2nd Annual Cherry Street Disc Golf Championships

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
smitty

Re: 2nd Annual Cherry Street Disc Golf Championships

Postby smitty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:27 pm

cfluty wrote:I'll make the trip smitty, didn't know until today, so I'll bring my own lunch I guess.

Casey shoot me your PDGA number and check your PM.

ajohnson

Postby ajohnson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:09 am

hey smitty this is austin johnson pga number 42199 see if I could still get lunch too thanks if not its ok

smitty

Postby smitty » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:38 am

THANKS ALL THAT CAME TO CHERRY!

Huge thanks to Chris Tyler, Shan Mann, Twitch, Alex for helping on the set-up. This event would not be nearly as kick butt without the rope, fence, mandos.

Huge thanks to BoBoe, Cliff, Jake, Ben Karr for helping with cards after the last round. Without there help we might still be in the park.

My only regret was that the day was so long! Right now the plan is to design 4 more holes make the course into an 18 hole course, capped at 90 players.

smitty

Postby smitty » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Here are the official results: http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/70347

Congrats to Crispin on the win. Outstanding round ratings are the result of great shooting.
Congrats to Jeff Vest on earning his first sanctioned PDGA win.
Great Shooting Don Carter. The only Masters player to break par.
Burley just put the Hammer to Bart and Dennis.
One of the most impressive things of the day has to go to Luke in Int. He went OB free for the first 2 rounds, and only had 1 OB the final round. That is saying something considering there is OB on EVERY hole!

Already looked at the ground for the 4 new holes next year, and the gears are already turning.

I would like to hear some feedback both good and bad on the holes. If you have a way to make them better let me know.

Here is the first change discussed between CT and I. Hole 14 the "Fence Hole" The tee is on the opposite side of the sidewalk. So basically the entire fairway is a giant island. Most people who ran at the bucket ended up OB with a drop in 3, that sucks. So next year if you "Miss the Island" you will throw from a drop zone about halfway to the basket. That small change will greatly change the scoring spread on that hole. This year it was either a 2 or 3 for the most part. I am sure there were a few 4 and there was a one.

Food for thought.

ronconversjr

Postby ronconversjr » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:10 pm

1st off, I'm getting ready to post some photos to my facebook page. 2ndly, this was one of the more mentally challenging courses it's been my pleasure to play. Smitty, a job well done. Hole 6 was my favorite change of the tourney, it kicked my ass! :lol: I look forward to seeing what next year brings.
Specializing in Zen golf!
www.DynamicDiscs.com

R/B

Postby R/B » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks smitty & crew for all your hard work in pulling off a fun challenging tourney! Alot of intense holes out there!
I think alot of us could evaluate our game capabilities by playing more courses like this. I personally feel like going back to the bench to work out some bugs after shooting here. :oops: I,d like to practice on more courses' like this for that one time when I could play USDGC. Who ever thought a course as open as cherry street could be thought of as a honing stone to sharpen the game before playing USDGC. It,s amazing what string on holes can do to create the focus of ones game. Perhaps we should incorporate this concept on more of our tournaments.

On hole 5 an idea could be to tee off further up on the grass between the fence and bathrooms, out into a some-what forgiving island, say 80' by 80' as a landing first shot,( alot of open field there) then throw your second onto a lest forgiving island around the basket, maybe a 50' by 50'. this would take away the risk of hitting any tennis players,and make this hole even more challenging. a double island hole is rad! I know some of you really enjoyed the high hyzer including the TD so dont hate me too much.

The food was awesome! I remember back in 91 eating armadilla eggs from a vendor cart right on that corner :D

Congrats to Crispin on his stellar play, and hats off to Swede for really stepping up his!
Thanks once again .

smitty

Postby smitty » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:19 pm

R/B wrote:
On hole 5 an idea could be to tee off further up on the grass between the fence and bathrooms, out into a some-what forgiving island, say 80' by 80' as a landing first shot,( alot of open field there) then throw your second onto a lest forgiving island around the basket, maybe a 50' by 50'. this would take away the risk of hitting any tennis players,and make this hole even more challenging. a double island hole is rad! I know some of you really enjoyed the high hyzer including the TD so dont hate me too much.

