ground can yield the best distance.

Another thing, you said you should play the backhand roller to turn left and the flick roller to turn right. This is known as a cut roller. Most find that a roller that turns over the opposite direction yields both the most distance and control. You want it to turn over, just not too soon. A shot that never turns over can go a long way the wrong way.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

My favorite roller was a worn in Polaris LS. I love the X-Press as well.

I've been trying Avenger SS & Sidewinder and find that I can't get them to roll straight! They vere way left then turn hard right. My slower drivers were WAY easier to control.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

I have never thrown a polaris but did used to have a JLS that I just loved was my best disc for a long time.
Chain smoker
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Furthest roller - Pro Wraith

JUST GRIP IT AND RIP IT!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Sorry Ruder I don't throw that innova stuff. I will stick with my Discraft. I do also have two DGA discs a tsnami and a rouge in my bag i use for flicking thanks to Banger bob. love these disc we traded for.
Chain smoker
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

thanks for all of the pointers people. i was going to ask for some demonstrations from a few people during the ice bowl but looks like the snow is going to screw that up. o well some day i may just have to go to winfield and play a league round out there and ask chris smith if he could throw a few with me. Are ya Down for that Smitty?
Chain smoker
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Your loss
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

SMITTTTAAAYYY!!!
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Forehand rollers I'd use a flick. You have to throw it down with a little bit of angle leaning to the bottom side. If you throw it straight up and down it will turn top side too quickly and roll off in a loop.
smitty

Post by smitty »

mrsenortyler wrote:SMITTTTAAAYYY!!!

"I JUST SHOT THE BEST ROUND OF MY LIFE.........HEY SMITTTAAAAAAYYYYYY"

Lizard-

If you need a good roller. Grab an X Xpress. As flippy as a Stratus and faster. Ron was a fan of these for a long time.

When it comes to throwing a roller, just over crank it on an anhyzer and let it do the work. How far it will fly will depend on a ton of things: disc, speed, wind, where you need the disc to finish. For a 2-finger roller go with something more stable. The Flick does work pretty well. These are a little easier to control on shorter shots.

As a general rule of thumb. The disc will want to fall towards the top of the disc. The exception to this rule is with more stable discs. Someone once told me that a disc will do the same thing on the ground as it does in the air. Meaning that a more overstable disc will turn to the left at the end of its roll (rhbh), and a flippy disc will turn to the right at the end.

Here is a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18h0H2MI ... re=channel
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Hosfeld blowing his hand at the end was funny. At World this year, he lost a playoff for a trophy and then got up there to give his speech and during the middle of his speech he drops the trophy that he just lost in the playoff and it busts in pieces. He's funny even when he isn't trying to be.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Chris thanks for all of the advice on roller. Also the examples you give make the most sence to me because You use discraft discs and Know them. Since Discraft is all I use I now know which ones are the best for rollers. Remembering that my throw isn"t neerly al hard and fast as yours is are your advised discs the same? The video was hard for me to get any thing out of it because i cant understand what they are saying in it and the camera jumps alot. but seeing some of the technique did help some. Try watching that video with out sound though and you will see what I meen. Hard to get much out of it but thanks for the disc advice that is what i was looking for.. Still would like a chance to watch you throw a few and throw a couple also with ya ..
Chain smoker
smitty

Post by smitty »

X Xpress is one of the flippiest drivers Discraft makes.