Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Dr. Disc Golf

Throwing techniques/styles, training, practice
Ruder

Dr. Disc Golf

Post by Ruder »

Lets star a resource clinic thread. With everyones help we can make it badass. The theory is that someone comes with a problem and we help fix it, the cool part would be to find out it actually helped.

So step one post your problem. Step 2 is to try and fix your problem in efforts to heighten your game. I got a camera and will do what I can. In all actuality Dr. Disc Golf will be no more one person than is DiscMan
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

I have trouble throwing straight ahead of me when the fairway is wide open or just looks weird.

HELP DR DISC GOLF
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
ronconversjr

Post by ronconversjr »

Ruder wrote:I have trouble throwing straight ahead of me when the fairway is wide open or just looks weird.

HELP DR DISC GOLF
be more specific!What is the problem ? late release?Worm burners?Sky busters? early release? trying to kill it?( in other words hi ?lo? right? left ?erratic? In general, to accomplish a straight throw in wide open field conditions/ :idea: pick a spot to aim for /use either a slightly flippy disc hyzered or a slightly stable disc anhyzered(depending on wind)/release as if you were hitting a line drive in baseball(straight out not hi or lo).
for a better answer more specific info is needed :lol:
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I have to keep focused on the goal of my shot. This goal could be just about anything. When the shot looks really easy, its easy to take for granted. This is when I can tend to make an unforseen blunder. Better to keep on a thought like... "Leave myself a tailwind putt." or "Don't be short."
smitty

Post by smitty »

Ruder-

I am with Ron.

How can it be wide open and look weird at the same time.

If it is wide open, throw a hyzer with a stable to over stable disc. Not a sky/spike hyzer. Throw it out to the right and let it collect to the bucket.

All you have to do Ruder is put 40 foot out side the basket. So you have an 80 foot circle to hit. You hit that circle and you are in.

What do you mean by weird?
smitty

Post by smitty »

Schoen-hopper wrote:I have to keep focused on the goal of my shot. This goal could be just about anything. When the shot looks really easy, its easy to take for granted. This is when I can tend to make an unforseen blunder. Better to keep on a thought like... "Leave myself a tailwind putt." or "Don't be short."
Don't worry about headwind vs tailwind. Worry about leaving it under the basket.

One thing I noticed in Beloit.

You have several different putts.

1- The long low release (100-120) thing.
2- The straddle. That I often think you make to hard for the putt at hand.
3- Several differnt putters.

If you watch the best putter we have around here.

Ron- same putt from 10 as from 40. He now has a little jump putt added to the game. Ron uses 2 different putters.

Eric- same putt from 10 as from 40, then jump putt. All with the same whit putter.

Babbit- same putt from to 10 to 30 with a Rhyno. Longer putts goes straddle with the Aviar.

T-Ruder- Always the same putt. Challenger or Magnet it is always hard to tell. They look the same.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I switched to the straddle putt because it is much more consistent at short range. Especially easier to hit the line. With the traditional or staggered stance, there are a lot of factors that can throw you off. If your balance is good, this may not be a problem. It is for me. I can't throw a straddle putt farther than 30' without it falling off badly, so I have to switch up.

As far as switching putters, I notice a big difference when using them for upshots. Within 30', not so much. I like to have 3 different stabilities.

Overstable. For strong headwinds or putting hyzer around something. X Challenger or Wizard. I use a Pro Rhyno for consistent hyzer upshots, but won't use it for closer shots that I'm trying to make.

Medium. DX or Glo Aviar or Soft Challenger. This is the main putter and can be used in the most conditions. My aviar is beat. I need a new one.

Flippy. Soft APX or Omega SS. The understable putter is a really important disc for me. Good for tailwind shots of course. I like using it for longer putts because my other putters will hyzer out instead of keeping the straight line. This disc can be thrown softly with touch to run at shots that wouldn't be possible for other discs, such as short hard right turns.

What do think of this, Dr. Disc?

The above is just my own attempt of an ailment for a nagging weakness. Putting. I agree that it is mostly mental. I almost always know if I will hit or miss before I release the shot. I need to learn how to quickly recenter when the negative expectation hits as I set up for a putt.
Ruder

Post by Ruder »

ronconversjr wrote:
Ruder wrote:I have trouble throwing straight ahead of me when the fairway is wide open or just looks weird.

HELP DR DISC GOLF
be more specific!What is the problem ? late release?Worm burners?Sky busters? early release? trying to kill it?( in other words hi ?lo? right? left ?erratic? In general, to accomplish a straight throw in wide open field conditions/ :idea: pick a spot to aim for /use either a slightly flippy disc hyzered or a slightly stable disc anhyzered(depending on wind)/release as if you were hitting a line drive in baseball(straight out not hi or lo).
for a better answer more specific info is needed :lol:
There is nothing in particular that the disc is doing, its just that when a drive requires real slight angles I have been over compensating. So instead of getting a slight turn right before it goes flat it is turning over way to much.

Or another thing. I can't get my drivers to come out straight from my body like I can my mid-rangers. They either come from the outside of my body on the left or it comes out from the center but I seems to come out late and takes the right line but comes out right.
gippy

Post by gippy »

Ruder try turn your self almost back to the target your going for IE start with your feet @ 180-90 degres from target if you X step it will close your hips and help with your release if you use your front shoulder as a focal point and line your target with that then starting the X step with your feet no more than 180 no less then 90 degres when you move foward your hips will open and bring the shoulder through pulling the arm and thus your disc where your shoulder wasa aimed.
Or try standing still til you get your aim back distance will suffer but you decide 285 in the fairway or 350 in the woods :lol: Just my thoughts
Putting I stay with the same molds and use newish,broke in,and beat for the differnt shots instead of having 5-6 differnt molds stick to one that works for ya and beat a couple in. I use the aviar DX and Glow opps i do have a pro line ryhno that i use for 100-200ft approaches
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

:evil:
Last edited by mrsenortyler on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsenortyler

Post by mrsenortyler »

I have figured a bit out, I went with the combatchuck style putt.
smitty

Post by smitty »

So Dr. DG

I SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot hit my lines, I cannot make a putt from outside of 15 feet.

Tonight I hit chains on 16 out of 18 putts and only shot -10.

What is the problem???

It may have something to do with the fact that I am married with 2 kids, a new house, and a 40+ hour a week job.

Any suggestions? I do love my wife and kids. The house and job are a little iffy at this time.

Let me know if you have any answers.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Sorry, no advice. :lol:
MOthrows

Post by MOthrows »

smitty wrote:So Dr. DG

I SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot hit my lines, I cannot make a putt from outside of 15 feet.

Tonight I hit chains on 16 out of 18 putts and only shot -10.

What is the problem???

It may have something to do with the fact that I am married with 2 kids, a new house, and a 40+ hour a week job.

Any suggestions? I do love my wife and kids. The house and job are a little iffy at this time.

Let me know if you have any answers.
What a difference a month makes. http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/kdga/content/view/252/41/
doc

Post by doc »

CLONE THYSELF.