Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Throwing the right roller disc

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
jtkustomizer

Re: Throwing the right roller disc

Post by jtkustomizer »

I have found that practicing different shots away from the course has helped more than spending a round trying new shots on specific holes only. I just wish the snow would hurry up and melt so i can get some more fieldwork in.
Life's Circumstances will make you either Bitter or Better...
...Its your Choice
The only way out is through!!!!!
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Josh i do that also. You met rick at the ice bowl. There is a school out by where he lives that we go to and throw in a field. I usually go to help him with his throw and end up practicing shots my self. it has help alot with my anhyzer throws . I think this year i am going to make it a must do and learn the roller so that i can use it during a tourney or even a league game if i need it and not be scared too just do it. That is one throw I never pull out of my bag during a $$$ event.
Chain smoker
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

smitty wrote:X Xpress is one of the flippiest drivers Discraft makes.
The Discraft Express came out around the same time as the Innova Valkyrie. At the time it was a turnover driver. Typically the X-xpress is high speed Understable and Lo speed Overstable which means that it will fight to hold the line at the end of it's roll.
Discraft rollers of choice are( for me ) Stratus-to 300 ft or "get out of trouble shots."
X-Xpress to 400ft or special circumstances
Avenger SS to 475ft
I'm now using a beat in ESP Flash for max distance Rolls. All of these discs turn over (anhyzer) by themselves. I suggest trying the X- Xpress as the best general purpose "Trainer" roller. As an alternative, any disc that started life as long straight can be used once it is thrashed. The main thing to learn is, that to get distance on a roll, it is important to still throw a normal shot. DO NOT do the exagerated" Roller" release which beginners try. Just take that flippy disc and release it as if it was a new Overstable Predator and throw it forward. With a little practice you'll find the angle and height of release that makes it hit the ground right for a roller.
Start out making it hit the ground with about this angle.
-------------------------------------d---------------------
------------------ Bottom-----------i -----------------Top
----------------------------------------s------------------
-----------------------------------------c-----------------
-----------------------ground----ooooooooooooo------
Forehand shots have less spin to stabilize them and flip easier, compared to a shot of the same speed backhand. Test it out for yourself with a good Yin-Yang tye-dye.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

LOL ok I just had to laugh at some thing there ron. 300 feet ? I haven't thrown any thing that went 300 feet in a long time except that one time by accedent in KC last fall when my disc hit the ground and rolled down the hill in the wrong direction all the way to the bottom and in the water. LOL That is why I have been asking about the roller though because I just cant seem to find a disc that will roll well for as light of a throw i have. I have gone as far as puting a 150 class disc in my bag just to get an extra 20 feet out of a throw. I do like the advice that both you and smitty have given though and will try the discs and techniques both of you have explained. I always did wonder what angle your disc should be when it hit the ground and have always tried way to hard to force it to land strait up and down. Now i know thats wrong . Played this game the first time at 15 throwing pluto platters and wammo frizbee at poles and trash cans. I am 45 and still learning new things. thanks guys :D
Chain smoker
smitty

Post by smitty »

The wind has a lot to do with the angle you want to land the disc also.

With a left to right wind, you want to land it a little more flat. I have actually had some of my longest rollers with this type of wind. The wind will get under the disc and hold it up.

With a tail wind, you will probably want the disc to land on more of angle that Ron has showed. The disc should hit, go left, then fall to the right if you throw it correctly.

Rolling with a right to left wind is tough. I would say that it should be done only in an emergency. Or throw a 2 finger roller.

Ron is exactly right. Throw the disc hard with a little anhyzer and it should turn into the ground and go. The higher you throw it, the more chance there is for it to do the wrong thing. Holes 2 and 17 and Pratt both break this rule. You throw the disc into the clouds and let it hit and fall over to the right.
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

disclizard wrote:LOL ok I just had to laugh at some thing there ron. 300 feet ? I haven't thrown any thing that went 300 feet in a long time except that one time by accedent in KC last fall when my disc hit the ground and rolled down the hill in the wrong direction all the way to the bottom and in the water. LOL That is why I have been asking about the roller though because I just cant seem to find a disc that will roll well for as light of a throw i have. I have gone as far as puting a 150 class disc in my bag just to get an extra 20 feet out of a throw. I do like the advice that both you and smitty have given though and will try the discs and techniques both of you have explained. I always did wonder what angle your disc should be when it hit the ground and have always tried way to hard to force it to land strait up and down. Now i know thats wrong . Played this game the first time at 15 throwing pluto platters and wammo frizbee at poles and trash cans. I am 45 and still learning new things. thanks guys :D
This actually makes disc choice easier. Get a slower disc like a Stratus, which will respond to slower input.
As far as throwing 300 ft., we need to talk, because I think that with a little time and practice I can get virtually Any able bodied person to throw farther than that. Disc selection might also be something to look at in the old discussions on this forum. Catch me next time I'm in Wichita and I'll give you some pointers.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

TRICK SHOT ROLLER CONTEST - 2K10!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

Ruder wrote:TRICK SHOT ROLLER CONTEST - 2K10!
See you in Pratt, you can witness my upcoming roller ace.
gippy

Post by gippy »

Find sum Videos of Climo throwing a roller. Simply Amazing.
Lizard I know your discraft but if you apply stableness to your discs you'll be fine. Like the rest of people have said Understable discs work the best but will stand up and roll to the top of the disc. The more stable the disc the longer it takes to stand up,depending on the angle you get it to the ground. I use a Eagle for flick rollers. I can judge where I need it to turn the best. For back hand Rollers I use a Valkyrie. When i want my flick roller to finish to the right I use a Whippet(super overstable) and it never stands up. Putters can work well too for short outta trouble shots but they stand up quick. I am liking my Vibram VP(overstable) for short flick rollers.

Back Hand Rollers I have no luck getting them out more than 200-250 and not accurate at all. What the trick?