Kansas State Team Championships

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
kselrod

Re: Kansas State Team Championships

Postby kselrod » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:27 am

kselrod wrote:
b dale wrote:
kselrod wrote:I should be heading out early Friday afternoon. Hope to get in a round or two and meet some of you. If anyone would like to get together for a burger and a beer and catch the chiefs game Friday evening then I'd be up for that.

Too bad the Sports Bar went belly up. Of course I don't watch much hockey.

WHAT, you guys don't have a sports bar in this town. That's a deal breaker, I'm not coming now. Is this town in one of those "dry" counties I hear rumors about? I really didn't think those existed. LOL

Let me guess, you guys ban dancing too? Lol

Jethro33

Postby Jethro33 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Super stoked about tomorrow....the Free Agents are going to take this Team Event back to .....wait..... we are going to need several trophies when we win, 5 to be exact. 1 for each city being represented.
Disc Golf Mania!

Kindy

Postby Kindy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Just a reminder 9:15 a.m. players meeting. This is a mandatory meeting for everyone. We will explain all of the format during the meeting. See you in the morning.

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Is it pouring there?

kselrod

Postby kselrod » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:44 pm

smitty wrote:Is it pouring there?

Not any more. At least not inside the bar that I'm at...lol.

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Good. We were going to drop out if it was.

crispinthomascarrasco

Postby crispinthomascarrasco » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Huge props to the newton crew...they have enough experience playing events that they know damn sure how to run a smooth one...I can't wait til you guys start doing a tiers there...the hawk is awesome...state teams is gonna be huge next year once the word gets out how kick ass the locals and friends made it!

Swede

Postby Swede » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:12 am

Day one is in the books; the last of the competitors snoring contentedly on a former stranger's couch. The weather was perfect, spirits were high and many a team was clubbed upside the head with a 'Ta 'Ta stick. Handeye Corp.'s THROBOTS went 4-0 with Kingpin and Fluty sweeping their respective divisions. The Omnipotent Weasel Wranglers (also from the Air Capitol) seemed not to have ALL of the answers early on. But fueled by gas-station sandwiches and 5-hour energy, these knowledgeable varmint wrestlers won both matches after lunch to finish 2-2 in a tie for 2nd with the Wall-bangers from the Walnut Valley. The Wranglers had throttled the Valley boys 4-1 in the head to head Clash which was enough to earn them the second spot in the finals.

The day was long on drama with many Clashes decided by one stroke--often in extra holes. Fluty was pushed to extra holes at least twice in four rounds of perfection: once by Kindy Kane who, with the Clash up for grabs, tossed in several from 40+ coming down the stretch. Iqbal (THROBOTS) and Curtis (O.W.Wranglers) needed 5 extra holes on the first match of the day to settle their score. The THROBOTS won that Clash 3-2 with 3 of the 5 matches requiring extra frames. It is clear no matter which team works its way through the Mix Master Sunday morning, they will find themselves square in the middle of a pair of vengeful 'Ta 'Ta's.
Throw Millennium.

cfluty

Postby cfluty » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:27 pm

THANK YOU HAWKS!

smitty

Postby smitty » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:12 pm

That was a BLAST!

Several great moments for sure. Alex taking Shan to the 9th hole. Todd drilling his last hole of the event to collect the $75 ace fund plus 35 from the people on the card and in the gallery. WVDGA making it out of the mix master thanks to some killer golf. Finishing in a tie with Crispin and the rest of the throwbots then losing in the first tie breaker. Learning not to trust Snoopdogg's choice of alcoholic beverage.

The best part of the event was Laughing, hanging out, and playing the game that we all love with old and new friends. It was great to meet Dan and Todd and finally play a round with Juice. It was awesome that BoeBo was in Newton all weekend supporting "his club", dude lives 25 minutes from the course and had never played it.

Buddy Kassner proves once again that he is a STUD! Rolling into town for the finals and then breaking out a cash prize for the top 2 teams!

