Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

2008 Wichita Ice Bowl

Tournament information for KDGA Oz Tour events
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

We'll have plenty of new discs in for the tourney.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

This event will be a KDGA OZ tour stop.

10 bonus points for attending. I'll try to print out some KDGA membership forms, because you have to sign up that day or before in order to get your points (for Ice Bowl events).
iqbal

Post by iqbal »

Can we use Bob bucks?
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

They are always good at ACDGC events. The idea is to raise real bucks though.
disclizard

Post by disclizard »

mike do you have ice bowl discs?
Chain smoker
Ron

Post by Ron »

I signed up for some membership in a tourney at oak park this past fall. Is that the KDGA thing or do I need more memberships?
Ron Richert
jtkustomizer

Post by jtkustomizer »

Ron wrote:I signed up for some membership in a tourney at oak park this past fall. Is that the KDGA thing or do I need more memberships?

I dont know for sure but It sounds like that was for the Air Capital Disc Golf Membership drive. The KDGA is the state club and it is well worth being a member. check the bottom of this page for the prime example of whats you actually get from being a member....viewtopic.php?t=2466&start=15&postdays= ... highlight=

Tournaments-Ice bowl season page 2 at the bottom since the link didnt work
Ron

Post by Ron »

I think it was mike who signed me up. Got a couple discs and some info that of course I lost. If I am a member someplace I guess I should have a number or know my responsabilities.
Ron Richert
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Ron Richert?

If so, yeah, your Air Capital Disc Golf Club (Wichita) membership number is 2008-140. Nobody usually asks, but the number starts with the year you sign up and the dash number is the number of total different members since we started the numbers in 2000. You have to renew yearly to keep your number. You signed up at the membership drive, so you are good for 2008.

Most of us are KDGA members as well. I think the "Ice Bowl Season" thread kinda went into the benefits of joining the KDGA. It actually pays to be a member. Win or lose, every event is just a great time. And we had 35 events last year!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Lizard,

Yes we did get some Ice Bowl stamped discs. We also received 68 discs to throw into our club stock. 126 discs total w/o the ice bowl discs.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Well it looks like we are locked in for great weather this weekend. I hope you die hard ice bowl fans aren't disappointed.

We'll be able to play the whole park for the course. Bill laid it out and I changed some stuff around on about half the holes, mostly in the middle of the course. I wouldn't call it 50/50 though, cause Bill came up with the original pattern, which is the hard part.

I've been out there several times and shortened the course every time. It plays really par 3ish now for advanced, with one par 4 on 17. I shot 57 tonight, but I had half a dozen putts from 30' that I didn't count. Only counted the 25's and in.

There will be maps with distances. I'll give you the hole details now, though without playing them, it's no real help. Might help with some feedback later though. Ideally, Oaklawn might consider funding such a course in the future.

I tried to make sure every hole gave a chance for birdie and bogey. All holes are birdy-able for the advanced division. Other divisions might get an equal balance of 3's and 4's, which would also make them decent holes. There are some great ideas for more par 4's, which would be great for scoring distribution, but they didn't seem appropriate for an ice bowl tournament. Juniors play from short tees on 4 holes. Novice and women are recommended to play them as well, but if all players in the division decide they don't want to, that can be their option.

Hole 1. 388' The course starts close to the community center and heads north through the more open section of the park. There is supposed to be a south wind, which makes the course a little easier, or at least no tougher. Most of the longer and more open holes, like this one, head north. Two trees make the hole a low ceiling shot. There are several routes. Righty hyzer, lefty slight hyzer, huge lefty wide hyzer, and righty backhand turnover roller. Slightly favors righty. Not on the map, but basketball court to the left is OB.

Hole2. 277' This hole plays through some evenly spaced trees. Low ceiling straight shot for righty. Low ceiling, but open hyzer for lefty. Slightly favors lefty.

Hole 3. 429' (284' from the short tee). This hole, like hole 1, has several options, all with a low ceiling. Lefty hyzer or righty anny, righty hyzer, or a more open but wider righty hyzer, and also the roller option. The green is on a tricky natural mound, so don't want to go long.

Hole 4. 360' Again, 4 distinct routes. The wind direction and intensity could determine the best choice. Open tee shot, but several large trees in they way about 2/3 way to the hole. As many holes out here do, this hole has potential to be much longer, but was toned down. It also could be that this hole is best as a par 3.

Hole 5. 300' There is a tree in front of the tee and a couple right before the basket, with the pin in between them. There is OB about 60' behind the basket, but this shouldn't be a factor. The original hole played along this OB line for 500 some feet. Straight low mid, lefty hyzer or a tougher low righty hyzer can all get you a 2 on this hole.

