Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

2015 Throw for the Soul! (Ellsworth) - October 17th

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
pironix

2015 Throw for the Soul! (Ellsworth) - October 17th

Post by pironix »

ironman

Re: 2015 Throw for the Soul! (Ellsworth) - October 17th

Post by ironman »

Thank you Pironix and Mace for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.
We have made a lot of changes to the course in Ellsworth to make it more challenging. There are now 18 alternate holes by extending the original short holes and shortening the original long holes. I have also added an island hole tha serves as the Ring of Fire basket after tourney play. New bridges have been installed along with alternative tee pads and 4 alternate baskets. This tourney will feature more cash and prizes from many sponsors and maybe a few surprises custom made by inmates from the Ellsworth Correctional Facility. The proceeds will benefit the Spiritual Life Center at ECF? The SLC Chaplains and a few minumum security inmates will be serving a freewill hot breakfast at the park before tournament play. Lunch is included by 3 local hole sponsors at their place of business. You choose which meal you want. The first 40 paid registrants receive a free tournament disc or tournament shirt with a custom design from a inmate at ECF? Extra discs and shirts will be available for sale at the event. We hope to fill this tournament since this is for such a great cause, challenging course, great food, extra cash payouts and prizes provided by a lot of great tournament sponsors. A courtesy gator utv will make rounds throughout the day to distribute fluids and snacks. Special thanks to Brandon Mace for helping with this event, Dynamic Discs and to the City of Ellsworth for helping with the course improvements. This will be a great tournament for all skillsets.
pironix

Post by pironix »

Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

smitty

Post by smitty »

Do you have a list of registered players?
ironman

Post by ironman »

Hey Smithy
Mace said he would help me with this but he was traveling. I hope to get the list posted today if possible.
Hope to see you there.
Mace Man

Post by Mace Man »

smitty

Post by smitty »

Played the course today, there are some pretty fun shots. Hole 2A, 7A, 12A and Normal are all fun to throw.

The locals have done a bunch of work on the course since last year.
smitty

Post by smitty »

Thanks for a great day Ellsworth! I love the way small towns get behind disc golf, and charities.

Those that didn't preregister, you missed out on a new disc. What were you thinking. Those of you who didn't use your lunch coupon. What were you thinking? It came out of your entry fee, and it makes the sponsors happy to see a return for their sponsorship.

Constructive criticism on the course. There is nothing worse then an unsafe course. The amount of traffic that plays the course on s daily basis, you can pretty much get away with anything. When you have as many people as we had, safety becomes a huge concern. Next year, when we have more people, someone getting hurt is a real concern. I do think the issues can be addressed pretty easily. You may not be able to play the original and alt courses, but you will get to play all holes.

Hole 1- No mando the second round. The mando forced all shots over 9's basket and into 9's fairway. In fact, I blew up 9's basket during the playoff.

Holes 8 and 9- The order of play needs to be switched here. When you play 8 long basket you need to play 9 short tee. When you play the short basket, play the long tee. That should be a simple no brainer fix.

Hole 10- Tee choice is another issue. When 18 long us played, short tee on 10 is much safer. mando, nobody is going to tbe left of that tree on purpose. A basket up on the slope would be super rad.

Hole 11- several people were hit on 16's new tee from drives on long 11. All short right handed hyzers are landing on that tee. Blind from both directions. Simple fix, when you play the new tee on 16, play the short tee on 11.

Hole 12- Why would the old road be safe and the left sidewalk be OB? That is completely backwards to what makes since. The road should be OB, they have been all day. The sidewalk should be safe, they have been all day.

Hole 15- The island is fine, the drop zone was to hard. I watched a group of older dudes playing it, and only 1 could throw that far. Maybe 1 drive from tee, 1 shot from dz, next shots from easier dz. When 15 long is played, you need to play 16 alt.

Hole 18- I see problems in the future in this hole. The long tee forces a shot to the left. There are always going to be kids on the playground.

I was not a huge fan of the way the OB Creeks played.

Hole 10- down the path from basket a disc would never be ob, the creek is to skinny. 5 foot deep or short you could be ob.

Hole 13- The OB creek needs to be in play. Ovee the creek also needs to be OB. The dry creek to right of sidewalk needs to be OB.

Hole 15- One small puddle behind the basket, should be safe. That is just bad luck. The creek between 13 and 15 needs to be OB? Maybe?

Hole 16- Not a fan of being safe on the left of creek. That is what I did. Invaded 10's fairway.

Hole 18- I don't think any water should be OB, unless it is running down the creek.
skeen

Post by skeen »

Hole 11 and hole 12: play 11 short and 12 long in the same round. Play 11 long and 12 short in the same round.

The pads being raised were an issue for me. Simple fix to build up the surface behind them. Even to have a gradual slope would be better than what was. Level would be perfect. Loose dirt clumps=sprained ankles.

The community sponsorship was insane. Schedule willing, I'll be back.
ChainedEvil

Post by ChainedEvil »

What were the results of this tournament? How many players were there? Just curious as to how this tournament played out.
Thanks
CW
pironix

Post by pironix »

Craig - you can find the results at the link Mace posted above for pre-registration. Had to ask myself to do KDGA points!