I agree the tennis players were an issue for sure. I am lucky they were cool and not a bunch of crabby old men. I do think that if I would have been thinking and would have hung a warning sign-up they may have used a different court. You are right, I do like throwing that over the top shot. It is a scary shot to throw with the Light poles, fence, hanging branches, cedars, and finally the rope on the other side.

With all that said, I did throw 3 not so good shots and ended up safe with a putter upshot. I know Crispin would be disappointed if it was gone. Since he had 6 strokes on it for the day. Watching you, Brendan, Mike all throw that gut shot was also scary.

Would a Double Island hole take away from the other Island hole?

The preliminary plan is to finish the court hole and throw a 370 footish may 400 foot hole that will play towards the East and across the open field. About 70-100 feet of the tee, there will be a triple mando. Forcing people to putt then drive or drive and the putt.

The double island could make the cut as one of the other 3 new holes. Good thing I have 360is days until next year.

By the way, we need to get you to the USDGC when it is back to the Championships.

crispinthomascarrasco

Postby crispinthomascarrasco » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:18 pm

The Cherry was a great day with great people, great golf, great course, great food, great weather, great everything! the rounds were so layed back and fun. everyone was in the mood to joke around and just enjoy each other's company. it was too hectic for an awards ceremony so I wanted to thank everyone who came out, thank you to everyone who helped make the day awesome, it was great to have the Handeye Corporation's Board of Trustees all in attendance, thank you Dynamic Discs for always supporting me and my brother, and a huge shout to a great buddy and teammate, Smitty. He is a disc golf super pimp. when we are all long gone 100 years from now, and our great great great grandchildren visit the KDGA Hall of Fame, I hope most of us will have our names engraved on a plaque or wall, but Smitty is on a short list of people who should have 10ft statues. Kansas Disc Golf would not be what it is without people like him invovled...see everyone in Beloit! One last shout to my boy THE SWEDE, sealin' the deal towards the end of the last round...that kind of golfing is great to witness.

P.S. Don Zimmerman (The Big Easy) hit the elevated basket hole for a sweet ace!

jump_putter

Postby jump_putter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Big props to Crispin and The Swede! Awesome play for sure! Cant wait to party with y'all in Beloit
-Ronnie Unruh #20079

smitty

Postby smitty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Smithouse Fantasy League results:

Pimpstress Snodgrass- 7
(Smitty, Sweets, Twitch)

Killer Kindy- 15
(Downtown, Houser, Foucet)

Swede the Mullet- 17
(Swede, Reek, Luke)

Bottom Bitch Snodgrass- 20
(Hickman, Devin, SNG)

Smit Dawgy Dawg- 25
(Ron, Vest, Hooper)

Sweet Phil from Sugar Hill- 33
(Tulp, Snodgrass, Adkins)

smitty

Postby smitty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:18 pm

crispinthomascarrasco wrote:The Cherry was a great day with great people, great golf, great course, great food, great weather, great everything! the rounds were so layed back and fun. everyone was in the mood to joke around and just enjoy each other's company. it was too hectic for an awards ceremony so I wanted to thank everyone who came out, thank you to everyone who helped make the day awesome, it was great to have the Handeye Corporation's Board of Trustees all in attendance, thank you Dynamic Discs for always supporting me and my brother, and a huge shout to a great buddy and teammate, Smitty. He is a disc golf super pimp. when we are all long gone 100 years from now, and our great great great grandchildren visit the KDGA Hall of Fame, I hope most of us will have our names engraved on a plaque or wall, but Smitty is on a short list of people who should have 10ft statues. Kansas Disc Golf would not be what it is without people like him invovled...see everyone in Beloit! One last shout to my boy THE SWEDE, sealin' the deal towards the end of the last round...that kind of golfing is great to witness.