Hole 6. 257' A Bill Paulson original. This is a cool hole. Uphill shot that plays either down a path and shorter for a righty or out in the open landing into a hillside for a lefty. One of the easier holes, but will you get the duece?

Hole 7. 232' Tunnel shot down the main path that seperates the open and wooded sides of this park. This path is also about 10 feet higher than both sides of the course. This hole finishes right, so its a lefty shot. A righty throwing a putter the correct distance can also get a great shot at a 2.

Hole 8. 372' Slighty downhill tee shot. Again, several different routes. straight down a loosely defined tunnel, a righty hyzer, and huge wide and tall righty hyzer if there is a strong south wind, and an open lefty hyzer.

Hole 9. 365' This hole was shortened 5 times! It still isn't easy. Uphill righty slight turnover shot. 2/3 of the way down a mean tree on the right and a group of nasty ones on the left. I had an idea that 8 and 9 would make a great skip a hole down the path. You'd loose two fun holes for a great par 3.5 of 444'.

Hole 10. 216' As the crow flies, it is under 200'. Short, but not easy. Sharp lefty hyzer. A thumber seems like it would work, but it would most likely end up short or long. Tough pin placement near some nasty trees. You have to be careful. This should be an easy hole, but things could go wrong...

Hole 11. 289' Yet another lefty hole. It plays through an early gap in the trees and down the nature trail. The basket is uphill, tucked behind 3 gnarly bushes.

Hole 12. 298' Okay, a righty hole. It has one tall tree 1/3 of the way down that really makes the hole tougher. Prefered shot is a gentle righty hyzer in tight on this tree. Another option is a wider hyzer around a 2nd tree closer and more to the right. I suppose another shot would be a two finger tomahawk that doesn't corkscrew much.

Hole 13. 198' Here is a traditional 'ice bowl' hole. I wish there were more of these. There certainly could be out here. The terrain is really good out there. Undulation and lots of big trees and small trees. Wide open paths throughout. The only problem with playing these short woods holes is that they are too rough. You might throw what looks like a perfect shot and find out you are in a thorn bush 15' from the basket with a tough shot for a 3! This park could support 36 holes. We'd just need to trim up some fairways for the woods holes. I imagine this area gets insane come summer time. The open areas are pretty playable except for the reeds / stalks that could easily be brush-hogged down for summer play. Back to the hole. If trimmed out, it could have a lefty route. It is a short and sharp righty hyzer. Originally a putter shot with a longer tee and a pin to the right, it was changed because the tee was a little too close to the previous pin. This hole was originally going to play as a par 4 for the first round to a pin right next to the gate on a downslope. Only 350', but a good 4. Decided this hole was cool enough as a par 3, that most players would like to play it twice. Also had an idea to make a short hole after 13 that would play to the same location down by the gate. As it is, there is about a 300' walk to hole 14.

Hole 14. 350' Low ceiling drive with trees left and more to the right. Pin is up on top of a hill with a drop off behind. At the bottom of the hill on the far side, the property is no longer Oaklawn's. Please keep this in mind.

Hole 15. 284' This hole looks like one you would expect to see in a public disc golf park. It has nicely trimmed trees that narrow down to the green. Though not the shortest, this is probably the easiest hole on the course. Though not marked on the map, pavillion and bathroom are OB. (No shot should ever end up here).

Hole 16. First round: 449' (356 from short tee). Second round: 279' (186' from short tee). This hole is the one hole that has significant OB. Baseball field on the other side of a chain link fence directly to the right. Tough for either, but probably worse for lefty. Options for the long pin are laying up short, playing a go-for-it long straight drive, or playing a long hyzer over the ball field. The approach is also tricky as their is an OB wooden fence about 25 feet behind the pin. For the second round, the challenge is not making a 3, but a 2. The basket will be right on the other side from a gate with the fence just to the left and an extremely nasty tree just to the right. The basket is so close to the gate that players will make a decision to throw over or through the top two bars when putting.

Hole 17. 620' (400' from short tee). This one is a memorable dog leg. The tee shot is a long righty hyzer. That is the only shot. You just want to make sure you miss the early trees and get some distance. I wouldn't say the tee shot is insignificant though, because it very much determines what type of shot you will throw next. There is a couple of big trees in the way for the 2nd shot. The green is on an upslope in a pocket with trees all around it. Pros will probably average around 3.6 for the toughest hole by far on the course.