Last and for sure not least. Thanks to the Hawks for all the things you did to make this a never miss event for me.

kselrod

Postby kselrod » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks to Kindy, Swede and the Newton crew for making this a kick-ass fun filled weekend. Thanks Swede for letting me crash on your couch Friday night. That was a cool bar we hung out at that night. The Hawks did a fantatstic job running this event and making everyone feel welcome.

Start putting your teams together for next year because it will only be bigger and better! Loved the course and it's a great place to hang out and party after a long day of disc golf. Go Camp Hawk!

Smitty - I'll bring some Eazy-E and N.W.A to listen to next year to go along with your Snoop Dogg beverages...lol.

Peace out!!!!!

Swede

Postby Swede » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 am

Congrats to your Inaugural Kansas Team Champs, the HandEye THROBOTS! Well done, boys and gal.

MixMaster Results:

-----------------Best Shot------------Alt shot---------Total
-----------------Doubles--------------Trio
W.V.-------------------36-------------------41-----------77
Hawks-----------------39-------------------48-----------87
Free Agents-----------39-------------------53-----------92

It was a burly 13-hole course with 4 par 4's and a difficult par 3 (long 2). It played awfully tough on the alternating shot trio in the morning, but it gave a lot of chances to score in the afternoon. Around 50% of the holes in the finals were scored on (not pushed).

Final results:
THROBOTS-------6
W.V.D.G.A.------6
O.W.Weasels----3

HandEye 3.0pen got it done with their top 3 players. Kingpin, Wiggins, and Iqbal accounted for all six points by each winning both of their matches. Meanwhile Twitch and Shan swept the Int. and Swing division to help W.V.D.G.A put up their six points. The first tie-break is the head to head Clash between the teams which the THROBOTS won 3-2. It was a tie-break Saturday which knocked the Valley boys out of the Finals and into the MixMaster. Every stroke proved precious this weekend (take that however you want) and many matches were decided by just one. Case in point, Iqbal hit a stupid-long putt on the dike to push the final hole and hold on for a one hole victory over Cliff. (Sweets has a picture, maybe we can get him to post it.)

The finals were everything I hoped it would be. The staggered start times built the gallery and gave us a progressively clearer picture of who needed to win what as the last few divisions came in. This was a ton of fun just to be around and watch. I can't wait for a chance to play it.

Kudos to Kindy. I don't remember how many years ago you showed up with an Innova starter set and asked if you could play with us, but I'm damn glad you did. From that first forward moment, your initiative has been infectious. I don't know that I ever would have played a tournament had you not been so excited to go play one yourself. You and Smitty put this thing that nobody is doing on the schedule, and then you made it happen. 25 players playing for no money is no small thing. I'm glad to be a part of it. Congrats, brother.

Elrod, thanks for proof-reading those cards! Crisis averted!

Free Agents, you and hometown squad had a tough go of it competition-wise but I hope you had some fun. Can't thank you enough for getting together and helping make this a blast of a weekend instead of a blip of a Saturday.

Cheers to Sweets, Big D, Juice, and the Toddler for doing all the things you do and knowing how to get down and get funky.
Throw Millennium.

Swede

Postby Swede » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:15 am

oh, and I forgot to say, HELL YEAH, BUDDY!
Throw Millennium.

Jethro33

Postby Jethro33 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:30 am

Thanks Newton crew for putting on this event. I think I am speaking for everyone when I say you guys did a great job. You guys kept everyone involved and werent afraid to ask for opinions throughout the whole weekend. It really made for a great 1st Kansas Teams event. I got to say when I left the course last night I was already ready for next years. So excited to see some more teams come out and add to the fun.

Once again great job to the boys from NEWTON!!!!
Disc Golf Mania!

dragonessk

Postby dragonessk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks so much for the invite!! I hope to be a part of this again next year; one of the most fun tourneys I have been to in quite a while. spirits were high and the discs flew well! Awesome job to everybody who made this happen!!

Return to “KDGA Oz Tour Tournament Information”