Thanks for the compliments. There are many people in the line before me that deserve a 12 foot statue, including most of the original dozen, Scott Reek, Mace, and of Course Mike holding an abacus.

I was not a big fan of how the entire awards and player meeting went down. To hectic and to much other stuff going down. The 18 hole 2 round layout next year will solve this problem.

I think that we were surrounded by a ton of Great People and friends in the Open division. It was just as painful watching Randy, Hickman, Bo, and Speer going OB as it was when I did it myself. I just wish I could have felt a little more pain for all of them. :lol:

Vest

Postby Vest » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks Smitty and everyone else who made this tournament so badass. I have no idea how long it took to lay down all the OB string but considering it was EVERYWHERE, I'm sure it was no easy task! Thank you Chris Tyler for hookin up the BBQ at lunch. It hit the spot! CSDGC was definitely one of the most fun and challenging tournaments I have played so far. I was more than stoked to get my first sanctioned AM1 win and first official 1000+ rated round on such a sweet course. I had the pleasure of meeting and playing with some really cool people and I couldn't have picked a better group to play with the final round. It was great to get to play with Clay, he's usually working his butt off at the tournaments I have been to. Gotta give a big thanks to Disc Golf Mania. This tourney fell on a bad week for me and without Doyle's support I woud have missed out on one of my new favorite tournaments. Looking forward to next year! See you all in Beloit!

smitty

Postby smitty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Vest wrote:Thanks Smitty and everyone else who made this tournament so badass. I have no idea how long it took to lay down all the OB string but considering it was EVERYWHERE, I'm sure it was no easy task!

I will give you a rough estimate.

OB String was put out on Thursday night. Shan, Twitch, Alex, and I worked for probably 2.5 - 3 hours. Since we are able to use Sidewalks and R.R. Tracks on most of it, that really helps.

The fence hole, probably took CT and I 3 hours to collect and build on Thursday morning. Would have taken less had we not been forced to redo part of it.

The hardest job in my opinion was moving baskets, pulling baskets, and putting out temp. baskets. I probably spent 4 hours combined on this on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Clean-up was the easiest job. I was able to pick up all the stakes, string, take down Mandos, tear down the fence all in about 2.5 hours.

Hearing someone call it a Killer or Badass course makes it all worth it. Have only had 3 people complain to me about the course. Based on 2 of their finishes, they should have been complaining about their shots more.

One of the coolest things I witnessed during the rounds was Mike Speers. He bitched and moaned at me for a year about the island hole. First round he missed it, calmly picked up a different disc and parked it. Second round he walked up to it and gave it a P.J.. Don't know what happen the final round but I am assuming he put it on the circle.

Glad we could make this event so memorable for you Jeff. I have already put next year into action. Guarantee it will be better then this year.

opie

Postby opie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 am

Suggestion: Have "A" pool play 28 holes. Have "B" pool show up at 11:30 and play 14 holes. Have "A" pool play 14 holes and they are done. Then have "B" pool play 28 and they are done. This should minimize the long lunch wait.

Schedule tourney in early June (little bit cooler).
My people skills are just fine, it's my tolerance for idiots that need work.

smitty

Postby smitty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 am

opie wrote:Suggestion: Have "A" pool play 28 holes. Have "B" pool show up at 11:30 and play 14 holes. Have "A" pool play 14 holes and they are done. Then have "B" pool play 28 and they are done. This should minimize the long lunch wait.

Schedule tourney in early June (little bit cooler).

If we get denied use of Whittier and are forced to use 14 holes again we will for sure use your suggestion. As far as early June, to busy with other events. We will just fill the jugs and scramble for shade.

Return to “KDGA Oz Tour Tournament Information”