learning your "off"hand

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
Notorious ROG

Re: learning your "off"hand

Postby Notorious ROG » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Ron, I played for a while lefty when I tore up my right shoulder, it was probably 2002 time frame. I got decent at it playing oak park with my casual buddies, my biggest issue was putting as well. Have you been able to figure out a sidearm single or two finger shot lefty, I never could.

Every now and then I throw drives lefty when I am playing Will Rodgers here in OKC, just to see if anybody is paying attention, I get some funny reactions.

Good Luck, ROG

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:20 pm

Whoa! Amazing lefty drive. But, that hand looks ugly! The location of the break looks like it might be a boxer's fracture? Though never a good thing to break the throwing hand, a full recovery is a hopeful possibility. Hope you can get your righty back in time for the Glass Blown: Ron & Emac.

ronconversjr

Postby ronconversjr » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:58 pm

E-mac's drive looked pretty good. This is not the first time that I've become a short term lefty. In my late teens I cut some tendons in my right hand and threw left for several years.
Smitty, the point of all this is that I'm already "forced" to use my left almost exclusively....even for brushing my teeth! :mrgreen:
Rog, I tried a sidearm on 17 the other day and it cost me a stroke. That said, if I must continue to play lefty for an extended length of time, it is a must have throw.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com

basket_case

Postby basket_case » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:23 pm

How far was that Buzz shot? It looked like it went farther than one of my normal Buzz throws with my right hand.

smitty

Postby smitty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:43 pm

May have been a ZXL. I have seen him throw a green XL a few times.

basket_case

Postby basket_case » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:12 pm

"Not a bad little Buzz shot"

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Schoen-hopper wrote: But, that hand looks ugly! The location of the break looks like it might be a boxer's fracture? .

Wikipedia wrote:[A boxers Fracture] is usually caused by the impact of a clenched fist with an immovable object, such as a wall, a set of wooden stairs, a cement floor

Hmm.
Last edited by mrsenortyler on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schoen-hopper

Postby Schoen-hopper » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:36 pm

Basically the pinky tarsel or whatever that bone is called.

mrsenortyler

Postby mrsenortyler » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 pm

You were right about what a boxer fracture is.

ronconversjr

Postby ronconversjr » Fri May 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Well, time for an update...After less practice than I should have applied, I'm fairly happy with the results. I found that my physical therapy left me so drained initially that I had trouble keeping any sort of practice schedule. Now that I've gotten better at dealing with the pain involved, I can spend more time focusing on improving my game. I still have not gotten a lot better distance lefty, but putting and approaching is getting consistently better. The key seems to be seeing the flight needed and trying to release the disc so that it's flight coincides with my mental image. I think that I will be better at not just picking the shot, but also fixing in my mind what I need to do to pull it off. I mean, at this point I'm also throwing some right handed again. Not as smoothly as before, but a studied effort. Seeing the two different release points I can hit with the same disc(right and left) and having to stop and make a decision on which way to go is making a better "Golfer" if not a better thrower. I still am having trouble justifying practicing as much with my left as I should. Now I practice until my right falls off and I'm getting bad practice, then I throw lefty. Around the yard, mostly>200ft., I've gotten fairly comfortable with the approach to a short drive (left handed). I hit most all putts within 20 ft. in almost all conditions. The largest problem I still have lefty involves slightly over torquing my putter/approach discs. I found that my xtreme, with it's defined rate of turn , is probably my best approach. The shot doesn't have as great a chance of going in as a putter shot, but I usually end up inside 15 ft. looking at easy par. Plus, it seems lately that when I do get free, the weather is choppy.
So, KEY, pay close attention to what you are doing with the disc when you get ready to release it. Starting slow and working out gradually will help to avoid picking up bad habits. Practice, but think in detail while practicing. Don't just fling, Focus on a calculated, reachable, high percentage shot, and work at extending the limit of your accuracy. Golf requires placing the disc where you want it to be for the next shot, not just crushing. Playing within your game will lower how many bonus strokes you get for stupidity! :idea: This is harder when your abilities are changing or you are using unfamiliar skills, or plastic. So try to use techniques you are familiar with. In other words, practice until you can do what you want! Practice with the plastic you plan on competing with, Know the shots you CAN pull off, use the highest percentage shot to get it where you want it.
See you at Pratt for my first tourney of the year! :D
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com

Bangrrr

Postby Bangrrr » Sat May 16, 2009 4:14 am

Can't wait!
Throw some D's on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Technique & Training”