Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Weight Training

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
scarpfish

Weight Training

Post by scarpfish »

After a long winter, and not much practice as of late (I should get off the computer more :lol:), the throwing arm isn't in the best shape that it could be.

Yeah, my driving technique needs more work, but I think some physical conditioning would help things along. There just doesn't feel like there's much juice left after about 20 throws, and I'm going to need more than that to get through a tournament.

I have a 5 lb. dumbbell thats often just sitting around the house, and was wondering if any of you do any sort of weights to keep your DG game in top shape. About how much weight do you use? What kind of exercises and for how long? Any advice or online resources you could link me to would be great.
gippy

Post by gippy »

I should but havent done any weight training but situps and push ups do wonders for the core mulscles that dumbell wouldnt hurt none I am sure I usually do any where from 40-60 sit ups and about 40 push ups a night it has help with the distance factor
Bangrrr

Post by Bangrrr »

12 oz. curls..... say a dozen or 2 sets....sometimes 30. Fall down, wake up, repeat.
Throw some D's on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

At Wichita (end of year tourney) I did something to my shoulder and it wasn't going away. Also, I hurt my elbow playing softball last summer! Saw the school trainer at basketball practice (I was JH Boys Asst. this year for those of you that did not know) and he gave me some exercises. They were with one of those elastic bands and I did them every day for a couple months. Seemed to do the trick!

Since then I have been doing shoulder, bicep and tricep exercises with 10 lb weights and now, 15 lb. I am ready for 20 lb. There are still some that I use the 10 lb weights with. I don't feel tired after one round and my shoulder and elbow feel great!

I know there is a disc golf product called “The Equalizer”. I have not tried it. If you look it up, you will find there are different levels of difficulty you can purchase to match your build or ability. Could be worth a try.

Also, several disc golfers recommended that I start doing my sit-ups and push-ups again (Ronvers for one). My gut sticks out more when I do a lot of sit-ups, but my back feels a lot better, so I will keep doing them. I got one of those exercise balls (you know, the big ones you can sit on) and I like it just for a change of pace. There are a lot of things you can do with that as well.

I also have a “power ball” and that helped the elbow too (you can get them on eBay)!

Remember, train to play, don’t play to train (ok, I read that somewhere else, but it fits)!

Don
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Playing well for me is about being loose and feeling balanced/ having plenty of energy. Arm strength just doesn't seem to be much of a factor in how far you throw a disc. Core strength helps and espescially how good your balance is for drives and putts. Suggest situps and jogging. Those help with tons of other things you do in life as well. The running does help with keeping your energy up. And you will sleep good too!
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

I just got a membership at the Y and i get three free personal trainer sessions. My first one I had i told the guy about wanting to work out to improve my distance and stanima for my disc golf game. he has played and has given me some exercises to do. I'll share them with you. First is working with rubber resistance bands. Pulling strait across your body about 15 times each arm just so you dont build up one side more that the other. another is also with the bands this time step farther away putting the resistance on the band and instead of useing your arm to pull the band , hold your arm firm against the body and twist at the waist this will build up the muscles you use when you twist during your throw.
and last is useing free wieghts. Take a dumbell and lay on a weight bench on your side the dumbell should be on the floor. pick up the dumbell pulling it across the body . I was told that you should use a weight that is heavey enought that doing around 15 reps is close to the max per each set. any heaveyer and you just building muscle and not toneing them also. for me i also like to do some real light 5 pound or so reps after the heaveyer work out just to tone even more.
Chain smoker