Due to inactivity the KDGA forums have been locked. All past threads are still available. Please join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/kansasdiscgolf!

Norton news

Norton news and info
_dm4

Re: Norton news

Post by _dm4 »

Kent has been doing some work on the course, repairing baskets and such. Maybe he will chime in here and say what all he has been doing, since I am not sure myself. :)

I have not been able to play except a couple rounds in the last month. I hurt my heel right before McCook and it has gone down hill from there. I am trying to exercise, ice, stretch, and wear a night splint, which is the recommended treatment for plantar fasciitis, but nothing seems to help. I am hoping to be well enough to play Thomas Park!
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Well, I have been icing my foot, stretching it and all the stuff I am supposed to do, but I think my foot is staying the same, or just a tiny bit better (trying to be positive). I will try to keep from playing this winter and see if it gets better. I was going to go deer hunting on the 3rd of December (tomorrow), but will have to let the others go. I am sure they will have a happy day without me! It is tough not to be there, but that's the way it goes!

Usually by this time of year I have driven to Hays, McCook, Oberlin, and maybe a few other towns to play. I am really getting bummed not being able to play. Like I said though, that's the way it goes.

Kent and I are going to meet sometime in the next few days and get some ideas going about the upcoming year. I am sure we will have another food drive event in January. We are also going to have a clinic of some sort in the Spring for all the new players in Norton (there are quite a few). Kent wants to clean up the course and start on a new fairway on 13 in the woods, so that will be great! Not sure how much I will be able to help.
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Well, I went out and threw some flicks today with Kent. Since backhands seem to be effecting my foot because of the twisting motion, I thought flicks might be better, since you are throwing off your other foot. We will know by tomorrow. Felt good to just be outside throwing! Did I mention I suck at flicks? I am sure I will get better at this (couldn't get much worse at it) and it will add another shot to my game!

Kent has been in contact with "New Age Industries" here in Norton. They are the people that made our baskets originally. Kent gave them some specs and they made up a new one. They are pretty sweet! They are close to a "Mach II New", but made of alluminium (not sure now to spell that). I am pretty sure they will make enough for the whole course. We are going to look into having some practice baskets made to raffle off at our tourneys. Good going Kent!
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

I Posted today on the Nebdisc forum for our tournament. Hope to get some guys down from Nebraska. Going to go play today and I am going to try to get started on the 13 fairway this week, so it should be a bit different for the food drive at least one round.
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

I never got around to working on 13. It is supposed to snow this weekend, but maybe the next nice one we can get some guys together and bust it all out in a a day. Don we will have to plan this a bit.
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
smitty

Post by smitty »

If you guys plan on making it into a "tunnel" shot at all.

Please don't make it a standard run of the mill straight as an arrow tunnel shot. Add some shape to it. Either make it an anhyzer (RHBH) or a hyzer, or even 2 turns if it will allow it.

I am still looking for the perfect place to design the tunnel shot that has an "island of crap" in the middle, but ample room to hyzer on both sides. Kind of a mirror image hole. I have never played one, the closest I have seen was on Black Hawk in Tulsa.

Good luck.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

We are lookin at I would say a long anhyzer to short hyzer s RHBH with a few big trees scattered around, and creek inn play to the left. About 250ish don may agree or disagree. That's kinda what I would call it. If the tee box was at 0 degrees the pin would be about 20-30 to the right. Two big trees kinda natural double mando. I think it will make a nice alt hole. However I like the original it is kinda signature. IMO
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Played in McCook on Friday. Was hot! I shot my best ever there with a -6! I had 3 fours so that's 9 birdies! Bad thing is, I missed 3 putts inside the circle for birds! Had a good looking run on hole 6, went right over the basket! Was a good round and a lot of fun! I did throw two drives on the first hole (aka Windfield). McCook is always fun! Would have been more fun to be in Ransom!! :(
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

I had six birdes today to shoot even my first round then 2 rounds at 5 over! 10 over for 3 rounds what a great day for golf
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

kscustom wrote:I had six birdes today to shoot even my first round then 2 rounds at 5 over! 10 over for 3 rounds what a great day for golf
Nice!
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Kent and I were throwing a round of disc golf in some wind today, when all of a suden my disc ended up in 17's basket. I was standing on the tee when it happened! Hole-in-one! Was a lot of fun hitting an ace, and I was glad Kent was with me when it happened. Kent, it's your turn.
kscustom

Post by kscustom »

That was an awesome ass ace! Don was the man! Bet your glad I got that disc back for you.

In other news I've still been waiting on the signage quote need to go check on it and get these baskets replaced!
Soslychickenfry
Semper ludere optimus
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Yep, am glad! Keep up the good work on course improvements. Let me know what I need to do to help you out (within reason, of course). We can have a "club" meeting anytime, lol. Maybe we should invite the public???
_dm4

Post by _dm4 »

Strange things are happening in Norton! All the baskets except #12 have now been set to short. I don't have a huge problem with this, since the majority of players are "Ams". They were mad at Kent and I and moved them to short. We are not mad! They are the majority. But, I try to explain to them that this will not improve their game, and, if we have a tourney with all the baskets set to short, many disc golfers won't come back! The other strange things that are going on in Norton (that I am aware of) have to do with trimming trees. Someone cleared out all the small trees on #7, #8, and in the opening in the trees on #13. I am not sure, but it has to be the city or the prison working for the city. It looks great! It does not make for good disc golf! The trees are still there, they are just trimmed. Dead branches are cleared away, so that is good. I don't know how to get those in charge to ask me what trees can be trimmed and what can't. I do a majority of course maintenance in the summer, but this is way beyond that! Ouch!
Schoen-hopper

Post by Schoen-hopper »

Hate it when that happens!