Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Norton news

Norton news and info
_dm4

Norton news

Post by _dm4 »

Still no alts. pins. Still no new fairway on 13. Will be contacting the City guy again this week. Not sure what to do to get the ball rolling.

I did have a round with 12 birds in it yesterday, but I had 2 fours also. Still, I was happy.

Lots of people have been playing disc in Norton, from little kids to elderly. I am thinking about having a clinic and giving away a free disc to the first 50 people that come to it, with some golf afterwards. Could be fun!

JimBob, if you read this, got any ideas on how to get some alt pins in the ground?
Sandman

Re: Norton news

Post by Sandman »

_dm4 wrote: JimBob, if you read this, got any ideas on how to get some alt pins in the ground?
Most of the time people dig a hole then put some concrete in it.
superq

Post by superq »

a metal sleve slightly larger ID than the baskets pole od stuck in the concrete filled hole will work very well... I suggest using 3/8 thickness so mowers wont jack it up, or you could always invest in some 3 foot poles... :P
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Sounds like a plan!
_dm4

Re: Norton news

Post by _dm4 »

Sandman wrote:
_dm4 wrote: JimBob, if you read this, got any ideas on how to get some alt pins in the ground?
Most of the time people dig a hole then put some concrete in it.
Not that simple in Norton. I have to go through them.
superq

Post by superq »

home depot rents a gas powered post hole digger, if you are working with decent ground not to rocky or tree roots, you can bust out 18 holes in a few hours, make sure you have a vehicle to move from spot to spot though lugging that thing around is a pain. 8)

as far as cement goes, it takes about 1-3 bags of quickcrete to make a placement, good rule of thumb is concrete at least 8 inches down and 16 inch diamater. those big water jugs like 20+ gallon work well off the back of a pickup.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Thanks Q!
nastyNate

Post by nastyNate »

you gotta home depot in Norton?
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

nastyNate wrote:you gotta home depot in Norton?
Thats funny!!!!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

superq wrote:home depot rents a gas powered post hole digger, if you are working with decent ground not to rocky or tree roots, you can bust out 18 holes in a few hours, make sure you have a vehicle to move from spot to spot though lugging that thing around is a pain. 8)

as far as cement goes, it takes about 1-3 bags of quickcrete to make a placement, good rule of thumb is concrete at least 8 inches down and 16 inch diamater. those big water jugs like 20+ gallon work well off the back of a pickup.

We did some that were only 8-10 inches in diameter and like 18-24 inches deep. They took less concrete and were easier to dig up. Seemed stable enough.

I've heard KC puts their sleeves where they protrudes several inches above ground level. Any thoughts on how best to make this happen?
superq

Post by superq »

yea you can do it one of two ways, either pre drill the hole in the sleve, and set it in then drill the pole on site so it is the right height after it is all said and done, or drill them both at once, and when you set the sleve make sure the height is correct, I think KC has theres so the bottom of the basket rests on the top of the sleve, this is a great idea to keep the mowers at bay, they also use caps on the sleves that arent in use to keep random things from getting stuffed in them ( no need for three foot poles)

The other school of thought is keep the sleves low to the ground and use a 1/4 or thicker pipe for the sleve so when the mowers do hit them it is the blade that gets jacked not the sleve, (not sure the city will like that but hey they are mowing grass not qualifying for Indy)
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

superq wrote:three foot poles
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

nastyNate wrote:you gotta home depot in Norton?
We have a home store, and an Ace. So no, not even close. Oh, I forgot, we have "Kow Poke Supply"! They might even be a future sponsor since we bought a washer and dryer from them. :shock:
McCabe
Regional Rep

Post by McCabe »

Whats wrong with our 3 foot poles?
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

McCabe wrote:3 foot poles?