Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

training video

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
ronconversjr

training video

Post by ronconversjr »

Training video courtesy of Discraft. Pretty good tips. Don't forget that it is sometimes easier to use an overstable driver as a cut roller, rather than a mid. It is less likely to flip up, and allows you to put a little more power on it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sportdisc
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
Schoen-hopper

Re: training video

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Wow, that is a well made video. Mike Randolph is a great istructor!

I have never thought of trying a thumber roller before. I've seen a thumb roller (different grip, disc orientation), and know I couldn't use it for much. But the thumber roller makes sense now because the roller that turns over is usually a little easier to control than the cut roller. And backhand rollers are difficult to execute when not thrown full power.

What did he call the tomahawk putt? A Scooba putt? Seems like a Turbo would work better at short distances. I guess if you are streching up and right, Turbo is best. Up and left, go with the Tommy Putt.

I saw another one once that resembles how they used to quickly return frisbee throws. Thrown with the thumb on the bottom in the middle of the flight plate and the fingers splayed on top in the middle also. Thrown overhead with counterclockwise spin. Doesn't go that far because the grip doesn't generate much speed on the disc. Kinda flies like a baby flickshot that needs to go over something. Similar to the turbo putt in function. What do they call this one?

One of my Dad's favorite trouble shots for a low ceiling upshot is an upside down thumber that slides on it's back to the pin.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

I'd seen this video last week. I'd never tried a thumber roller before either. At stillwater this weekend, I tried one during warm up to get out of a bad spot...it worked pretty good. During the first round, I found myself in the shule, about 30 ft. from the bucket. (one of 3 holes that it's possible to get in shule). There was no way I could see to get close to the basket. A little flick shot would be to hard to throw that tight of a line, a little anny would probably end up OB in the street. There was no way through the crap, straight, nor with a hyzer. I thought 2 finger cut roller, but was worried it'd stand up and go in the street. I decided to bust out the thumber roller for the 2nd time in my life. I couldn't believe that the disc stopped where it did, it rolled around and was eight feet short and right of the bucket, I never thought in a million years I could have gotten the disc to that spot no matter how hard I tried. Pretty handy little shot.
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

Schoen-hopper wrote:Wow, that is a well made video. Mike Randolph is a great istructor!

I have never thought of trying a thumber roller before. I've seen a thumb roller (different grip, disc orientation), and know I couldn't use it for much. But the thumber roller makes sense now because the roller that turns over is usually a little easier to control than the cut roller. And backhand rollers are difficult to execute when not thrown full power.

What did he call the tomahawk putt? A Scooba putt? Seems like a Turbo would work better at short distances. I guess if you are streching up and right, Turbo is best. Up and left, go with the Tommy Putt.

I saw another one once that resembles how they used to quickly return frisbee throws. Thrown with the thumb on the bottom in the middle of the flight plate and the fingers splayed on top in the middle also. Thrown overhead with counterclockwise spin. Doesn't go that far because the grip doesn't generate much speed on the disc. Kinda flies like a baby flickshot that needs to go over something. Similar to the turbo putt in function. What do they call this one?

One of my Dad's favorite trouble shots for a low ceiling upshot is an upside down thumber that slides on it's back to the pin.
Mike, The whole point in throwing the scooby putt was to lose height rapidly, and die quickly(in case you miss!), try it in the open and you'll see what I mean. This is basically just another way to deliver a U.D. throw accurately.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

Good vid. Gonna have to try that thumb roller. I use the cut roller Now and then already. and the scooby putt i have used but that thumb roller would be a great shot to put in my bag.. Thanks OP
Chain smoker
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

Claudia19 wrote:There are many golf training tools on the market and go anywhere from instructional videos and a radar device to calculate the speed of your swing. You can watch instructional videos on the comfort of your home and are excellent, in fact, to observe, to play golf correctly. Another advantage, if you are a beginner, which are the criteria for golf.

Golfkurse
Please ban this account.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.