Hole 18. 327' (262' from short tee). There is a tree line to the right that turns right and the tee is close against it. I hope Chris Mattison doesn't come to this event. Cause he might own these lefty holes. Hole 18 is just that. It is short enough that righty can work a turnover or roller to this blind bucket. Cool pin placement behind some trees and in front of many more. This hole also was originally a much tougher shot with 3 or 4 for scores.

The worst thing about the layout is that 18 is a ways from hole 1. Keep this in mind. After you hole out on 18, you walk through the woods around tee 17 (pay attention to the low hanging branches!). You need to take the path through the woods that takes you close to 17's tee. Otherwise, you'll come out close to 16's basket (okay the 2nd round) and you'll need to turn sharp left to stay out of their way.

I know, a lot of unnecessary info. I had fun playing around with this layout. Thanks to Bill for inspiring it. I hope you all have fun with it. I'd also enjoy hearing any other ideas for a good hole out there.
Last edited by Schoen-hopper on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friz-Rocker

Post by Friz-Rocker »

Is hole 18 the only roller hole?
Will there be crack for sale between rounds?[Oaklawn is well known for criminal activity-that`s why our club rejected this land 13 years ago]
When you have to choose between your woman and discgolf,don`t be stupid-choose the discgolf.
stauf

Post by stauf »

i've been playing the ice bowl for lots of years and it has always been one of my favorite tournaments. what i loved most was the unique course designs, especially at oak. very tight wooded holes and lots and lots of trouble. there were simply shots you would never throw at any course at any tournament. shooting 7 and 8's were not out of the question. after the first round everyone was talking about the trouble they encountered or the trouble they avoided through sheer luck. i was dissappointed the city quit allowing the use of the old oak woods, but now here comes oaklawn and there is a ton of wooded space, yet over half of the holes set up are wide open. i appreciate greatly the work everyone in the club puts in on these tournaments, but i miss the crazy holes of the ice bowl and i think there is a classic ice bowl course at oaklawn. is there still any one who wants crazy ice bowl holes?
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

I've been pushing to get the Ice Bowl back at Oak every year so far. Everyone tells me that is a bad idea. Not worth risking a problem.

I can sympathize with Kevin. That was my first thought after seing thr first couple holes the first time. While I wouldn't say that any of the holes play wide open, I can try to tell you why we ended up not doing an all woods course.

First, when Bill laid out the original layout, he was doing so with the knowledge that the land in the woods was not Idlewild Park and couldn't be used.

Second, when we found out it was Idlewild, we were told that we couldn't drive anywhere back along the trails in there as that is their policy.

Just recently they told us they would make an exception for us. After this, Bill suggested we make an all woods course in case of bad weather, it would offer some protection from the elements.

After already having put 12 hours in out there scouting the place, I ended up going out there 3 more times to see about an alternate layout. The problem I faced was first that we would have to scrap all the good wooded holes in the original layout because of flow issues. Then I was looking at these holes and thinking they'd be dangerous to the players. Thorns of every sort growing about and the type of trees you see at Colwich extending all the way to the floor. I was also thinking that these kind of holes wouldn't be really fair as a great shot might leave you a terrible lie. The holes would have to be really, really short. The terrain is really good back there and a good course could be made, for sure. But it is no Oak Park. You would need to do some major trimming sculpt some holes through there. In other areas, though, the woods area plays through wide open clearings. So it's kinda like your playing half a hole or more in the wide open or hacking away at the vegetation on a hole that is in complete jail. Time would be an issue. There is a lot of areas that would have blind holes, or areas where a disc could be lost. This would add time as well.

Bottom line for me was, Yes we could play an all woods course, but at what cost? I think the layout we'll be using will be fair and fun and it certainly makes good use of the trees. It also showcases disc golf to those would might be interested in a permanent course in their park.

If after playing the course, players still long for a jungle experience, we can consider this for next year if we want to do Oaklawn again. Or even better, maybe we can persuade the Oaklawn Improvement Community to fund a course and we could use the woods for a permanent course! There really is enough land out there for 36 holes. It's only being used right now by dirt bike riders, which aren't supposed to be back there as far as I know. Oh yeah, and there are a lot of deer! I've seen between 6 and 20 every single time I've been out there around sunset.
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Friz-Rocker wrote:Is hole 18 the only roller hole?
Will there be crack for sale between rounds?[Oaklawn is well known for criminal activity-that`s why our club rejected this land 13 years ago]
I don't know about 13 years ago, but the Oaklawn community is doing a little better now days. I think these people on the Oaklawn Improvement board are really trying to make a difference.

Yes there are several good roll holes. Hole 1,2,3,4,5,8,9,11,18 come to mind.

No crack, Friz. In fact, there is no alcohol allowed in the building.